How do I change my password?

For issues relating to the site, including technical problems.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here, thank you. This forum is for problems you may be having with the site itself.
dramaticat

How do I change my password?

#1 Post by dramaticat » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:52 pm

I'm looking in User Control Panel and can't see anything! But then I am ill (which is a useful excuse for a lot of things!!!).
Dear Mr Optimist, Mr Pessimist and Mr Realist, While you were arguing about the glass of water, I drank it! Yours sincerely, Mr Opportunist.

Scurra
Alias the Jester

Re: How do I change my password?

#2 Post by Scurra » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:04 pm

Good point. At the moment you can't change your password there. This is a hangover from when we had a combined site and the same login and password would work for both sites, which we don't use at the moment.

However - and this is a big however, although it hasn't been formally announced yet! - we are going to return to that system in the very near future (not the very next issue but probably the one after that.)

So if you can wait for another few weeks, then the facility to change your password (and your contact details, like your email address) will be restored.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

dramaticat

#3 Post by dramaticat » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:06 pm

Thanks. I only wanted to change it because I couldn't log in, so requested a new password. Of course the automatic ones aren't memorable!

I'll keep the email handy so I can cut and paste it until you let us know of further developments.
Dear Mr Optimist, Mr Pessimist and Mr Realist, While you were arguing about the glass of water, I drank it! Yours sincerely, Mr Opportunist.

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#4 Post by LAT » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:50 pm

Following on from the above!!

Can I change my password? And if I do will it automatically change on the dotcom site at the same time without me changing it there?

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#5 Post by Scurra » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:13 pm

In the User Control Panel here, you should be able to select "Profile - Edit Account Settings" and change your password there (this does, however, involve entering your current password and I'm not sure that "saved" passwords work there.)

But no, the two sites are definitely separate. I did explore the possibility of linking files but it got too complicated too quickly. So if you want to change your password, you have to do it on both sites. On the other hand, the other site doesn't require you to remember your old password, just the email address you used to register with.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

LAT
Nagging Nora

#6 Post by LAT » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:04 pm

OK, thanks.

I have changed the password on here but can't see where to change it on the dotcom site :?:

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#7 Post by Scurra » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:34 pm

Ah. You can't do it when you are logged in! You have to log out, and choose the option "forgotten password"... (I think I hadn't considered the possibility that people might just want to change their password!)

LAT
Nagging Nora

#8 Post by LAT » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:49 pm

Sorry to be awkward!

I have used the same password for the whole time and it is one I have used elsewhere and one of those places was hacked a few years ago. I changed the password there and just recently decided I should maybe change it in the other couple of sites where I still use it!

My problem will probably be to remember I have changed it here! :lol: