poetry

Discuss the puzzles from Art History here.
kingsley

Re: poetry

#61 Post by kingsley » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:54 pm

It was the DT teacher. She said that she thought it was really hard to give out DT homework, and she didn't really think that after us spending all afternoon writing about how good our birdboxes are, we'd want to spend all evening doing it as well!

giraffe
Twigi

#62 Post by giraffe » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:41 pm

There seemed to be plenty of DT homework at the weekend. Not much evidence of any other homework, but plenty of DT :roll:

kathlyn

#63 Post by kathlyn » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:58 pm

whats DT, don't remember anything called DT when i was at school? other than an alcohol related condition.
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#64 Post by LAT » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:03 pm

:lol:
Did you really learn about that at school?

(think it's design technology)

giraffe
Twigi

#65 Post by giraffe » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:36 pm

That's right. It seems to cover everything from cookery and needlework to woodwork/metalwork, but involves a sort of project, giving alternative designs for something and reasons why they do or don't work, costings etc.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#66 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:30 pm

giraffe wrote:That's right. It seems to cover everything from ..... to woodwork/metalwork,
Ah but these days they are called "resistant materials" just to confuse us all! :roll: The good news is that having been deprived of doing resistant materials woodwork and metalwork when I was at school JUST BECAUSE I WAS A GIRL :cry: and forced to do namby textiles technology sewing and food technology cooking, I now finally have my opportunity to get my hands on things like lathes, saws and hammers etc.! What fun! :D

EDIT

Sorry, this thread seems to have got somewhat sidetracked... :oops:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#67 Post by LAT » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:32 pm

:shock:
Are you insured?

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#68 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:40 pm

:lol: What, you mean for when Scurra runs at me with a hammer for spoiling his poetry thread? Probably not!!

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#69 Post by gill216 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:01 pm

He'll have to find you first if you ticked the box to remove your details from the database :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have them because you've subscribed but I'm not sure Scurra does anymore.......................

Back to the school/homework thing. My great niece (that makes me feel so old) is 17 and goes to a school with a difference and its not cheap. She has been there from an early age. The pupils aren't forced to learn anything at all. If they want to dig in the garden all day they can. Digging in the garden and growing flowers etc prompts a natural curiosity re biology, latin etc. and then they want to know more so they choose to go to the classes. So on and so forth. I imagine it takes a certain type of child to benefit from this kind of education but she has done really well.

Before anyone asks, yes, her parents are somewhat "new age" but her father is headmaster of a school that takes only children who have been expelled from the state system in general, not just a particular school. He's made something of a lot of the youngsters who turn up there and has now been poached to do the same in France.

I find the theory very interesting but I'm not sure that I'd have been brave enough to take the chance with my own offspring.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#70 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Ah, well, I think I know of a similar school locally. It works brilliantly well for bright, motivated pupils - my son has a friend who went there and has achieved amazing things and is a lovely, well rounded individual. However, I work at the local comprehensive, where we have been on the receiving end of pupils who have failed in that school, and have moved to us.They are then utterly unable to cope with "normal" school life and rules, and a few have gone completely "off the rails".
He'll have to find you first if you ticked the box to remove your details from the database
Oh phew, I'll remove the hitman I've posted in my front garden then. :mrgreen: