Difficulty Level and feedback *** SPOILER WARNING ***

Discuss the puzzles from Art History here.
strep98
One Hot Cherub
Currently reading: Moon Sister

Re: Difficulty Level and feedback

#21 Post by strep98 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:12 pm

As one who loves puzzles but can very rarely complete one with out hints and large kicks up the backside I must say it felt like the old days of DVP and runes, when someone givce you a little push and you fall flat on your face and find the answer (and then feel stupid).

Thank you both and I can't wait till the next one, but if they get any harder (for me that is) I may need a few more friends to give kick and a free tube of bruise cream with the next issue. :?
I don't have hot flushes. I have short holidays in the Tropics.
Women are Angels And when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to flyon a broomstick We are flexible like that.
A pesimist is only an optimist who knows more

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#22 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:14 pm

Me too. Maybe you should supply both headache pills and arnica with the next issue?
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#23 Post by Scurra » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:40 pm

BassBloke wrote:PS. Are you planning to publish the "solutions" to the puzzles in future editions (like DVP did - eventually)?
Yes, the plan is to publish the solutions in the following issue of the print magazine. Gill has seen all the answers in the draft version of issue two, so she can tell you if they make any sense :D
BassBloke wrote:If you can "read" our tries at solutions, then I have posted a special one just for you Scurra. Ha!! :D
As I think I have said elsewhere, I decided not to keep a log of "guesses" because I didn't think there was enough disk space in the universe to handle that file :lol: :wink:
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

pnward
Currently reading: Song For Susannah

#24 Post by pnward » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:23 am

Have to say I love the format and love the varying challenges and I know how frustrating it must feel trying to get a balance. The truth is a balance is going to be pretty impossible (nothings impossible, yes it is, stop talking to yourself, ok), I know this is differnet but I run pub quizzes here in Spain and some weeks you feel great because the teams are so close in the final scores and other weeks you feel like a shit because 1 team gets the lowest score ever and another wins by miles, balance is always the hardest part.
I loved the puzzles and to me part of solving the puzzles is working with others through PMs saying what youve got, finding what theyve got and then realising somewhere in the middle you have the way forward.
My two peneth worth is keep up the good work.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#25 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:47 am

pnward wrote:(nothings impossible, yes it is, stop talking to yourself, ok)
:lol: :lol:
My two peneth worth is keep up the good work.
Absolutely!

SparkOut
International Man of Mystery

#26 Post by SparkOut » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:25 pm

Scurra wrote:I accept the point about searching for answers.
A bit late to come back on this just now, but to restate for the record, I love finding things out and looking things up. Puzzles that make you go and get extra information - even obscure stuff (as long as it's accessible) - are fine by me. If you can learn anything from puzzling then that can be as satisfying as doing the puzzle itself. I don't like being deliberately held up, but if I need to investigate, then that's great.
(I hadn't got a clue about the film posters and I needed a lot of hints, but with help it made it possible to find and confirm the poster images.)

katsmom

#27 Post by katsmom » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:18 pm

I'm answering very late.
I for one love having to research the answers. Some of the puzzles had a glimmer of recognition in the back part of my brain that stores useless knowledge. Sometimes it took a minor hint to kick start it again, other times it took a brick up side the head.
With the exception of the surealism crossword, I think they were all doable with a bit of time and patience.

I'd love to request a free week off work with every magazine for the extra internet searching time. :lol: Can you arrainge that with my boss?

A hints section would be nice, but I guess you would need to find a way to make it unobvious (that must be a word). And I agree with Bunnylump, No horrid cryptograms or ciphers to decode! I look forward to the next issue even though I haven't had the time to finish this one. But then Christmas is coming so I should be able to finish before issue number 2 comes out.....when is the next long holiday???

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#28 Post by tricia » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:04 am

I too like the magazine - a hints section would be nice - But everone on the forum is extemely helpful.

I like investigating but get frustrated when I cnn't find the trail.

No doubt as the magazine progresses we shall all get used to your style of puzzle and that also should help in solving the puzzles.

Well done on issue 1 ,I am still plugging away,
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

giraffe
Twigi

#29 Post by giraffe » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:48 pm

pnward said
I know this is differnet
Is that when an internet forum can't agree on the answer to a puzzle? :lol:

Cenwulf
The Complete Fool
Currently reading: Schott's Miscellanies

#30 Post by Cenwulf » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:24 pm

Bunnylump wrote:Being a beginner in the puzzle setting scene, I can tell you that I have been gobsmacked at some of the puzzles people found "impossible" (which I had thought were easy) and how easy some of my "hard" puzzles have been.
I concur with this sentiment. Some of the puzzles I put up at the Other Place didn't seem hard to me as there was a simple trick to discover - but nobody seemed to get it (Clean Cup and Vidican Island, for example). Whereas others were considered a challenge but were solved fairly quickly (like Face the Musicals).
Unfortunately, the number of ways of doing something wrong far exceed the number of ways of doing it right. G. Kasparov

16000 - 30/03/2017

neves-ytnewt rebmun rebmem suomynona srelzzup

Wulfruna

#31 Post by Wulfruna » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:44 pm

Well, for anyone who is still watching the Forums for Issue 1, this is just to say that I have finally arrived and am getting the hang of things nicely!
Some of you may even be aware that I am Scurra's Mum (O Woe, Woe.... to think that in his infancy I may have set him on the downward track to the warped thinking that has resulted in all of this!)
Initially I had resisted a regular commitment to Puzzlebrains - but now that I have finally received the first issue, I am, of course, well and truly hooked! I like the mix of regular puzzles and the bigger, linked-up, Metapuzzle. I am now well on the way with it all and am trying to crack No 1 before proceeding further. It is perhaps just as well that I am an art enthusiast as well - this has given a head start.
Here's hoping to catch up very soon.....

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#32 Post by eirian » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:37 pm

Wulfruna wrote:Some of you may even be aware that I am Scurra's Mum (O Woe, Woe.... to think that in his infancy I may have set him on the downward track to the warped thinking that has resulted in all of this!)
It is perhaps just as well that I am an art enthusiast as well - this has given a head start.
Here's hoping to catch up very soon.....
Welcome to the one responsible. (just glad you gave the warped thinking to him, and only kept the weird thinking for me. Grateful for small mercies!)
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

giraffe
Twigi

#33 Post by giraffe » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:54 pm

I'm finding issue 2 much harder than issue 1. (I think....perhaps the pain of issue 1 is dulled by the arrival of issue 2)

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#34 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:37 pm

I have to say that I have needed a lot of help with these. I am not convinced that I'll ever finish the last 3. What am I saying? I needed a lot of help with the last one too, and I've still come back for more!!

Wulfruna - since you are Scurra's Mum, could I please apologise for any offence caused every time I'm rude about him? I do forgive you for having put him on this Earth, even if his mission in life is to drive us all round the bend!! :mrgreen:

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#35 Post by MBH » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:30 am

No comments yet on the difficulty level for issue 2 (that's just the way life is in the start of a January), but I did want to say a big welcome to Wulfruna :)

It's a pleasure to 'meet' you on the forum. I already know you've got a lovely Daughter (that I met when we all got together one time)..... and you've got a Son as well :evil:

ONLY KIDDING :lol: I think he's a great character, and we've shared a lot of fun on thread, and occasionally by PM. My thinking process is thought to be a little 'odd', so it's good to know there are others with the same afflictions.

Take care, and I'll see you round the forum. MBH (stands for My Brain Hurts) ;)

giraffe
Twigi

#36 Post by giraffe » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:04 am

I shall refrain from commenting on people who pass the puzzling gene on to their sons and daughters, it might come back to bite me yet. ;)

chazzie

#37 Post by chazzie » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:51 pm

Good to see you Wulfruna - and looking forward to working through these puzzles with you - after all the support you gave me on the Runes :!:

Wulfruna

#38 Post by Wulfruna » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:45 pm

Bunnylump wrote: Wulfruna - since you are Scurra's Mum, could I please apologise for any offence caused every time I'm rude about him? I do forgive you for having put him on this Earth, even if his mission in life is to drive us all round the bend!! :mrgreen:
No offence.... I probably agree with any rude comments :roll: he gets enough from me already :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

Re: Difficulty Level and feedback *** SPOILER WARNING ***

#39 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:04 pm

Thought I'd ressurect this thread. I'm hoping for an open discussion with people's views.

1. I was just wondering what everyone was thinking about the new "hints" system? Is everyone finding this helpful?

2. Re hints: are people finding the levels of hints appropriate?

3. Also, I'd like to bring up (takes a deep breath and runs for cover from missiles flung by Scurra) the question of pm hinting. Let's be honest here, we all do it a bit. Don't we?? Should we have a convention on what level of hint we are after in pm's? OR are you all being goodie two shoes and only speaking to Gill?? :lol:

4. Another thought to fling into the ring, so to speak, what do people think about the possiblilty of having sort of "open forums" where people could share ideas on particularly difficult puzzles, say two or three weeks after publication? I know we sort of got this for Pisces, but just wondered what everyone thought. (Clearly this could be vetoed by "the management"!!). If people wanted to solve them by themselves,without the temptation of looking, maybe people who were interested in open solving could have a request for access to Scurra?? (Obviously, I could be talking complete carp here and this may either be impossible or may generate ridiculous amounts of work for Scurra, don't know). It's just that it's no fun IMHO when you are completely stuck and don't know what to do next.

ONE TWO THREE... LET THE BUN FIGHT COMMENCE!! :D

katsmom

Re: Difficulty Level and feedback *** SPOILER WARNING ***

#40 Post by katsmom » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:26 pm

Well, I've never been a goody two shoes.
I liked the two week hint, and am wondering where the three week one is? Not that the two week one helped much. Those were kind of like "well duh I knew that" :lol:

No, please not an open forum like....here's what to do for this puzzle. I like the criptic hints I've gotten from not obeying the rules. No one has ever said, this is exactly how to do a puzzle.

Now if Scurra could add some extra free time with the next issue, that would be freatly appreciated.