2010 Puzzlebrains Meet ideas

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

Re: 2010 Puzzlebrains Meet ideas

#281 Post by clvrlad » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:55 am

your insulted by
clvrlad wrote:must resist.....
and heres me being good...... :mrgreen:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#282 Post by gill216 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:15 am

I've just spent 2 hours looking for the train tickets I put in a safe place. :roll:
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

clvrlad

#283 Post by clvrlad » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:49 pm

oops ;-) my tickets are in my in box ;-)

gill216

#284 Post by gill216 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:29 pm

I found the tickets- where else but in my PB folder!

It gets worse- I have what I'd describe as "very sore ankle" after a 5 mile walk at the weekend.- which for the past 2 years at least I've put down to getting older, duff knees already from the dancing etc. and it hasn't stopped me doing anything- it just hurts every now and again.

Ever tried telling the doc you aren't going for an xray until after 9th August? Theory being I've walked on what may well turn out to be an old break for at least 2 years and if it does turn out to be a broken bone then another 3 weeks wont matter. He looked at me like I'd lost my marbles. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#285 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:39 pm

It's ok Gill. We'll just get a double sedan chair. That lot will just have to do some weight training before they meet us... :mrgreen:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#286 Post by LAT » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:11 pm

Well, it’s only about a week to go until the meet so I thought it was about time to give an update on the plans.

I would like to suggest we meet at the Museum of London at about 11.00 on Saturday 7th August in the hope of actually starting to look round about 11.30, once we are all there and have said our hellos. After looking round I am hoping we can eat our lunch there (as there is space available I believe) and then head out on a walk around part of the city. The walk will visit various small gardens but also take in few other interesting spots. There will be things to look out for plus possibly a game of some sort to play (Scurra is being very mysterious about this, and I gather it may actually not work out). Of course if the weather is gorgeous we may decide to set off on the walk a bit earlier and stop in one of the gardens for our lunch instead. After this, when we are all walked out, or totally lost and fed up, :roll: the plan is to head off to a nearby pub for rest and refreshment. Depending on the weather and how long we linger along the way, I imagine we would be in the pub by 5.30 in the evening. Possibly rather later if the weather and gardens are lovely.

If the weather is awful then we may decide to abandon the walk and possibly go to visit the Museum of Childhood instead but hopefully if there is any rain it will be light enough to allow us to wander the streets without too much discomfort.

Those coming from out of London for the day may want to look into the cost of getting a travelcard with their train ticket as often the extra cost is less than two tube/bus journeys which you will presumably need to get from your terminus to the museum and back again at the end of the day, even if we don’t do any further travel.

If anyone would like my mobile number for contact on the day please PM me as I’d rather not give it out on the forum!! And in any case could everyone please either PM me or post a message here to confirm you have read this and also make sure you have let Gill know any preferences for your lunch so we know for sure who is intending to join us on the day. And if anyone else is now thinking they would like to come along, now is the time to speak up.

Any questions please ask.

Looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone. :D

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#287 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:16 pm

Message read and understood. There is a very slight possiblity that I won't be able to come (difficult personal circumstances) but I will do my very best. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone! :D
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#288 Post by MBH » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:18 am

Read this - sounds like some good options in place.

Redfraggle
Glamorous Granny
Currently reading: 50 Shades of Grey

#289 Post by Redfraggle » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:36 pm

The museum of childhood? WOW!!! If they have any books about childhood songs and games - please write me down the titles! :P

Wulfruna

#290 Post by Wulfruna » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:32 pm

Sounds really good! One of the things I loved when we lived in London was just to wander around streets in the centre and discover those wonderful little squares and gardens - real little oases of peace and quiet in the midst of all the noise and bustle. And little surprises too in terms of spotting blue plaques commemorating famous people.....

One thought was that the Museum of Childhood might be a good option for Sunday morning, for those still around for that(?) It is open every day.

clvrlad

#291 Post by clvrlad » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:42 am

Wulfruna wrote:One of the things I loved when we lived in London was just to wander around streets in the centre and discover those wonderful little squares and gardens - real little oases of peace and quiet in the midst of all the noise and bustle. And little surprises too in terms of spotting blue plaques commemorating famous people.....
strangely enough wheni was wandering around london last time i was down thats nearly enough what i was doing...

mind i was wandering round a specific square mile :mrgreen:

paulman
The Ringmaster
Currently reading: Tim Moore - Do Not Pass Go

#292 Post by paulman » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks for the details -- I look forward to seeing you all there. Here's hoping for good weather! :D

Vladikavkaz
Currently reading: Alex's Adventures in Numberland

#293 Post by Vladikavkaz » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:56 pm

completely unrelated, but the Great British Beer Festival is running from the 3rd to the 7th August at Earls court...

Redfraggle
Glamorous Granny
Currently reading: 50 Shades of Grey

#294 Post by Redfraggle » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:15 pm

Vlad that sounds great! I could do with a few! :lol:

gill216

#295 Post by gill216 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:44 pm

Last chance on the picnic options- otherwise you get as given..

I've added cheese/cheese and tomato as an option on filling.

I'd really like to know preferences for wine. Red white or a soft drink. I need to know how many bottles of each I need to get (rephrase that - LAT to get) and dont want to get too many because they are heavy to haul around.

LAT
Nagging Nora

#296 Post by LAT » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:42 pm

Wulfruna wrote:One thought was that the Museum of Childhood might be a good option for Sunday morning, for those still around for that(?) It is open every day.
I think it will be easier to stick with the plan to visit the British Library and possibly Regents Park on Sunday. There are various logistical reasons why somewhere more central is suitable and, if the weather is foul on Saturday (but hopefully it won't be), we might end up at the Museum of Childhood on Saturday afternoon. I would like to suggest meeting at 11.30 on Sunday in the main entrance to the Library. This allows a bit longer for those who are travelling in from out of town to get there with Sunday services often being less frequent than the rest of the week. I believe we have at least one person joining us on Saturday who can't come along on Sunday. Any more takers?

That should read - joining us on the Sunday who can't come on the Saturday. :roll:
(It's been a long week)
Last edited by LAT on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

giraffe
Twigi

#297 Post by giraffe » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:39 pm

Have a good time all of you, I'll be thinking of you.

LAT
Nagging Nora

#298 Post by LAT » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:09 pm

Thanks! And we'll be thinking of you in sunny Portugal. Hope you're having a great holiday. I assume the flights all worked out OK after your earlier worries about checking in?

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#299 Post by Scurra » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:59 pm

Here's a heads-up for the Saturday morning.
The Museum of London is really, really easy to spot - pretty much however you arrive (Barbican tube is probably the best, or by bus) there is this massive brick wall that says "Museum of London" on it.
However, actually figuring out how to get inside is a puzzle in itself! The entrance is actually up top. If you look, you will see lots of bridges that cross the big roads heading into that middle section of the big roundabout.
You need to look around for one of the several entrances with steps (or, in one case, by the big glass One London Wall building) a lift.

I suspect that the best place to meet will be just inside the main entrance lobby. Although if it's really nice then outside would work.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#300 Post by MBH » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:17 pm

Scurra wrote:However, actually figuring out how to get inside is a puzzle in itself!
Hands up who is surprised by this fact? Hmmmm -- Nobody - well I never

:twisted: :lol: :twisted: