2013 Meet

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

Re: 2013 Meet

#121 Post by gill216 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:00 pm

I think I know where it is Laura. I'm going to get mum to confirm when I speak to her tomorrow. If it is the place I'm thinking of its only one metro stop away from the top end of the city centre. Mum must pass it on the bus. I'll ask her to give it her beady eye as she passes.

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#122 Post by LAT » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:22 pm

Of course buses are another option for getting around but they only really work if you can recognise where you need to get off. :lol: (And know they are going in the right direction in the first place :roll: ) Underground trains are much easier in that respect.

LAT
Nagging Nora

#123 Post by LAT » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:18 pm

I have thought of another brief detour I would like to make at some point. I'd love to take a peep at Cross House - only for a moment or two. I was looking through some old papers the other day and found the account of a big fire there about 100 years ago. My great grandfather was one of those killed although it was from injuries he got when jumping from a window so not the fire as such. There was quite a bit about him in the local paper at the time. I think it might be nice to be able to tell my sisters I have seen the building.

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#124 Post by clvrlad » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:11 pm

http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/New ... cross.html
this cross house?
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=+Fenkl ... 9,,0,-2.82
its not far from the train station pretty easy to get to
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

gill216

#125 Post by gill216 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:09 pm

For MBH. Thought of something else you might like to include in your walk if you are taking in the quayside. Those famous stairs. I wont give it away on here but its a bit of history that I think the others would like to know.

LAT
Nagging Nora

#126 Post by LAT » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:23 pm

yes, that's the one clvrlad. I'm sure I'll manage to do a wander past it at some point on the weekend.

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#127 Post by MBH » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:22 pm

That looks good LAT, and definitly calls for me to give a tour of Jesmond Dene. [Lovely to sneak away to for a quite walk for those that can't sit still ;) ]. It is off the main party strip, and I'll take a drive past and check it out. Any questions you want me to go in and ask face-to-face I can sort out in the coming weeks.

I'd never heard of Cross House, but a quick Google tells me I pass it almost every time I go into town :roll: A wander round the City Centre can follow on from the puzzle walk OR be an activity for a Sunday morning if legs get tired [thinking of Gill's evil suggestion :lol: ] Less than 100 yards from there is an outdoor element that is a puzzle begging to be written - but I've never had the chance to do the work to make one. It would be fun seeing you all scampering around (and letting passers-by wonder what you're all up to) :lol: :twisted:

gill216

#128 Post by gill216 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:01 pm

I've just picked up on Lats comment of saving poor Looby driving around. Whether or not I stay at mums I'm still happy to be the one to drive around. I can fit in 3 easily and 4 if we have a little one. I have 3 back seat belts. I'm probably best placed to do so because even if the traffic system has changed I will still have the best idea of where we need to be. ! Anyone got any objections to my bringing a friend along? She's only little but has problems at the mo and might appreciate a weekend away. She's not a puzzler but is good company. I'd like to give her the option to join us.

LAT
Nagging Nora

#129 Post by LAT » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:26 pm

Fine by me Gill.
By little do you mean size or age? Or both?

I imagine that all three of us will be keen to walk rather than get back in a car if possible after the drive up, so if either of you who know Newcastle can suggest a better area to look at hotels nearer to where we will want to be, then please do. I am open to comments!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#130 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:53 pm

Sounds great, MBH, and thank you Gill for the offer if we need transporting. :D I'm very happy for you to bring a pal along. Does the poor thing know what she's letting herself in for?? :lol: My friend Janet was threatening to come when she heard where we were going (she used to live in Newcastle) but I think she's otherwise engaged now.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

SparkOut
International Man of Mystery

#131 Post by SparkOut » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:12 pm

Well apparently my job tomorrow involves Ashford, Kent (TN23) 09:30 - 12:00 then Ascot, Berks. (SL5) 12:30 - 16:30. So when I find out who invented the teleporter, I'll let you know and you won't have to worry about driving anywhere.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#132 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:28 pm

That'll be interesting, Sparkout. Well, I vote we do Newcastle that weekend followed by the Bahamas Sunday night. What do you reckon?

MBH
King of the Swingers

#133 Post by MBH » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:43 pm

A quick check that I've got things straight so far.

Arrival at various times Friday 25th October. Get together for welcomes and chat in the afternoon-->evening.

Saturday 26th for puzzle walk, exploring, fun, and trying NOT to walk 3 inches off everyone's legs (which would be too easy to do).

Sunday morning get together before people start drifting off. If everyone is in cars and planning to leave at the same time then a stop at the Angel makes sense ;) [clvrlad can ride with me]

Those aiming to be there:

Giraffe & Lally [with the guys elsewhere and Kingsley in Durham]
Bunnylump
Clvrlad
LAT
Looby
Gill [possibly plus one - no problems either way]

Am I missing anything (or worse anyONE) important?

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#134 Post by Bunnylump » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:02 pm

That sounds good to me. Do you know anywhere we could get something to eat on The Friday evening? NOT that I am worrying where my next meal might come from, you understand... :lol: It would be nice if as many as possible of us could go to the same place if possible, do you think?...(MBH this is my shout for you to say thank you!!) ;) I just thought rather than us all wandering around aimlessly looking for something it might be worth having some possibilities as suggestions?

MBH
King of the Swingers

#135 Post by MBH » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:32 pm

Bunnylump wrote:Do you know anywhere we could get something to eat on The Friday evening?
More than do-able - I'll give it some thought and come back with a few ideas in a week or so.

giraffe
Twigi

#136 Post by giraffe » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:28 pm

How much walking are we planning next weekend?

I'm slightly worried about Lally's ankle. She had an accident at gym last Saturday and it's still very swollen, sore and black. There is another week for it to recover, but I don't know if she will be up to hiking!

MBH
King of the Swingers

#137 Post by MBH » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:44 am

All pavement walking. The puzzle walk is less than 2 miles on the flat, after that it is as much exploring as people want to do. Heading up into the town centre adds more, but that can be fiddled with judicious use of my car or the electric Quayside busses.

It had gone quiet - I hoped people were still looking forward to visiting. Sorry I've not written much, but other things on my mind :roll:

Back to talk about food later - I was investigating yesterday.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#138 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:24 am

I'm just waiting for my fellow passenger to get back from her jaunt then we'll try to get something a bit more definite about when we think we might be materialising. Then we need to think about where / when to meet up. And yes, definitely looking forward to it, work has been hellish lately so it'll be a lovely change. :D

MBH
King of the Swingers

#139 Post by MBH » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:32 pm

There are masses of places to eat, but finally I managed to visit THIS place yesterday:

http://www.yourkingdom.co.uk/about/

Not a cheap meal, but one heck of a variety of food - and as a buffet I'm sure there's ways to get value for money ;) [Gluttons line up behind me - LOL]

I took a drive past the hotel you're looking at and got the directions embedded in my brain. VERY handy for wandering down into Jesmond Dene :)

giraffe
Twigi

#140 Post by giraffe » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:43 pm

Just for reference what is the name of the hotel the others are booked into?