2010 Puzzlebrains Meet ideas

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

Re: 2010 Puzzlebrains Meet ideas

#241 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:48 pm

Only because LAT suggested it (which is a bit like laying down a challenge to me!!) However, it would probably just be really annoying to carry around and would get sat on and things. :lol: Don't worry, I'm very much a cutoffs / jeans and Birkenstocks merchant. :lol:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#242 Post by LAT » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:08 am

Wulfruna wrote:
Bunnylump wrote:Anyway, it looks like I've got to bring a hat now.
Just as long as none of the rest of us are expected to wear one as well.... :shock: Scurra would die of shock if he saw me in a hat....
That's got to be worth a try surely? :twisted:

...sorry, I don't mean trying to kill Scurra, just seeing how he did actually react!

edit - just had to look up what Birkenstocks are! :roll:

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#243 Post by gill216 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:57 am

just had to look up what Birkenstocks are!
Me too!
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#244 Post by MBH » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:15 pm

gill216 wrote:
just had to look up what Birkenstocks are!
Me too!
I couldn't raise the interest to bother looking :lol:

giraffe
Twigi

#245 Post by giraffe » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:50 pm

Perhaps someone could enlighten the rest of us, to save us all looking it up. :mrgreen:

edit: Posh flip flops by the look of it!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#246 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:43 pm

Giraffe - they are the MOST comfortable shoes in the whole world. You MUST try them!! They are good for those of us with wide feet, have moulded arch supports and are BLISSFULLY comfortable. Oh, and last forever. Do you think I could get a job as a Birkenstock salesperson?? :lol:

giraffe
Twigi

#247 Post by giraffe » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:25 pm

Do you not get blisters from the bit between your toes?

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#248 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:57 pm

No, surprisingly.

LAT
Nagging Nora

#249 Post by LAT » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:13 pm

I can't wear flip flops either (my stupid shaped feet!) :(

LAT
Nagging Nora

#250 Post by LAT » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:44 pm

I have sent a PM to everyone who has said they are coming to the London meet asking for a vote on a couple of alternatives for what we do.

Please all let me know which you would prefer, even if it is of the "I really don't mind but if pushed I would probably rather....." type of answer.

And if there is anyone out there who is contemplating adding their name to the list please let me know so I can also ask you what you think of the plans. It would be good to meet some more new faces (or even see some old familiar ones again)

Looby

#251 Post by Looby » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:54 pm

Bunnylump wrote: Don't worry, I'm very much a cutoffs / jeans and Birkenstocks merchant. :lol:
Sounds like she's intending coming topless!! :shock:

[I wear flip flops all the time but find Birkenstocks really uncomfortable - they just don't fit my square feet. The moulded bit for the toes is just the wrong shape]

In answers to LAT's pm - I really don't mind, but my preferences are:
Museum of London on Saturday
Kew Gardens on Sunday (with Greenwich 2nd choice and Library/Regent's Park 3rd.)

I am happy to fit in with whatever others want to do, however, before you plan anything too far east please bear in mind that it will take us about an hour and a half to get to Bank on a Sunday so don't suggest meeting too early.
There's no point in having a last minute if you don't use it!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#252 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:15 pm

Sounds like she's intending coming topless!!
No, I wouldn't inflict that dubious pleasure on you all. What are you trying to do? Scare everyone off?? :lol: :lol:

Just to be really annoying I am happy to whatever, whenever. All I would say is that although I'm sure I'd enjoy a museum for a little bit, I have a really low boredom threshold, and have ants in my pants. I'm not good at staying in one place for a long time (unless I'm in a sozzled heap in a corner and am unable to move, of course). That's why I think the idea of museum / lunch / walk / game/quiz thing / eat / maybe go somewhere else appeals to me. I'm quite a liability if I get trapped in one place for any length of time, liable to start being silly. Sorry. :lol:

If I was completely pushed for a preference, I'd probably say museum of childhood for the Saturday, but don't mind going with whatever anyone else wants.

On Sunday, I really liked the idea of Kew (haven't been there for about 15 years) but I will concede that it's not central. Maybe we should consider this for a future visit? I know some others were interested in going there too.

Greenwich also appeals, but has the same problem of distance. I do like the idea of the map exhibition - I LOVE maps - my only reservation is that being in a library we'd have to be quiet. And I don't do quiet. Unless I'm asleep. :lol:

Could I just add, please, that I think it might be better, rather than posting on here, to reply by pm to LAT so that people won't be swayed by other people's preferences. ;) As you can see, both Looby and I have different thoughts on the matter, so please do reply to LAT by pm and we'll go with the most popular vote. Ta. :D

Biscuit
Currently reading: The book of secrets

#253 Post by Biscuit » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:13 pm

whilst not being swayed i do agree with bunnylump - i do like to move around a lot, and get ants in my pants too.

I have just learnt that my daughter is doing her level 2 coaching assessment on the sunday so hope this might free me up to come into london - but work will dictate.

Paula

Wulfruna

#254 Post by Wulfruna » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:46 am

Bunnylump wrote: I do like the idea of the map exhibition - I LOVE maps - my only reservation is that being in a library we'd have to be quiet. And I don't do quiet. Unless I'm asleep. :lol:
It's ok - the British Library exhibition space is just like any other museum and is nothing to do with the library proper (which you have to be a member to go into). So there are no rules about silence! :P It's well worth dropping into any time you are in the King's Cross/ St Pancras area, as the permanent exhibition of manuscripts is always interesting in any case, and there are often fascinating small exhibitions about books in the entrance lobby area. They had a wonderful one recently about children's books, with lots of interactive stuff to play around with.

LAT
Nagging Nora

#255 Post by LAT » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:34 pm

Well, of those who replied and expressed a preference for a museum, the Museum of Childhood seemed to be the favourite museum but they were slightly outvoted by those who thought that it made more sense to start at the Museum of London because it was more convenient. So I am suggesting that we meet at The Museum of London, go round there for an hour or maybe two, have lunch there and then set off on the walk.

On the Sunday, it is looking complicated to visit Kew; some people are a bit out of town and wouldn't be able to get there particularly early, while some have trains to catch or other plans for early afternoon so that we might only have a couple of hours together which hardly justifies the entrance cost. A suggestion has been made that we go there another time for a whole day when we have fewer time constraints. Therefore I am suggesting that we stick to plans for something more central. The British Library maps exhibition plus time in Regents Park for those who can stay on seem the best option, bearing in mind who is around for that day.

And talking of who is around, I spent yesterday with jillmn who is a fellow puzzler even if she doesn't natter on the forum like the rest of us and hopefully talked her into joining us on the Saturday. And Vladikavkaz has said he is around on the Sunday and hopes come along then. So, is there anyone else out there who might like to join us for one or both of the days?

Also, if anyone has any comments or other suggestions for what we should do to add to the above, please let me know, preferably sooner rather than later, so that I can incorporate them into the final plans. Thanks!

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#256 Post by MBH » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:51 pm

Nice to hear about jillmn - I often wonder about the names that show up and get 'greeted' then we never hear from again. Do we scare them off??? :shock:

Looking forward to the weekend and seeing you all :)

Laura

#257 Post by Laura » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:01 pm

Well, two of them (actually, 3 usernames, as my dad has two cos he couldn't remember the password for the first one :roll: ), are related to me, and do still do the puzzles, just don't come on the forums. I suspect there are plenty more like that out there.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#258 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:39 pm

Do we scare them off???
I do sometimes wonder if we come across a bit "cliquey" (not meaning to, just that we've known each other such a long time). Some people do find joining in with an unknown group's banter a difficult thing to do. In fact, I do in REAL LIFE. :lol: Yes, it will be nice to meet Jillmn (well, and Biscuit, Chazzie, Wulfruna, Clvrlad and Vladikazkav too - but I feel like I know them all a little bit in advance*... :lol: ).

*Whether that feeling will be reciprocated is another matter altogether... :lol:

Wulfruna

#259 Post by Wulfruna » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:37 pm

As it happens, I had to be in London for an event on Monday afternoon this week which was right next door to the Museum of London, so arranged to meet up with Scurra and we nipped into there to have a look. They have recently opened a new section which is brilliant! So we definitely recommend it. There is also a good cafe there which we could use for lunch - or we could go over to the Barbican for some other options. This would seem to be much the best option fit in with the proposal for the afternoon.
I was also keen on the idea of the British Library map exhibition on Sunday, but on the other hand, if there really is a lot of support for the idea of going to the Museum of Childhood (which sounds fascinating!), then maybe that could be an alternative suggestion for Sunday? It seems to be open every day. There is still time to decide on that, I guess?

LAT
Nagging Nora

#260 Post by LAT » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:24 pm

One of the advantages of the Museum of London (I checked this out for both of the museums I suggested) is that as well as a cafe they also have somewhere where those who prefer to bring their own food can eat it so hopefully that covers something to suit everyone. The walk I'm planning does visit the Barbican later on. Let's just hope we all don't get as lost there as we did on a certain puzzle. :lol: