2011 Meet

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

Re: 2011 Meet

#321 Post by LAT » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:47 pm

We're not but we will be there tomorrow! :D

Wulfruna

#322 Post by Wulfruna » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:23 pm

'Good moaning' to you all - assuming you will not read this till Sunday morning.....and that I need to say this only once..... ;)
Hope you all had a great time and that the show went well :D
Sorry to miss it - I've actually been away all last week on a conference (up in the Lake District - which was at its gorgeous autumn best, so I'm not complaining...), so it was sadly a non-starter.....
Here's hoping that Dramaticat has not been totally traumatised by the awesome experience of a whole group of Puzzlebrains in person all at once :shock: :shock: .... and maybe is even still prepared to recommend conversations on train journeys :o :lol:

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#323 Post by tricia » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:05 pm

Hope you had a great time

Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#324 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:31 pm

...I just got home.

We had a really great time - I haven't laughed so much for many years. :lol: I also met some people I'd never met before as well as catching up with some of the "regular meetees". Dramaticat and Mr. Dramaticat - it was lovely to meet you, and thank you so much for being so wonderfully welcoming and helpful to us all. I also met a mysterious man who had temporarily mislaid his tattered cloak of anonymity. How wonderful to meet you too (you know who you are!!) I was so pleased to meet you at last, and I sincerely hope that this weekend of chaos and farce hasn't put you off coming again in the future. :lol:

On Friday, I went and stayed with LAT and Mr LAT - and had dinner there with Looby too. LAT - the meal was completely delicious, and thank you so much for your hospitality. Don't forget to post the recipe for that yummy dinner please, when you get a chance? I was sorely tempted to move in (much to Mr LAT's consternation) - the bed was really comfortable and the views were lovely. And of course, the company was excellent. :D

The naughty ragdoll then kindly drove us to Kent (thank you!!) and after a brief guided tour of Kent to get there (thank you Mrs SATNAV) we reached Eynsford, where we collected my lovely brother :D and met Dramaticat. Mystery man located us at the pub after having narrowly missed us at the station. After lunch, Dramaticat and Mr Dramaticat went off to prepare to be dramatic :lol: , while the rest of us had a stroll round the pretty village, by the river, past the impressive viaduct and nearly, but not quite, to the Roman villa. We then walked back to the village and enjoyed a really fun quiz (which had been prepared by the mystery man) in the sunshine in a pub garden.

After a hilarious / embarrassing farce like situation at our hotel (when the hotel receptionist was totally convinced that Mystery man was expecting to be having breakfast with me - don't ask :lol: - we went and had a meal at the Malt Shovel pub (kindly recommended by Dramaticat) and then went to see the play.

The play was absolutely BRILLIANT. It was really professionally done, and REALLY funny. Dramaticat had us in stitches with her portrayal of Michelle ("leesten veeery carefoolly, I will say zees only vunce") whilst edging round the cafe suspiciously checking underneath the tables and curtains for Gestapo) plus numerous (and hysterically funny) costume changes for "disguise". Mr. Dramaticat was a wonderful, violin-playing Herr Flick who fitted into his role unbelievably well and with great comedy effect. I cannot praise the cast and production team highly enough - I really enjoyed my evening. :D I'd really like to come again. :D

After the show, and a drink with the stars of the show, MBH, mystery man, LAT, Looby and I returned to the hotel for the now customary midnight feast in LAT and Looby's room. Looby and LAT had brought about half of Sainsbury's with them - so we continued the party with much idiotic behaviour (nothing to do with me, of course), drinking, eating and intermittent puzzling until about 3 30 am. :shock: :lol:

After about 3 hours sleep, LAT, Looby MBH and I breakfasted and then went to Knole House and deer park. It was a lovely, warm, sunny day, and we had a walk round the park, and watched the rutting deer put on a tremendous display for us. We then had a look round the house itself (very handily for free, thanks to the NT card holders amongst us!!).

All in all, a really great weekend. Thank you all for making it such fun. :D
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

giraffe
Twigi

#325 Post by giraffe » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:39 pm

Sounds wonderful, even more jealous now!

You really should be careful how you word things:
I was sorely tempted to move in (much to Mr LAT's consternation) - the bed was really comfortable
:shock: :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#326 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:41 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: That REALLY would have freaked him out!! Not quite as much as I managed to freak out a certain Mystery man, however... :lol:

chazzie

#327 Post by chazzie » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Sounds like a brilliant weekend...... So who is this mystery man??? - or have I exposed the fact that my puzzle solving is carp??!!!

giraffe
Twigi

#328 Post by giraffe » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:48 pm

I think it is he who is without avatar or signature?

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#329 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:37 pm

Well, I don't know if he wants to admit to who he is... :lol: Suffice to say, he was very welcome, and lots of fun. :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#330 Post by LAT » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:54 pm

Indeed he was, it was lovely to meet him :D
All in all the weekend was great. And you're very welcome here any time bunnylump. We enjoyed your company. :D
Looby did a sterling job making sure we got everywhere safely.
The play was great, brilliantly acted and staged and really funny. Such a shame more of you weren't there to enjoy it with us.

Thanks to all my fellow PBers who were there who helped to make it such fun. :D :D :D

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#331 Post by MBH » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:03 pm

I'll add my thanks for a great weekend as well :) I'm now in an internet cafe near Padington station (I think I'm investigating the local train connections after arriving at Kings Cross then going to and from Kent from Victoria). :D

Once more a pleasure to meet new and established (NOT saying 'old') faces and to spend some time with my favourite twin ;) The rag doll does NOT get any better - she is seriously naughty and plays the innocent. [LAT is not much better] The less said about knockwurst the better :lol: :twisted:

Thanks to Looby for the transport - a great driver along the country roads even when a combination of SATNAV machines decided they didn't agree with each other. One path felt for all the world like going down a rabbit-hole - but that was obvioulsy fine for Bunnylump.

I was in trouble for throwing glasses and plates around this time :( Excitable bunch!!! When I'm working behind the bar I'm not called "The Juggler" for nothing (despite the fact I've never learned to juggle properly). :roll:

As always when I'm in London I've walked for miles - but that is OK by me. The three nights in three different hotels have been 'interesting', and I've felt a bit like Brian carrying my worldly good around with me on my back.

There has been further pressure for me to do something 'Up North' by way of a meet in the future - and to tell the truth I'd love to - but my life isn't in a position to even think of it at the moment. Let's see what next year brings

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#332 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:10 pm

Don't feel pressured, ever, MBH. I don't care where it is, as long as we can get together again soon. I've loved your company (as ever) this weekend and will be missing you until next time. (I know, I know, soppy sister!) ;)

It's so much easier for me to meet up with people a little more local to me from the forum, but where there is a will there is a way. So even if you do live the other end of the country, we'll get something sorted somehow. That is, if the3 30am shinannigins didn't put you off permanently... :lol: :lol:

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#333 Post by MBH » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:12 pm

LOL - I think I'm the only one of us that still feels fine ;)

Want a sweetie? :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#334 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:15 pm

Evil tempter...(is that the male version of a temptress?? :lol: )

Sorry, for the mystified amongst you, I get silly (well, sillier) after large quantities of sugar. But I can assure you that I was NOT the only one... :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#335 Post by LAT » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:16 pm

MBH wrote:LOL - I think I'm the only one of us that still feels fine ;)
I've felt fine today - must be tougher than you think. :lol:

or have I missed something? :? :oops:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#336 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:22 pm

:lol: :lol: Well, I obviously just can't hack it. I'm totally wiped out!!

SparkOut
International Man of Mystery

#337 Post by SparkOut » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:49 pm

I've been fixing up replacement outside security lights today. And feeling fine with it.
But it certainly was rather different from yesterday, which was tremendous fun.
I had a really great time, and it was fantastic to meet some fellow PBers at long last. Yes... it was I LeClerc... um no... just me, I actually don't mind admitting it at all. Honestly, I've not been avoiding you all on purpose!

Dramaticat - I think the Riverside Players put on the best performance I have ever seen that was not a professional production, and better than many professional productions I've seen too.

How was breakfast Bunny? Shame I missed that :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#338 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:08 pm

:lol: Not bad, even if you did stand me up. :lol: Mind you, I think the hotel staff remain mystified!

Looby

#339 Post by Looby » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:22 am

MBH wrote:LOL - I think I'm the only one of us that still feels fine ;)
I was fine too! Having a bad back is nothing to do with late nights or alcohol consumed.

...and we had to go back to the hotel in the afternoon as I managed to forget that I had the hotel key in my pocket. (it was the only time LAT had allowed me to carry it and now I understand why :roll: )
There's no point in having a last minute if you don't use it!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#340 Post by Bunnylump » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:39 am

:lol:

Well, I didn't even make it to Poole today (which is where I should have been). OH was trying to make me decide things at 5am and I couldn't do it, so stayed here instead... :oops: Hey ho.