2010 Puzzlebrains Meet ideas

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
giraffe
Twigi

Re: 2010 Puzzlebrains Meet ideas

#41 Post by giraffe » Fri May 07, 2010 2:35 am

If I come to coffee can I bring my own axe? :mrgreen:

edit: Not that I'm suggesting your cake is solid! :lol:

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#42 Post by clvrlad » Fri May 07, 2010 6:11 am

mad axe murderer ? you murder mad axes?
is that a publicly funded position?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#43 Post by MBH » Fri May 07, 2010 11:03 am

Bunnylump wrote:.... but there's no way I'm going to start booking places which I could end up having to pay for if people can't make it!! ;)
Everybody has the duty to make their own sleeping arrangements, so this should never happen to anyone. It is above and beyon the call of duty for anyone putting an event together... Ideas, suggestions, phone-number and recommendations are the order of the day ;)

We've had some great larger-scale 'meets' which I'm very pleased to have been able to get to (in some capacity), but it may be that this years 'main event' needs to be considered in with economic climates, and the fact the world is just moving too damned fast :(

We will get together at different times, and if the odd day can be grabbed by a small section of us and enjoyed, then they can share it with the rest of us here in the forum :)

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#44 Post by gill216 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:21 am

I'm going to make a very tentative suggestion. SUMS puzzle hunt is held in August, usually the latter end but still in school holiday time.

It would be nice if we could work together from the same room. We could have a "rolling" meet over the course of the week with maybe a grand finale on the Friday night. That way there would be a selection of days when people could join or leave.

Does that appeal to anyone?
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#45 Post by Bunnylump » Fri May 07, 2010 12:06 pm

Well I think it's an idea, but I can't do it. :lol: (I'll be sipping ouzo by the pool, overlooking the sea from the hillside amongst olive groves and listening to the sound of crickets and scops owls...) :D I do love you all but I'm sorry, you can't match that... :lol:

(I don't get back until the last Friday in August (27th), and then I'm back to work the following Friday (3rd Sept)

Oh, and Giraffe, let me know if you're around in the summer, and if you're passing, give me a shout! :D (I'll try to make the cake knife friendly so you don't have to use your axe... :lol: )
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

giraffe
Twigi

#46 Post by giraffe » Fri May 07, 2010 12:22 pm

I can make sure I'm passing if you are offering to lend me your cake knife. :mrgreen:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#47 Post by Bunnylump » Fri May 07, 2010 12:23 pm

I think I could manage that! :D Actually, I think it's Looby that has the axe isn't it?

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#48 Post by Bunnylump » Fri May 07, 2010 1:07 pm

I suppose we could still meet up in London for the day, Clvrlad (and anyone else who's interested) - I know that both LAT and Scurra know lots of good places to go and visit. Then folk wouldn't have to pay for overnight stays unless they wanted to. And if a few people either were staying over (or lived near enough for this to be feasible) I suppose I could stretch to cake and coffee for the afternoon the next day for a few people (NOT if there are loads of you - don't have room!) if we weren't all sick of each other by then. That way anyone who couldn't get to London could at least come and say hello to me if they wanted!! :lol: I would hasten to add that I don't want to get involved in organising activities or catering (I can cope with making a cake and some coffee!!) and don't have room for anyone to stay over (I'll have a full compliment of children home by then and can barely accommodate them!!). Best I could offer for activities would be a bit of a walk if it's not raining.

I live within a 15 minute walk from a station which is half an hour from Euston.

If this were to happen I'm thinking it would have to be weekdays either between27th-30th July or weekdays 3rd- 6th August (although I know Giraffe's away for hols on 7th so will probably need to pack...)

giraffe
Twigi

#49 Post by giraffe » Fri May 07, 2010 1:32 pm

Giraffe's away from 30th July (ish not sure if that's a Saturday, in fact not completely sure if we go on Saturday :roll: ) for 2 weeks.

I'll try to join in with whatever goes on.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#50 Post by Bunnylump » Fri May 07, 2010 2:10 pm

OK here's another thought. This one does rely on the weather though, which, obviously could be a bit scary and unpredictable...

How about meeting up for an en masse picnic / walk? Again, it looks like it would have to be a weekday (which is a pain for those who end up having to take a day off work). As long as people told me what sandwiches etc they wanted (and obviously would chip in to the cost) I could make up a giant picnic. As long as the venue was near(ish) to me I could bring that in the car boot - and I'm sure I could either enlist others who have driven or get my husband and daughter to ferry people to the picnic from the train station. We've got a few nice places locally we could go to (I'm thinking either the Ashridge Estate http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-ashridge- and the other advantage of this is that if the weather turned despicable we could always walk down to Aldbury http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldbury and go to the pub! OR Wendover woods http://www.chilternsaonb.org/site_details.asp?siteID=18 OR even Whippendell woods - and then go to Cassiobury Park for a free ride on the miniature train (my daughter is an employee, so I'm sure we could wangle it - it's really designed for kids but it's still quite funny for adults). :lol: (This will make you run away screaming!!)http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... s%3Disch:1 (Last suggestion is actually a possiblity but I know that most people wouldn't want to do that!) :lol:

clvrlad

#51 Post by clvrlad » Fri May 07, 2010 2:42 pm

well lets think i wanted to swop jobs with your daughter when i heard about it.....

im game :-d

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#52 Post by Bunnylump » Fri May 07, 2010 2:46 pm

So, what I need to know is who can make which dates from the list above. And also who thinks London one day meet up for coffee next day is a better plan? Or does anyone else have any other ideas? Gill's Sums one would be good, and as I said I can't do that. I obviously wouldn't expect people to do two things!! If people are up for the Sums idea don't worry about me and my wild ramblings - but the offer for coffee is still open to anyone who's passing. :D

giraffe
Twigi

#53 Post by giraffe » Fri May 07, 2010 2:53 pm

SUMS says it's early August, but doesn't specify dates yet.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#54 Post by Bunnylump » Fri May 07, 2010 3:07 pm

Ah, so that might work then. As long as it was before the 7th when you go away. Problem then is the venue! I definitely wouldn't want to commit to doing that here! (I've only got one room downstairs and a tiny kitchen, and I've got 2 hulking great children and other halves in residence!!) I have a big garden but you can't do puzzle hunts on computers in that!! :lol:

giraffe
Twigi

#55 Post by giraffe » Fri May 07, 2010 5:19 pm

See my above post!

I go away a week before the 7th, so looks like I will be a remote SUM doer if at all. OH sometimes takes his laptop with him, so I might be able to look in, but not eat cake with you.

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#56 Post by LAT » Fri May 07, 2010 7:08 pm

If I come may I have tea please? I'm not so keen on coffee. :(

clvrlad

#57 Post by clvrlad » Fri May 07, 2010 7:28 pm

LAT wrote:If I come may I have tea please? I'm not so keen on coffee. :(
me too :-p

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#58 Post by Bunnylump » Sat May 08, 2010 1:19 pm

I take it the picnic all sounds too complicated / weather dependent?

A couple of people have pm'd me to say they'd go with the visit to London for the day idea. I realise this is probably not feasible for those of you who are e.g. in Scotland or Northern Ireland, which is a pity (unless you fancy staying over in a hotel the night I suppose?)

If it's just a one off day out I can probably do almost any Friday if that helps with the logistics of it all.

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#59 Post by gill216 » Sat May 08, 2010 2:06 pm

Bunny- go ahead with that picnic/day out in London. I will be there- so will others- if it rains I'm sure we can find shelter. Just put a date on it so I can pre book a cheap return trainfare :mrgreen:

I'm also offering open house SUMS week - last year it ran from MON 31st August, dates unknown as yet. I have a double and single on offer and floors (again!!! :lol: ) if necessary.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#60 Post by LAT » Sat May 08, 2010 3:11 pm

If SUMS is at the same time again I will unfortunately be working all week as it will be month end time for me. I will however check in each evening to marvel at the progress you have all made.

But a day out in London should be fine, dates permitting.