Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#5381 Post by LAT » Mon May 23, 2011 10:13 pm

I think they're in Kent. So quite a long way from you!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#5382 Post by Bunnylump » Mon May 23, 2011 10:20 pm

I just looked that up as well. Maybe SparkOut might be nearer than most?
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#5383 Post by MBH » Mon May 23, 2011 10:29 pm

I'm giving a wild guess at.... hang on.... it's coming clearer...
The Riverside Players are based in the village of Eynsford in Kent, South East England.
:lol: :lol:

I need that laugh because I've had a one of those days you just wish you'd not got out of bed :(

Today I've mostly bin....figthing the elements.

Started off with the computer bus unable to start with a flat battery. The annoying part of that was that I DID get the bus out on Friday but there are so many background systems (immobilizer, tracker, etc) that the charge drops if it's not used most days.

Then I drove down to a local library to check a few things and look at my email. On my way out of the library the automated doors part opened, hesitated, and when I moved forward to sort it out it jumped open bashing me in the hinge of my glasses. It was hard enough (and precise enough) to totally deform the frame so my glasses only hung off one ear :( :(

Since I had been delayed so long by the flat battery, my plan to clean the outside of the bus (Yeah - Great) was not so practical so I drove to the area I needed to be for the afternoon which also has a place for lunch.

Getting out of the cab of the bus, a gust of wind caught the door and ripped it out of my hand. The wing mirror crashed into the long triangular (quarterlight?) window between the door and the front of the bus SHATTERING IT :o :cry:

Oh - did I mention at the start of the day (with the flat battery) that I found my works phone was out of charge as well?? :roll:

So phonecalls to the service department (not their type of work) then the Council Transport Department ("come in and fill in an accident form") - which to be fair did then lead to them tracking down the glass repair firm and pointing them to where I usually park the bus.

This took me back to the depot to wait for help. Eventually a guy turned up and was VERY professional. He sourced a replacement window from the body-builders to be delivered to him in a few days and then cut, shaped, and fixed a temporary plastic windown in place to make the bus roadworthy.

This took me to 4:30pm so I called it a day and headed into Newcastle to the opticians who sold me my glasses so that they could bend them back into the right sort of shape :(

I wonder what tomorrow will bring????

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5384 Post by Bunnylump » Mon May 23, 2011 11:06 pm

Surely lots of fun and laughter? You couldn't possibly have more than ONE day like that on the trot!! :lol: Although if you were superstitious, then you could be forgiven for being quite concerned about anything else you possess which is made of glass (glasses, bus window that's two) and anything with a battery... :? So you'd better watch out for your pacemaker and your glass eye... :lol: :mrgreen:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5385 Post by Bunnylump » Tue May 24, 2011 5:39 pm

...Embarrassing myself.

The day had been a nightmare because a load of invigilators were sick and so we had to do an emergency draft of parent volunteers, meanwhile, the deputy head asked about 15 teachers to turn up just in case, so it was complete pandemonium.... :roll:

I'd just finished scribing for a pupil for a totally pointless PE GCSE exam (as someone said to me, Sport Science is usually "Are you good at running and throwing things? YES. Do you know anything about science. NO. OK here's 50%." :roll: )

ANYWAY. I needed to get the key to lock up the room I had been using. So I went in to the teaching room next door. The teacher ( a nice but large chap who has a great sense of humour) had a 6th form class in there. I didn't want to disturb his lesson, so tried to sneak to his desk to borrow his key. However, he stopped teaching and asked me:

"Did you want me, or did you just want the key?"

"No", I replied without thinking, "I didn't want you. You wouldn't fit in the hole."

He snorted, and started to laugh, as did the whole sixth form class. :oops: So I had to mumble "OK let's back track there a minute. I meant you wouldn't fit in my KEY HOLE."

:oops: :oops:

I don't suppose I'll live that one down in a hurry... :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#5386 Post by LAT » Tue May 24, 2011 6:00 pm

Thank you, I needed a good laugh! :lol:

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#5387 Post by gill216 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:16 pm

I embarrassed myself too.

Colin commented that the black grapes WE (note the we) bought were the best he'd ever tasted. He asked if I'd noted where they came from. Gill replies "Morrisons- you were with me!" and instantly realised he meant country of origin. :oops:

Thats another drinkinge in my kitchen Maisie. :lol: :lol:
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5388 Post by Bunnylump » Tue May 24, 2011 6:25 pm

:lol:
I'm a bit concerned. Simon (the teacher) said he's going to post that one on the staff noticeboard... :lol: :lol:

giraffe
Twigi

#5389 Post by giraffe » Tue May 24, 2011 8:55 pm

Horn teacher was telling us about a horn player called Dennis Brain. (Gave us the gory details of his untimely death in a road accident in the 50's!) I wondered if he any relation to the Puzzling Brains?

MBH
King of the Swingers

#5390 Post by MBH » Tue May 24, 2011 9:36 pm

Bunnylump wrote:( a nice but large chap who has a great sense of humour)
Just as well :lol:

I think that one will be on the long-term record books for you school ;) Poor You!

Thankfully I haven't had the horror day I had yesterday. Good teaching of appreciative adults in the library. :mrgreen:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#5391 Post by LAT » Tue May 24, 2011 9:50 pm

I waved au revoir to my car today as it went of to the bodywork garage following a minor accident I had last week. The courtesy car I've been given is immaculate which is a bit of a worry as I live in a narrow unmade lane and I'm petrified I'll get it scratched while I'm using it. :(

Glad today was better for you MBH. :D

Redfraggle
Glamorous Granny
Currently reading: 50 Shades of Grey

#5392 Post by Redfraggle » Wed May 25, 2011 9:35 pm

Ive had the most brilliant day because there were VIPs in school promoting the Dancing Shoes musical which is taking place in the Grand Opera House in August. I taught a child how to produce powerpoint presentations and she showed them her work. They were so impressed that I got 2 tickets for the show, she got 2 tickets and they are going to show her work on a big screen to the audience and feed it into the information screens on a loop for 3 weeks before the show! Im so proud of her!!! :D

MBH
King of the Swingers

#5393 Post by MBH » Wed May 25, 2011 10:03 pm

That's brilliant :D Nothing better than a GOOD Powerpoint presentation - but it's nice for others to reward it.

Well done :)

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5394 Post by Bunnylump » Wed May 25, 2011 10:13 pm

Wow, that's quite something, Fraggle! Good job! :D

Wulfruna

#5395 Post by Wulfruna » Wed May 25, 2011 10:37 pm

giraffe wrote:..... horn player called Dennis Brain......... I wondered if he any relation to the Puzzling Brains?
No relation - although it is not a common name and usually indicates a West Country connection (Bristol/Gloucestershire) - not to mention Brain's Beers in South Wales! Scurra's grandfather was originally from Bristol.
Dennis Brain (from London, however) was a brilliant horn player and is most famous for popularising Mozart's Horn Concerto - long before the Flanders and Swann version :lol: :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#5396 Post by LAT » Wed May 25, 2011 10:38 pm

That's a result Fraggle! Congratulations! :D

giraffe
Twigi

#5397 Post by giraffe » Wed May 25, 2011 10:54 pm

Yes they got onto the subject of Dennis Brain because Ed is playing the Mozart, and the teacher said his cadenza is a good one to emulate. Teacher however gets easily off topic and before long they were discussing the date that seatbelts were made compulsory! :lol: (I'm not convinced the children don't lead him astray, so that he talks more than teaching. :roll: )

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#5398 Post by clvrlad » Thu May 26, 2011 3:19 am

giraffe wrote:Teacher however gets easily off topic and before long they were discussing the date that seatbelts were made compulsory! :lol: (I'm not convinced the children don't lead him astray, so that he talks more than teaching. :roll: )
reminds me of one of my old teachers :-D

http://www.authorsonline.co.uk/viewauthor.php?pid=256
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

LAT
Nagging Nora

#5399 Post by LAT » Thu May 26, 2011 9:53 am

He sounds a great teacher! :D Someone his pupils will always remember.

giraffe
Twigi

#5400 Post by giraffe » Thu May 26, 2011 10:54 am

.....tidying up! :o :o :o

In a pile of papers that included minutes from meetings in 2002 and 2004 I found a whole lot of puzzles. Ones that I've started and never finished. Photcopies of the map puzzles from DVP because the kids used to like doing them, Scurra puzzles that I've printed and never finished, games from DVP etc. I've put them all in a file to look at some time and sort out properly. Shows how often I don't tidy up. :oops:

I even got to the bottom of the pile and dusted the desk. :o :o