Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
Scurra
Alias the Jester

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#5961 Post by Scurra » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:21 pm

Alas, no, not Live Live :( Just on the radio.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#5962 Post by clvrlad » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:29 pm

Scurra wrote: Just on the radio.
did you enjoy the mime? :mrgreen:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#5963 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:53 am

...being woken up by my daughter. With my yogurt on toast-Guinness drinking- Risk playing son and his friends keeping me awake until 3am, I was quite tired today. :roll: My daughter, who has just bought herself a house last week and therefore, allegedly, moved out, does not yet have a shower fitted in her new house. So, being the exact opposite to her brother, and being an annoyingly breezy, cheerful MORNING person, she'd been out for a run, and then turned up here at 8am to have a shower and some breakfast. :roll: She was then picking my brains about how to tackle the new scheme of work in her new school.

"I have to link everything!" She said. "And their 10 week topic is on Chorleywood!"

Easy peasy.
1.What is Chorleywood best known for? (well apart from being the richest place in the country! :lol: ) The Chorleywood Bread Process. Bit of history there, I'd say, plus science (how does bread rise? Changes of state / Heat rising in the oven etc.) technology (making bread), maths (weights and measures) geography (where was the building, where was the wheat produced, learning about maps) literacy (researching it all and writing up the project).
2. William Penn was associated with Chorleywood quakers and took some of them to found Pennsylvania. LOTS to learn about history and religion there, you might think...

"Oh yeah," she said. "I suppose it's quite good really then."

Der... :lol: :lol:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

kathlyn

#5964 Post by kathlyn » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:59 pm

My aunt used to live in a big house in Chorleywood.
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5965 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:40 pm

I'm a little concerned that my daughter won't quite be prepared for the "Luvvy" mummies and precocious children. Her last school had two traveller children (whose families were at war) and at least 5 boys with fairly fundamental behavioural issues. :roll:

Anyway, today I've mostly bin...
sitting in my living room, wearing a grass skirt and a chef's hat and reading "Now We Are Six". Like you do when you're clearing out the loft... :lol:

giraffe
Twigi

#5966 Post by giraffe » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:54 pm

Having had a massive clear out of the childrens cupboards. (Rapidly growing son who has grown out of his clothes 3 times in a year, plus school that has changed colour of uniform, elder daughter who never throws anything away, but only wears the same 2 or 3 sets of clothes, and younger daughter who has also had a huge growth spurt) And husband who has had a big clearout of his drawers etc. I put five big bags out for the charity collection this morning. The dining room is looking a bit tidier!

Laura

#5967 Post by Laura » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:29 pm

...driving, and crashing twice, a narrow boat. The guy who was actually in charge crashed it five times though, although he was doing much more tricky things than I was. I have a horrible feeling that I may be very very achy tomorrow after 16 locks. :?

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5968 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:31 pm

Bet it was fun though? :D

Laura

#5969 Post by Laura » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:32 pm

Oh yes, I just think I may regret being enthusiastic tomorrow. I did every lock. The sensible people took it in turns!!!

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#5970 Post by LAT » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:38 pm

We went on a canal holiday once when I was pregnant. Either my husband didn't trust me to drive the boat or (more likely) didn't understand the locks, but I ended up doing them all too. It's such a lovely way to travel though, a great way to unwind completely. And I love the clever use of space on board with all the different storage areas.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5971 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:59 pm

I don't care for them at all. One of my sister in laws (hippy one) lives on a canal boat. We usually visit her once a year, and I just can't wait to get off it. Far too closed in and claustrophobic for my liking. But obviously they like it!!

Laura

#5972 Post by Laura » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:26 am

Well, I would have to put it in the category of 'nice for a day trip', but I don't think it would be my sort of thing full-time. However, we did pass one boat that I think probably had more floor-space and a nicer kitchen than some flats, so I can see why people do it.

giraffe
Twigi

#5973 Post by giraffe » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:34 am

We did it as a family holiday once when I was a child. When we arrived the boat we had hired was unavailable and they upgraded us to a larger one and we were very glad they had! I remember it being peaceful while we were on the canals, but we had a day on the Severn and my parents likened that to driving on a motorway.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5974 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:42 am

I would probably enjoy being on one if, like Laura, we were moving, and I was opening and closing locks etc., or being on the top of the boat and watching the scenery go by. But being IN them when they are stationary is just awful. Incidentally, that programme about Timothy Spall travelling through various lochs etc. in a boat is quite interesting looking at the places he's passing through. Yesterday he was going through a lock "ladder". Bet his wife ached after that!! :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5975 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:15 pm

... Helping my girl to put up displays in her new classroom. Crikey, these primary teachers do need to be multi-talented. :shock: She's made all her displays herself (well, I made some of them because I'm sad and enjoy doing things like that). It's quite difficult to put individual letters up to make a display title STRAIGHT whilst standing on a stool... The other problem was that I didn't like the colours that the previous teacher had put up for backing paper and borders, because it clashed with the displays, so ended up changing it. I really wish I wasn't so flipping OCD... it took ages! :lol:

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#5976 Post by clvrlad » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:33 pm

Bunnylump wrote: It's quite difficult to put individual letters up to make a display title STRAIGHT whilst standing on a stool...
blue tac, cotton thread and a spirit level.........

i used to do something similar for scenery... (we had a xmas message one it was at the top...i could have taken the roll down un rolled it and painted it on the floor... let it dry re roll it re hang it..)

or i could just paint it off the ladder and hope.... :mrgreen:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#5977 Post by MBH » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:48 am

Laura wrote:In case anyone is around right now, or wants to i-player it - I am VERY much enjoying the comedy prom right now on BBC2. There hasn't been a dud act on yet. Loving it!!!
Finally got to finish this before it fell off the iPlayer play list. Brilliant. I'm off to find our more about Beardyman (that looping trick is amazing), and I'm sad to say I totally fell for the Language of Prejudice gag :cry:

Thanks Laura for pointing this my way - it was a great show.

dramaticat

#5978 Post by dramaticat » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:12 pm

...(or will mostly be) attending the Eynsford music festival. There are three local bands ranging from jazz funk to grunge rock, followed by the headline act - a Queen tribute band.

So glad the weather is glorious today! I didn't fancy my beer diluted by rainwater and mud in my burger!
Dear Mr Optimist, Mr Pessimist and Mr Realist, While you were arguing about the glass of water, I drank it! Yours sincerely, Mr Opportunist.

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#5979 Post by Scurra » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:03 pm

clvrlad wrote:
Scurra wrote: Just on the radio.
did you enjoy the mime? :mrgreen:
Forgot to reply to this, but I too have only just caught up with the television version. But on the radio we got a commentary to go with it! (It worked out pretty well actually.)
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#5980 Post by eirian » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:11 pm

....packing :D
Off to take shameless advantage of devoted grandparents for a couple of weeks :)
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway