Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
Scurra
Alias the Jester

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#7761 Post by Scurra » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:29 pm

I can completely understand that. Unfortunately.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#7762 Post by clvrlad » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:24 am

hiding from the poisoning threat?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#7763 Post by MBH » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:47 am

Bunnylump wrote:Mystery solved. He had waited for two hours at UCL library while she waited at Euston. :roll: :roll: :lol:
I'm sure this is a stupid question but... have they heard of a new invention called "The Mobile Phone"? (I thought young people today were permenantly wired into them anyway) :roll:
Bunnylump wrote:His girlfriend caught a bus with no notice, we directed her, running, via google Earth street view to a place which I was looking up on another computer to get the printing done and a CD made. She managed to charm all the other people in the queue to get in front of them, then ran back to UCL with all the booklets and CD. She achieved this all within the space of 40 minutes and made it with 1 minute to go.
What relation is she to Anika Rice? :lol: She sounds great.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#7764 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:16 am

:lol: She is certainly VERY tolerant. Mind you, she's about as dippy as he is. :roll:
The phone problem occurred because her phone suddenly stopped allowing her to make outgoing calls or texts, although she could receive calls from us. Dibble thought he'd left his at home (no surprise there, we already had to turn back half way to Watford met line in the rush hour because he'd forgotten his wallet). In fact, his phone was buried at the bottom of his bag, and was on silent.

I might add, this isn't the first catastrophe. When I was on holiday I was getting panicked phone calls from Dibble saying that he'd spent so long trying to sort out his stats programme that he'd run out of time to do all his measurements. He needed the measurements to write all his analysis, and it would take at least a day. So while I was on holiday, I was ringing round people (even had to pay my friend's son for 4 hours) to go and measure things from photos. This message from K sort of sums it up..
All the flies' testes and accessory glands have been measured now (I never thought I'd have to say that sentence). Tortoise, cat and boy fed and kitchen cleaned. Now enjoy your holiday!!" :lol: :lol:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

MBH
King of the Swingers

#7765 Post by MBH » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:28 am

Thank you for relaying that message - I needed a good laugh. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Today I've got my bus set up at a Community Centre in one of the 'deprived' areas of Sunderland. The worrying part of the dozen or so women I've met so far is they all look like virtual clones of each other at different ages. All (without being too 'sizeist') would be described as 'big boned' :roll: and all the kids being tiny little slips of things who are being cursed at for not being quick enough in following and dropping their cupcakes on the floor before picking them up and continuing eating them :(

I never let the reputation of places put me off or influence me in the way I work with people - but this place does have a strange feel to it. Oh the joys of solo-working :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7766 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:34 am

I know just what you mean. The sort of place where there is a direct correlation between the profitability of MacDonalds "restaurants" and overall peroxide sales? :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7767 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:41 am

Do you know what? I'd LOVE to have a stress-free day this week. :roll:

First of all, my friend asked if I would go with her to take her cat to the vet. Cat hasn't been eating and has been losing weight, so had been given anti thyroid drugs, which seemed to be helping. But the vet felt the cat's stomach and told my friend her pusscat has a tumour and is unlikely to live more than a couple of months. :cry: :cry:

After I'd mopped my friend up and delivered her and the cat back home, had a brief interlude of niceness visiting my daughter. Got home to settle down and try to write a puzzle at 9pm and got a panicky phone call from my brother. They had been out for a bike ride, and Stella had crashed on the towpath and couldn't walk. They were almost certain she had badly broken her leg, so called an ambulance. THEY WOULDN'T SEND AN AMBULANCE because it "wasn't an emergency". :shock: :evil: HOW can they possibly think that it ISN'T an emergency that they were stuck on the flipping towpath, as it was getting dark, with no transport other than a crashed bike, when she had to get to WATFORD with a broken leg (because they closed our A and E in this town!!)???? UNBELIEVABLE.

So I drove as close as I could get, and D and John carried Stella (who was in agony and in shock) about 100 yards to the car. Then I drove all the way to Watford, to find that because there was a football match on in the stadium right next door to the hospital (great plan, eh?). So we got redirected by the police round the one way system, and got lost because the hospital wasn't signposted properly. :roll: Eventually got to the hospital and stopped outside A and E. My brother went in to try to get some medical people with a stretcher to get her from the car and take her in. He was told "there's a wheelchair over there. You can bring her in." :shock: BEYOND BELIEF. :x

Anyway, the upshot is that I've only just got home (12 30am). Stella has a spiral fracture in her fibula which they have bodged up with a plaster cast, saying she will need to be seen on Thursday to see if she needs a plate put in her leg. Well, that inspires confidence, doesn't it????

PLEASE could I just have a nice, normal, stress free day today? Have I REALLY been that bad that I deserve all this?? (Don't answer that... :lol: )

chazzie

#7768 Post by chazzie » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:27 pm

Daren't really ask - but how has your day been today Bunny? A relaxing day in the garden??

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7769 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:44 pm

Phew!! Yes, today was just what I needed. Been out looking at wedding dresses again, then for lunch. Our wedding dress hunt party seems to get bigger each time - K's boyfriend's mum has now joined in (think she feels she's missed out having two boys!) :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#7770 Post by LAT » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:15 pm

Glad today was a bit better for you Bunny.

Today I have been at the Harry Potter Studio tour. It was really good and absolutely fascinating to see the detail that went into the creation of the films. I thoroughly recommend it to any fans. And we got to drink some butterbeer half way round too. :D
If any of the photos I took are any good I'll post one or two up here.

And the cafe on site was really good as well, with a decent selection of good quality food. I was very pleasantly surprised as I had been expecting more the sort of dismal selection you get at motorway service stations etc.

Now I want to watch all the films again. :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7771 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:26 pm

Sounds brilliant. I really want to go too - it's really near me but haven't got there yet. Glad you enjoyed your trip, LAT. :D

giraffe
Twigi

#7772 Post by giraffe » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:09 am

Can I come too!

giraffe
Twigi

#7773 Post by giraffe » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:32 am

..........to get F's GCSE results. He got 8 :D and 2 :) So we're really pleased.

MBH
King of the Swingers

#7774 Post by MBH » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:44 am

Can I come three? Sounds like fun.

Well done to F - glad to see there was no :( 's (but they were hardly expected).

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7775 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:59 am

Congratulations to Fernando!! :D :D (What were the 2? Don't understand :? )

Well, you two, if you can get here then I'm absolutely happy to go to HP with you. It's about 5 miles from me!

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#7776 Post by eirian » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:39 am

Congratulations, Fernando!
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

chazzie

#7777 Post by chazzie » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:15 pm

Yes - well done Fernando - enjoy the celebrating - you deserve to!

giraffe
Twigi

#7778 Post by giraffe » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:23 pm

I've just been to the slimming club and got my certificate for losing 3 stone! Feeling quite pleased with myself. (bordering on smug :mrgreen: )

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7779 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:19 pm

3 stone!!! Flipping heck!! Well done you!!

I'm trying again (just not actually dieting, just cutting down a bit and exercising more) and have managed to lose half a stone in three weeks.

giraffe
Twigi

#7780 Post by giraffe » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:39 pm

That's a good start. :D

I was down by 2 stone 13 and a half before I went on holiday, so then had to get rid of what I had put on while I was away. Another lady that started the week before me got to 5 stone today, she has kept me going a few times as we have been plodding along together.