Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#8221 Post by clvrlad » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:23 pm

they're not very good ones
two are university ones pointed at the cathedral but aren't close enough to see anyone
the third is pointed at the river with a bridge in the background

goggle brings them up on its map if you're interested in them
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#8222 Post by LAT » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:16 pm

Went to Chichester today and saw a peregrine falcon at the top of the cathedral spire. It was making quite a racket before it flew off and I eventually worked out why.
There was a young chap there with a really good camera. Apparently he's been coming for three years and today he managed to get shots of the peregrines mating. He showed us the pics and they were pretty amazing. Seems like his patience eventually paid off. :)

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#8223 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:24 pm

Swimming extraordinarily long distances (for me). Body wondering what the heck I'm thinking of... :lol:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

Laura

#8224 Post by Laura » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:31 pm

Today I've bin to the National Railway Museum at York for Roo's 3rd birthday celebrations. Spent the first part of the day carrying Faith around (she's now 16 months old) while she pointed and shouted "TRAIN!!!" at every train she saw. There were a lot of trains there. Then, she looked at the Shinkansen bullet train and shouted "ROCKET!!!" It reminded me of Roo who at about the same age, after about an hour walking through the woods said, "Look! A tree!"

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#8225 Post by clvrlad » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:07 pm

lol sounds good the railway museum is great fun ;-)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

kathlyn

#8226 Post by kathlyn » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:58 am

Anybody want some snow?!!
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

LAT
Nagging Nora

#8227 Post by LAT » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:13 am

no thanks, we have our own!

giraffe
Twigi

#8228 Post by giraffe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:05 am

We're completely snowed in. I had to take Kingsley to Birmingham last night as it was the last rehearsal before Sunday's concert for her orchestra. I set off with a suitcase for the weekend, a bag of food in the boot, with the idea that we might camp out at my mum's house if the snow got worse. There wasn't much snow in Bham so we came home afterwards. The motorways were very wet, but no real lying snow until we hit the sliproad off the motorway. Steadily more lying snow all the way from there (only about a mile) and as I slowed down outside our house to try to work out where the road ended and the pavement started my wheels began to spin. Managed to make it onto the drive at the second attempt. Another 6 inches fell overnight and it is still snowing. I have no idea how we are going to get to the concert tomorrow. Womdering if we should have camped at mum's now. :roll:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8229 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:57 am

Crikey - six inches of snow on 23rd March??? :o We've got an inch or so here but it's BITTERLY cold. I think our frost thermostat made the heating come on in the middle of the night - meaning the temperature INDOORS must have got below 3 degrees C... :shock: I don't think my daffodils and hyacinths in my front garden (which were just about to come out in flower) and my three camelia shrubs which were all covered in buds stand a chance. :evil:

kathlyn

#8230 Post by kathlyn » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:33 pm

We eventually got out just after 11am as our local farmer had gritted the road. We had 2ft drifts around the house but at the top of the very steep hill there were drifts 5ft high where the snow had blown off the fileds and up against the hedge. The main road wasn't too bad except on the exposed sections were there was up to 4 ins or so across the road again on exposed areas. The A50 was awash. Once it freezes tonight it'll be a skating rink tomorrow.

I hope spring arrives soon.
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#8231 Post by Scurra » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:51 pm

kathlyn wrote:I hope spring arrives soon.
Didn't you notice? Spring was a couple of weeks ago.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Laura

#8232 Post by Laura » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:43 pm

No. "Spring" was a couple of weeks ago. Actual spring has most definitely not sprung yet!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8233 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:27 am

I think spring sprung on a Tuesday about two weeks ago. Summer just didn't bother summoning up and now we're back to winter again. It'll be Christmas before long, you just watch.

chazzie

#8234 Post by chazzie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:10 am

Miss, Misss....... she's mentioned the C word ......in March!!!

giraffe
Twigi

#8235 Post by giraffe » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:48 am

The road just round the corner is like the cresta run. (I once did a 180 spin at the bottom, and had to climb up and try again as I was pointing the wrong way) Terrifying to come down, and then I met a car trying to come out of our road. I'm thinking of going out with a spade to sabotage the cresta run. :twisted:

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#8236 Post by MBH » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 am

kathlyn wrote:Anybody want some snow?!!
All we've been having are little flurries that are not lying - but it is SO COLD... taking Maisie out in the morning is not fun at the moment.

Bring On Spring!!!!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8237 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:19 pm

We went out for a walk on Sunday in the snow, it was bitterly cold (so cold it made my face hurt) but it was SO beautiful. We were walking over crunchy white fields and through woods where the snow had been blown onto one side of the trees, then frozen there. So all the trees looked like one-sided, sparkly skeletons. It was so still and white that it reminded me of Narnia. Then, as we walked through, the wind got up and started to blow the particles of ice off the branches, and it made a tinkling noise, like hundreds of little jingly bells. It was really quite magical...and made me realise what a good plan it had been to make the effort to leave my sofa in my nice, warm house in favour of a little fresh air. :D

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#8238 Post by MBH » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:24 pm

Traditional Good Friday visit to Gibside which (as usual) involved going on the kiddies Easter Egg Trail :lol: We used to blame it on 'young Jennie' who was always the default 'kid' in the family - but once Maisie has had her walk in the morning we try not to drag her out again.

So a pleasant hour following in the (alleged) footsteps of 7-year-old Mary Elenore Bowes reading facts about her life and spotting baskets of eggs in trees / on walls / etc. Saw some sun that had a little feeble warmth in it on the way up to the stables, then had coffee in the courtyard under dark clouds, then walking back to the car in polystyrene ball style snow - so weather for all seasons. Thankfully not as COLD as it has been.

Hoping to catch up on some sleep over this long weekend - but I'll check in here from time to time. Going along Maisie's morning walk I'm still formulating 'clues' for a possible River Tyne puzzle trail ;)

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8239 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:44 am

I'm liking the sound of your puzzle trail, MBH. Have you any thoughts when we might do it?

I've bin...making the most of not being at work. I've been OUT, OUT and a bit more OUT. :lol: Oh, and then got distracted on my way to bed tonight and made an evil puzzle to torture Scurra. :lol: And yes, it is 1 45am. :o

Hope you all have a good Easter...s'pose I'd better think about spending money on some chocolate (that's what this festival is all about, isn't it?? :mrgreen: ) Waits for barrage of abuse and complaints...

LAT
Nagging Nora

#8240 Post by LAT » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:43 am

Best of luck on that! Our Sainsburys had almost nothing left yesterday morning. I was after som Malteser Bunnies as my daughter had dropped a heavy hint about them in an email. Luckily I did find some at a local small supermarket.