Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#2581 Post by gill216 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:59 pm

I'm sitting here with my jaw down to my knees. Yesterday I decided to brighten up our lounge with brighter curtains, cushions, lampshades etc. I sent OH to Homebase to collect 3 lampshades I'd reserved online and he has come back with them- plus loads of really nice glass ornaments,vases, leather picture frames, table lamps, plant pot holders - even coasters- all in the exact shade as the curtains I bought. :shock: He spent more today than I did on the basics :shock:

I don't know whether to leave it at that or try the same tactic in another room :mrgreen:
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

strep98
One Hot Cherub
Currently reading: Moon Sister

#2582 Post by strep98 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:31 pm

gill216 wrote:I'm sitting here with my jaw down to my knees. Yesterday I decided to brighten up our lounge with brighter curtains, cushions, lampshades etc. I sent OH to Homebase to collect 3 lampshades I'd reserved online and he has come back with them- plus loads of really nice glass ornaments,vases, leather picture frames, table lamps, plant pot holders - even coasters- all in the exact shade as the curtains I bought. :shock: He spent more today than I did on the basics :shock:

I don't know whether to leave it at that or try the same tactic in another room :mrgreen:
Try the same with another room QUICKLY :D :D

I've been a good girl and written all my thank you notes, could someone tall polish my halo please :lol:
I don't have hot flushes. I have short holidays in the Tropics.
Women are Angels And when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to flyon a broomstick We are flexible like that.
A pesimist is only an optimist who knows more

giraffe
Twigi

#2583 Post by giraffe » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:45 pm

Consider it polished. :mrgreen:

Well done.

No.6 on new years resolution list: Finish the dining room curtains and cushions for the lounge that I started the Easter before last. (I gave up after 6 curtains, 2 pelmets and 3 cushions)

strep98
One Hot Cherub

#2584 Post by strep98 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:02 pm

giraffe wrote:Consider it polished. :mrgreen:

Well done.

No.6 on new years resolution list: Finish the dining room curtains and cushions for the lounge that I started the Easter before last. (I gave up after 6 curtains, 2 pelmets and 3 cushions)
Don't blame you I did the lounge last year shortened 4 crtains and made 4 cushion covers and thought that was bad enough. Thanks for the Mr Sheen on the halo.
Women are Angels And when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to flyon a broomstick We are flexible like that.

giraffe
Twigi

#2585 Post by giraffe » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:13 pm

It was one of those "it seemed like a good idea at the time" jobs. Two full length sets of curtains, one very wide to go across big patio doors, and one shorter pair but very wide. Then I copied the pelmets from the hideous pink, badly faded curtains that were here when we moved in. Copying someone else's pelmets means they are a design I've not done before, so rather complicated. I've been putting it off until I can really devote some uninterrupted time to it as it's not the sort of thing I can pick up and put down. I'm now feeling totally ashamed that quite so much time has passed and there are loads of other jobs that I have also been putting off, so the resolution list is quite long. :cry: :oops:

gill216

#2586 Post by gill216 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:59 pm

I suspect most of our houses have been neglected in favour of puzzling. :D

Why not? We only walk this once. We may as well enjoy it. Ready mades and wonder web have become my new friends. :mrgreen:
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#2587 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:10 pm

Last time I made all our curtains for the living room I had to order 30 metres of fabric. (We have patio doors, big bay window and 2 side windows all in one room). And when I got it I didn't like the colour. Still, stuck with it now. Probably forever. :roll: Still, I killed the sewing machine in the process so I haven't done any sewing since. :D I HATE sewing.

And Strep - thank you letters? Flipping heck you're putting us all to shame. I'm such a heathen I just texted folk who know how to open messages on their phones (i.e. NOT my Mum and Dad) and then rang the rest. :D

And crikey Gill - your OH's being a bit impressive isn't he? Mine won't shop. Full stop. :roll:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

gill216

#2588 Post by gill216 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:37 pm

It was my desperation attempt to get him out of my hair for an hour or so. Would you go collect my order please?

I am also truly impressed given that he can hardly remember what day it is, let alone find matching items off the top of his head that I am really really pleased with.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#2589 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:05 pm

I am also truly impressed given that he can hardly remember what day it is
That just made me laugh. I just this minute asked my son
"Did you remember to go and teach Emily the guitar yesterday?" (he'd agreed to do that earlier in the week). His response was:

"Why, what day is it?" He thought it was Friday. :roll: I then asked

"When is it you have to go back to university ?"(yes folks, sad but true, he is clever enough to go to university, though you'd never know it).

"Don't know. It might be the 8th. It isn't the 8th already is it?"

Pass me a gun. Now. :roll:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

giraffe
Twigi

#2590 Post by giraffe » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:20 pm

Bunnylump wrote:Last time I made all our curtains for the living room I had to order 30 metres of fabric. :
This was 40 metres. I tried to order 41 to be on the safe side, but their computer nearly exploded, as 40 metres is a whole roll and they couldn't order more than a roll. I suppose in case the joins were in the wrong place, or it didn't match. :lol:

My OH is much better at shopping than me. I think he's more patient.

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#2591 Post by tricia » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:55 am

I am chilling out today before work tomorrow. Trying to the last few puzzles. As Gill knows I had friends for dinner and was trying and failed to do the grand national in betwen preparing the menu.

Poor Olly was terrorised by an 18 month todler who just kept running up to him - pointing at him and saying Cat the bye bye - we tried to distract him with cuddly toys - Ewan that is not Olly ...................but no he preferred the real thing.

When they went - Olly came out of hiding and checked that he had gone - it was so funny

Today is back to normal
Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

strep98
One Hot Cherub

#2592 Post by strep98 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:37 pm

I only wrote the Thank you notes to OH's family to try and a shame him into thanking his Grandmother and Aunt, but he refused so I wrote mine and signed them just from me.

kingsley

#2593 Post by kingsley » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:39 pm

Today I discovered googlegooglegooglegoogle! :lol:

It's great, you can have four different googles in the same tab! :lol: (ok, they're a bit small!)

evilkeen

#2594 Post by evilkeen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:59 pm

Hmmm... that could be useful... possibly...

Not sure why they all seem to be crammed into the top half of the screen, with the bottom half(ish) blank. Looking at the code for the page it suggests they should be taking up 48% of the screen depth. Thought it might be an Opera think, but it's the same in IE.

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#2595 Post by clvrlad » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:50 pm

its the same in fire fox aswell
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

SparkOut
International Man of Mystery

#2596 Post by SparkOut » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:51 am

They have probably done it to keep the proportions of the google page the same ratio as it would be on the full size area you have in your browser.
You could save this file on your desktop, rename it so that it ends .htm instead of .txt and then double click that as a link to start up a 4 pane view of Google that fits in the quarters of the screen size that you have. It may look a bit different to how you expect because of the different screen ratios you may have relative to the original Google view. (Sounds waffly, but never mind.)

By the way, they haven't done anything magic to make Google work differently, just that the style code tells your browser to put four "inline frames" into the page you see, and then fills each one with Google as the source.
Attachments
google4.htm.txt
(1.1 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#2597 Post by clvrlad » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:11 am

well i knew what they'd done but didnt realise that was why they shrank the height by 4 but the width by 2

still dont understand why that keeps it in proportion
please explain :-D
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

SparkOut
International Man of Mystery

#2598 Post by SparkOut » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:36 am

That was probably their intention, but they probably made a mistake.

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#2599 Post by eirian » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:27 am

feeling guilty about not struggling into work. Was prepared to walk to the tram stop again, (as it would take too long to dig the car out), but if I did, trams are severely delayed and local news said not to travel unless necessary. Don't think my job is really necessary, so I've stayed at home. When I phoned up, I was the 3rd person to have done so and there was only 1 person in by then from a team of 10...
Mind you, we do have 6" snow here, and still falling, so I reckon it's as good an excuse as I can think of to take the day off!
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

kathlyn

#2600 Post by kathlyn » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:20 am

I've just been out in the garden to top the bird feeders up and pour boiling water into the bird bath to break the ice. I didn't put on a coat as I was only going to be out side for a couple of minutes but by the time I got back in the house I wished I had as the cold was penetrating right through my jumper and blouse. So now warming up from inside out with a nice hot cup of tea.
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!