Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#9761 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:09 pm

My last ever 6th former has just got in touch to say that he's got the A levels he needed (art - A, Design and Technology C - yes he's the one of lightsaber fame! - Sociology C) and is off to university to study Graphic Design and Art. Also several excellent results in the GCSE students I worked with. So maybe it was all worthwhile, after all. :)

I will miss the students terribly, and I will miss this sense of achievement and the sense of being able to make a real difference to people's lives. However, no other regrets whatsoever. :lol: I am positively relieved to never have to work for that particular "management team" who couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag, and I am really pleased to no longer have to tolerate the unfairness and vindictiveness I was experiencing!

I'm quite enjoying being a lazy slob. :)
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

SparkOut
International Man of Mystery

#9762 Post by SparkOut » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:30 pm

I'm going to venture that "lazy slob" translates to "no earnings generating occupation". I can't imagine a bunny without industry and/or activity.

chazzie

#9763 Post by chazzie » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:33 pm

Hi Bunnylump

I had missed your news about giving up the job....sorry I've been out of touch a lot this year. I agree with Sparkout - can't help thinking you'll be doing a lot with your leisure time...enjoy your new life you deserve it

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#9764 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:53 pm

:lol: :lol: Well, I have to admit that I was a bit concerned about being bored. However, so far I don't actually think a day has passed without someone turning up unexpectedly! One of these days I might actually get around to doing some housework... :oops:

I expect that the winter will be far more challenging! :?

Laura

#9765 Post by Laura » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:46 am

Don't be silly - your daughter's a primary school teacher isn't she? You'll be in charge of all props, costumes, scenery, lighting and anything else possible for all the school Christmas events for a start!!!

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#9766 Post by LAT » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:10 am

Precisely my thoughts Laura. :lol:

Have you thought of trying to do some private tuition Bunnylump? Then you would still have contact with children but without the school bureaucracy.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#9767 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:54 am

Well, I did slightly consider that, but actually it's a pain in the arse. Janet does it (she's a maths bod) and the problem is that firstly you have to have the students in your home. As we have one through lounge / dining room / office that wouldn't work when D wants to be e mailing people etc. Secondly, it's very seasonal - students start to panic as the exams approach and couldn't give a fig about it for the rest of the year. :lol: She has also had the problem that she is expecting a pupil to turn up for an hour (and thus is expecting £25) and they'll ring at the last minute with some sort of illness excuse, which means that a) she has stayed in unnecessarily and b) she hadn't earned anything. :roll:

But yes, I fully anticipate being roped into all sorts of costume making / props etc., although I get that anyway! :lol:

I met up with a friend from way-back-when yesterday (we hadn't seen each other for 26 years!) She's just started up a dog walking / boarding business! That certainly wouldn't be my cup of tea, but maybe cat-sitters-r- us? :lol: (I AM joking about that by the way!) :lol:

The thing is that I don't ACTUALLY need the money - I was always careful to never come to rely on my wage so that if I didn't like it I could strop off! :lol: It's the boredom factor which bothers me, but like I say, so far so good! :D

giraffe
Twigi

#9768 Post by giraffe » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:28 pm

My mum does tutoring, and she has never had them come to her home. She only does it visiting them, and insists that the parents are in the house so that she isn't left babysitting a child unable to leave until the parents return. She is now 80, so is very picky who she will take on. Most of hers have been regular and no too many cancellations, and if she has someone cancel on her more than once she would sack them and give their slot to someone else. She has had families come back to her several times for younger children as they reach the age where they need help, and has often had them phone up years after she helped them through the 11+ and tell her that they are off to University or about their GCSE results. I think you have to be careful who you take on.

LAT
Nagging Nora

#9769 Post by LAT » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:49 pm

Yes, K did some tutoring once and always went to the girl's house. She did it for several months though, at least two terms, not just the last few weeks.
She was doing this while holding down a full-time job so it was in the evening but these days schools seem to finish so early that I imagine mid-afternoon/early evening would be quite a popular time. (The only reason she stopped is that she moved abroad, not that she didn't enjoy it)

SparkOut

#9770 Post by SparkOut » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:34 pm

Cutting up our "good" settee trying to find the lost engagement ring that slipped off Mrs S' finger along with wedding ring.
The wedding ring was found between the seat and the gap into the guts of the settee. The engagement ring wasn't.
So, one completely destroyed settee later, no engagement ring found. :(
Stupid dog eaten it? :shock:
Later, looking in her handbag which was next to the settee, there it was :) No dog x-ray/operation needed. :)
Still a destroyed settee :(
:lol: :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#9771 Post by LAT » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:35 pm

Oh dear! :lol:

But you have the ring and obviously that matters more to you than the settee.

Today we have got a full family again. :D
Daughter is home from Italy for three weeks and son has come home for the night too. It's the first time we have all been together since the end of December.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#9772 Post by Bunnylump » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:09 pm

:lol: Oh, SparkOut, that's classic! I had D pretty much destroy the house looking for my wedding ring (including emptying all of the u bends in the pipes etc.) Guess where I found it? I had been making a crumble, and it had come off in there! :lol:

These days my fingers are so fat that I'd have to have my rings cut off to remove them, I think! :oops:

In the past few days I have bin...
Going on an unexpected trip to Milton Keynes and a nice walk round Willen Lake and a look at the Peace Pagoda.

Purchasing (with vouchers) a new "toy" - an apple picker! I got all enthusiastic with it and picked a mountain of Bramley apples. Only trouble is now that I have to DO something with them! Apple pie / tarte tatin / apple crumble / apple jelly anyone? :lol:

I'm fairly distressed because yesterday was my first day since leaving work when I didn't have anything planned or anywhere to go / any unexpected or expected guests / wasn't on holiday. It's a tough life. :lol:

Laura

#9773 Post by Laura » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:59 pm

Bunnylump wrote: Apple pie / tarte tatin / apple crumble / apple jelly anyone?
Yes please!!! Shall I PM you my address so you can post me some?!?! :lol:

SparkOut

#9774 Post by SparkOut » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:50 pm

I think it would be better if we all turn up at Bunny's 8-)

Laura

#9775 Post by Laura » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:24 pm

Bother, we should have been more organised and had a bank holiday trip!!!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#9776 Post by Bunnylump » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:48 pm

:lol: :lol:

SparkOut

#9777 Post by SparkOut » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:25 pm

Coming back from a whirlwind tour of European football stadia around the main feature of the weekend, being the farewell testimonial match for Dede (long-standing player for Borussia Dortmund). Anyone who knows my complete disinterest in football may be surprised, but I don't mind, it was all worthwhile for Monkey's birthday, taking him and his friend.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#9778 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:11 pm

Sounds fun, SparkOut.

Yesterday I went to the little village outside Oxford where my boy is currently lodging while he does his 3 month internship. He is staying in a pretty little old cottage with medieval sections, complete with chickens in the garden and a Rayburn to cook on. :D We then went back to see his new flat in London (rather a different kettle of fish!)

LAT
Nagging Nora

#9779 Post by LAT » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:45 pm

...to London. I had a meeting in the morning and then went to Covent Garden after lunch to see a whole flock of Shauns - 121 of them in total. Now all I need to do is label the photos I took and see if I managed to get them all as they were a bit scattered round the whole plaza area. But there were some very impressive ones. :D

Looby

#9780 Post by Looby » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:21 pm

I was thinking of going to see the Shauns yesterday but didn't have time with the U3A things I do. I did see 34 of them in Bristol
There's no point in having a last minute if you don't use it!