Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
Scurra
Alias the Jester

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#9961 Post by Scurra » Sun May 08, 2016 6:55 pm

...hunting for the hidden treasure in the Victoria & Albert Museum. :)

A generally fun experience, although the random nature of the ways the clues were released, combined with the sheer size of the museum meant that I got frustrated quite often with the sense that I was always on the wrong side of the building! And the time limit meant that it was hard to stop and stare at the wonderful stuff you were just scooting past to get to somewhere else. Mind you, I was also at a bit of a disadvantage given that I was a team of one. The best-scoring teams had four or five people in them, and that was always going to make a big difference. Mind you, apparently we were all much better than the previous groups who had done this particular "game" though...

I can definitely recommend it though; they were a very professional team with pretty decent organisation and a well-constructed clue system that generally worked fine (except in the odd internet deadzones that caused havoc with the webapp.) I can imagine that this particular game will be quite popular.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Wulfruna

#9962 Post by Wulfruna » Thu May 12, 2016 12:40 pm

Creating a costume to turn Scurra into a German Admiral for a role-playing event.......
Attachments
admiral.jpg
admiral.jpg (13.23 KiB) Viewed 1707 times

Biscuit
Currently reading: The book of secrets

#9963 Post by Biscuit » Sat May 21, 2016 8:32 am

Heading to whitstable for the day. Does anyone know the area and want to suggest where is best to visit and also where is nice to eat

Wulfruna

#9964 Post by Wulfruna » Sat May 28, 2016 2:40 pm

frustrated! :( :o :cry:
Our old cooker (well not all that old - only about 8 years) suddenly packed up and the oven refused to come on. I have never liked it as it is dual fuel (gas hob/electric oven) and I much prefer all-electric. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT TO TRIGGER A DISCUSSION ON THE MERITS OF EACH!!)
So we decided to call it a day and indulge my preference for a top-range all-electric Stoves cooker and ordered this from a reputable on-line company and at the same time book them to take away the old one. All very good - though we were a bit taken aback when they said that the delivery would be at 7.00am on Thursday morning! (yes really - never had anything before 8.00am before) No problem to disconnect the old cooker ready for that. They duly delivered the new one and took away the old. It was only when we tried to wire in the new one - which is a simple standard procedure with a connector box at the back - that we discovered that it just did not fit and the screws did not connect with the wires. To be on the safe side we called in a professional electrician the next day, who confirmed that the connection box is faulty and there was nothing he could do...... ggrrrrrr! :evil:
Needless to say, the suppliers' office is closed at the weekend - and this is Bank Holiday as well! So can't even negotiate with them for a replacement until Tuesday - and because they took away the old one (with a working grill and hob....) we have nothing but the microwave left to use. Can't even boil an egg. We have a nasty suspicion that this took easily take more that a week to resolve and get a replacement. :( oh well............

SparkOut
International Man of Mystery

#9965 Post by SparkOut » Sat May 28, 2016 6:30 pm

That's a very extreme way to get a series of restaurant dinners!

Seriously, that's horrible, and I hope you get it resolved quickly.

Oh, and it's a bit too late now Biscuit, but I live about 20 miles from Whitstable. I am not very much help anyway though, as I only really know some doctors' surgeries. Sorry.

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#9966 Post by LAT » Sat May 28, 2016 8:40 pm

How frustrating for you Wulfruna! (Of course with both gas and electricity you are covered in most eventualities! ;) )
Hope you get it resolved quickly.

Wulfruna

#9967 Post by Wulfruna » Tue May 31, 2016 9:45 pm

Unfortunately they do not have a replacement model in stock (even if they did, I guess it could take a week until their next delivery in this part of the country!) However, they have agreed to send out an engineer to inspect it and hopefully carry out a repair on the spot..... - but not until Friday :(
So a bit longer on microwave meals and takeaways......

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#9968 Post by Bunnylump » Tue May 31, 2016 10:18 pm

But it's actually surprising how many really nice, proper meals you CAN cook in a microwave when you put your mind to it. For example, I almost always cook fish in there because it's nicer than most other methods (and healthier too as you don't have to add oil.) Almost all vegetables can be cooked to perfection, and it's absolutely the best way to cook things like scrambled eggs! :)
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

Wulfruna

#9969 Post by Wulfruna » Tue May 31, 2016 10:47 pm

Yes, I agree that many things cook well in the microwave, and the one we have is a high quality model..... But the biggest problem is trying to produce a meal for two people with everything done at the same time, when you have to do them one after the other - I normally only use it for doing one element of a meal at a time rather than all of them! However, I am rapidly learning how to juggle things around so that one lot is doing while the other "rests" :D

Wulfruna

#9970 Post by Wulfruna » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:14 pm

Boiling an egg for the first time in a week...... :lol:
Electrician arrived this morning and fixed a new connector - took about 5 minutes!
So - looking forward to cooking a full celebration meal tomorrow with a joint of venison and fresh veg picked from our own garden (a bunch of purple sprouting broccoli and the first of our flourishing broad beans.....)

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#9971 Post by eirian » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:16 pm

Good to hear!

btw, Thomas today declared that 'God lives in Devon', and then said sorry, he gets confused between heaven and devon... (I presume just pronouncing the words, although he had said earlier that 'heaven is where you go to die', so who knows :lol: :lol:
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

LAT
Nagging Nora

#9972 Post by LAT » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:15 pm

bless him! :D

Today I've mostly been drinking............... and eating too.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#9973 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:47 pm

Why? Not that this is a thing to be criticised, I hasten to add...

LAT
Nagging Nora

#9974 Post by LAT » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:05 pm

Just been to a great wedding. :D

The groom was N's cousin and the bride was Nigerian. Lots of the guests (probably at least 50 or 60) had travelled from Nigeria for the celebrations. The tables were all mixed so we had a Nigerian chief and his wife on our table. Many were in national dress.
The champagne didn't stop flowing from the moment we arrived at the reception. I probably declined more glasses than I accepted!! (Hard to understand I know :lol: ) Plus wine with the meal.

And we have come home with some great gifts too. Definitely a day to remember. :D

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#9975 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:15 pm

:D Sounds fabulous! I hope you took some photos!

LAT
Nagging Nora

#9976 Post by LAT » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:49 pm

Certainly did - not sure how good they will turn out to be. I was trying to tread a fine line between getting the snaps I wanted and being too much of a gawping tourist. The ladies' headdresses in particular were wonderful.

Biscuit

#9977 Post by Biscuit » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:54 pm

Tonight we are going to see my daughter's puppy. She looks a cutie but Is giving her hell. I have a photo on what's app but I don't know how to upload. Can any of you techies help

LAT
Nagging Nora

#9978 Post by LAT » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:13 pm

Sorry, I can't help - I know nothing about what's app. (Well I've heard of it but that's about it :roll: )

Biscuit

#9979 Post by Biscuit » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:27 pm

Hopefully this might work
Screenshot_20160616-222556.png
Screenshot_20160616-222556.png (1.44 MiB) Viewed 1589 times

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#9980 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:29 pm

Aw, what a cutie! He looks like a teddy bear! :lol: