Telly

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

Re: Telly

#61 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:06 pm

:lol: Well, I haven't been "able" to have babies for about 20 years, but it's the thought that counts!

And yes, I agree about the singer from the Lighthouse Family. It's a funny thing, a voice, isn't it? How different people like (or are attracted to) different timbres. For example, people rave about Barry White. Now his voice does NOTHING for me!
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#62 Post by LAT » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:57 am

So guess who's CD I am listening to now? Haven't actually played it for quite a while.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#63 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:09 am

Someone with a nice voice? :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#64 Post by LAT » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:10 am

:D

maisie ladybird

#65 Post by maisie ladybird » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:13 pm

Has anyone else watched Bandersnatch, the new Black Mirror programme on Netflix? We’ve just finished watching it and got a weird ending. We’re thinking of trying again with different choices to see what happens. Do we have free choice, or will we be lead to the same choices. We went round in some circles to get to where we ended up, so I’d be interested to see.

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#66 Post by Scurra » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:52 am

I understand there are at least five "endings" but there are also a lot of different ways to get to them. (Alas, I don't have Netflix so am unlikely to see this in the near future...)

Spoiler: Apparently one of them involves the central character complaining to his psychiatrist that he feels as though someone else is running his life and making all his decisions for him. :D
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#67 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:02 am

I don't have Netflix either, but that sounds very intriguing!

Did anyone watch the ABC Murders? If so, what did you think about the suggestions about Poirot's past?

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#68 Post by Scurra » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:21 am

I thought it was great. This was a story they couldn't really twist away too far from the original outcome or it simply wouldn't have worked (unlike, say, the Christie they did last year), so to add stuff about Poirot made sense to give it a bit more. And I thought it was pretty consistent with his character and established background from the novels without feeling as though they were simply trying to mess with us. I certainly didn't guess that was where they were going, even with all the careful setup that had been put in place for it and yet when it was revealed, it felt 'inevitable' to me. And I'd quite like to see Malkovich reprise the character now.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

maisie ladybird

#69 Post by maisie ladybird » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:25 am

Scurra wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:52 am
I understand there are at least five "endings" but there are also a lot of different ways to get to them. (Alas, I don't have Netflix so am unlikely to see this in the near future...)

Spoiler: Apparently one of them involves the central character complaining to his psychiatrist that he feels as though someone else is running his life and making all his decisions for him. :D
Yes, that’s one of the scenarios we had. It was quite amusing when he asked his computer ‘who are you?’, and one of the choices was Netflix - they then had to explain to someone from 1984 what that was.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#70 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:37 pm

Re ABC...I thought it was interesting - as far as I can remember, Poirot's past is fairly deliberately mysterious in the books. Although I did think it was rather too dramatic and slightly detracted from the main story! John Malkovich's accent took quite a bit of getting used to, as well! :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#71 Post by LAT » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:24 pm

I agree with you about the back-story being a bit too dramatic and detracting from the main story. And, from what I can see it is nothing like his true background at all. Besides which Poirot is meant to be small and dapper, immaculately turned out and John Malkovich certainly wasn't that. He didn't look as though he had shaved for a couple of days for a start which seemed totally out of character. The accent seemed to come and go rather. Sometimes it was non-existent and then suddenly it would be there again!

Of course we watched all three parts, having started it! :roll:
I'm not sure I would watch another one with the same cast/producer though.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#72 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:02 pm

Well...did anyone see The Great British Sewing Bee final? :shock: :o Are you all going to get a jellyfish ballgown made? :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#73 Post by Bunnylump » Sun May 05, 2019 10:58 pm

Line of Duty!!

Thoughts? Did you all work out who H was, and spot the dodgy cop? I did! :D

LAT
Nagging Nora

#74 Post by LAT » Mon May 06, 2019 8:52 am

Please don't discuss this! :o
We have recorded it to watch after we have worked our way through series 1 to 4 - currently got final episode of series 2 to watch.
We're finding it hard enough to avoid discussion of it on the radio/internet :roll: I don't want to add Puzzlebrains to websites to avoid!

LAT
Nagging Nora

#75 Post by LAT » Tue May 07, 2019 11:29 am

On a different note, has anyone watched Planet Child? It's really interesting- well we think so anyway. That little Japanese boy who travels across Tokyo on his own every day! :shock:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#76 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:45 pm

Has anyone watched much of Glastonbury? I'm working my way through the bits I missed at the weekend on iplayer. Currently watching Christine and the Queens. She takes my breath away, how can anyone sing so tunefully whilst leaping about and contorting their body like that? :o

SparkOut
International Man of Mystery

#77 Post by SparkOut » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:52 pm

I haven't watched any. Though I made several travels back and forwards past the tv when Kylie was on (not sure why it happened to be). I don't have words to say how awful it was.

LAT
Nagging Nora

#78 Post by LAT » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:54 pm

I've watched bits but I missed Christine (and her Queens). Maybe I should try catch-up?

We've just been watching Family Brain Games which had some interesting challenges. Some of the kids were particularly impressive.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#79 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:06 pm

Oh, goodness, I avoided Kylie like the plague. She never has been able to sing! I also thought The Cure were a bit average (and difficult to watch because of having to look at Robert Smith's plastering on his face.) I'm going to catch up on Vampire Weekend next... :D

I watched quite a few of Family Brain Games, and agree that some of those kids are REALLY clever. But equally, some of them are SO obnoxious, and I think will have difficulty when they grow into adults unless they tone it down a bit! The worst was that dreadful Amelia (?) - the violin playing one. She seemed utterly unable to cope unless she got everything right and it was all going her way. What a giant disappointment life is going to be for that young lady! :roll: I quite liked some of the games, though (the word ones, obviously!)

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#80 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:56 pm

Just watching an old episode of Endeavour and chuckling (again) about the names of the people in the village. Michael Murphy the Baker, Mr Carraway the Fishmonger, Mr. Clamp the greengrocer, Lord Bellborough...

Sound familiar? :lol: