2013 Meet

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

2013 Meet

#1 Post by MBH » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:21 pm

I KNOW it's early to start this thread, but I'm floating ideas that may never come to reality.

An unlucky combination of Maisie the Greyhound (who is wonderful) and the villiage of Greenside being overrun with dangerous dogs and bad owner (which is FAR from wonderful) means I'm needed to drive her to our chosen 'safe place' each morning to walk her - along the banks of the River Tyne in the business park.

This does mean that I'm now unable to go anywhere that I can't do in a day, and overnight stops are virtually impossible :cry: (for the next 'x' years :( )

So a suggestions has been made [once or twice.... at least :lol: ] that I have a get-together up here and drag you all 'Up North'.

Having enjoyed the hospitality and seen the hard work of other forum members across the country, I know I can't compete on time or money - but I've been told I don't need to.

There are a couple of puzzles in this area that are just BEGGING to be written, and it would be an interesting challenge to see if I could give you something local to look at, learn from, and enjoy here in Newcastle and Gateshead.

I'm not looking for dates, times, committments, or anything else - just floating the idea.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

Re: 2013 Meet

#2 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:27 pm

Well, I'd be up for that, obviously term time is very tricky for me, but if it was a weekend (not including a Monday but I could do Friday) or during school holidays the world is my oyster. When I came up to Northumberland (and failed to meet you!! :( ) I never did actually get to Newcastle itself (just skirted round the edge on our way to Alnwick) and I would love to see it.

So do shout if you think you might be able to organise something - and don't feel you HAVE to organise anything activity-wise if you don't have time (although I like the idea of your puzzles!) I'm sure there is plenty to see and do to keep us occupied. :D It would certainly be lovely to see you (and everyone else) again. :D
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

giraffe
Twigi

#3 Post by giraffe » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:55 pm

This might be helpful. The one we did in Bourton was very good for taking us to bits we would have missed otherwise.

http://www.treasuretrails.co.uk/northum ... to-do.html

I might be a fairly frequent visitor to your area from September next year, due to K having an offer from Durham University, and it being her top choice at the moment.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#4 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:07 pm

That's a good point, Giraffe. That one was quite cheap (can't remember now, only a few quid) and it involved me in no planning whatsoever. :lol: All I needed to do was to remember to bring it along.

I did enjoy making the puzzles with LAT for the Ashridge meet-up but I must say it took far more time than it ought to have done for us to produce it. And if I'm honest, I really did worry that everyone might have hated it / thought it was really stupid / it might rain and then not work, so I couldn't really relax at all for the day. Yes, I know I'm manic at the best of times, before you start laughing at me, but even I was surprised how much time even that small amount of organisation took. I don't know how Gill did it all on her own when we went to Withernsea, especially with all the cooking!!

giraffe
Twigi

#5 Post by giraffe » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:13 pm

The treasure trail one was also a walking tour, which is an advantage as it frees up the drivers to join in with the puzzles. I never mind driving, but at the Hertfordshire meet I didn't feel I got to see any of the puzzles as they were being solved as we drove from one venue to the next. I still had a good time, but the other trail does eliminate that. We didn't manage to solve the Bourton trail, as some of the clues were a bit obscure, but that didn't seem to matter.

I think the cost is £6

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:42 pm

Well, that was one of the reasons we had the first walking part of the puzzles (round the lake), the trouble was that with that AND the driving part (so we could see more of the area) it all took too long and the last bit was all very rushed. It's really hard to get it right. In a lot of ways I actually enjoyed the Bourton on the Water thing more because it was all a bit more spontaneous, and I really didn't care if we didn't finish (or even start!) the trail. :lol: Mooching about is quite good, but it is also nice to have something a bit more structured available as well. I know you lot weren't all there, but I also really liked going to visit the Rollwright Stones on the spur of the moment with Scurra on our way back. :D

So I think what I'm saying, MBH, is if you do go ahead with this idea, yes, sort of walking / exploring type puzzles are good because you also get to see the area, and I'm sure you could come up with something really fun. But don't feel you have to (I know how precious your time is!) as we could just order one of these and use it if we feel like it. Alternatively, a wander round the sights of Geordieland and lots of chatting / catching up, bit like we did in Eynsham also suits me fine. :D

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#7 Post by clvrlad » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:59 pm

and dont forget some other forum members aren't that far away
im sure i can help out a bit ;-)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:06 pm

There you go, sorted. :D Well volunteered, Clvrlad. :lol: You do realise that you have to follow the Wilby model though, with roast chicken and home made scones, don't you??? :mrgreen:

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#9 Post by Scurra » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:13 pm

One thing worth throwing in at this point is that Gill has suggested that we try to have some sort of get-together when one of the SUMS/MUMS etc hunts is happening, simply because face-to-face solving is more fun. :) And the Withernsea meet worked out pretty well for that.
However, as we don't know when any of then are going to be next year yet, that makes scheduling something like that a little trickier. But it's a possibility to consider - quite apart from any "non-puzzling" meetup!
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

giraffe
Twigi

#10 Post by giraffe » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:14 pm

The tin dog is a keen cook I seem to recollect. ;)

giraffe
Twigi

#11 Post by giraffe » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:14 pm

However, as we don't know when any of then are going to be next year yet, that makes scheduling something like that a little trickier. But it's a possibility to consider - quite apart from any "non-puzzling" meetup!
The other trouble with that is that they start on a Monday, and we tend to have weekend meets

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#12 Post by Scurra » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:17 pm

Yes, I realise that. It doesn't necessarily make it impossible though.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#13 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:21 pm

I definitely couldn't do that unless they were in school holidays. And if I'm honest, I'm not sure I could sit still for long enough, so I would just annoy people by talking about other things and wanting to go out. I know I'm really annoying in that respect, so I think I would probably pass on this, if only for self preservation reasons. :lol:

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#14 Post by clvrlad » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:39 pm

Bunnylump wrote:I know I'm really annoying
i dont really need to add anything :-D
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#15 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:06 pm

No, I wouldn't if I were you. It could result in me marching up north with a toolbox...

giraffe
Twigi

#16 Post by giraffe » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:18 pm

Or a tinopener? :lol:

MBH
King of the Swingers

#17 Post by MBH » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:23 pm

clvrlad wrote:
Bunnylump wrote:I know I'm really annoying
i dont really need to add anything :-D
[SLAP] {Pinggggg} :lol:

Bunnylump wrote:So I think what I'm saying, MBH, is if you do go ahead with this idea, yes, sort of walking / exploring type puzzles are good because you also get to see the area, and I'm sure you could come up with something really fun. But don't feel you have to.
The annoying thing is it's 80% written in my brain (well - the walking puzzle is), but I would need to get it down on paper and prove it works. :roll:

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#18 Post by gill216 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:26 pm

Do I get unfair advantage :D
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

MBH
King of the Swingers

#19 Post by MBH » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:31 pm

:lol: I doubt it. I'm thinking of some tasks to do along the way as well (with photographic evidence) ;)

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#20 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:01 pm

:shock: Well as long as there is no dancing widdershins skyclad involved then that's all good. :lol: