IT project

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
kingsley

IT project

#1 Post by kingsley » Tue May 05, 2009 5:50 pm

I'm doing an IT project at school (something called a DiDA) and I need some photos. The only problem is that we need permission for any pictures that are not our own, so that rules out the internet because most people don't reply to emails.

The scenario for the project is a group of foreign students are coming over and we need to 'organise' some trips for them to go on by using a variety of IT skills. I'm currently working on a leaflet welcoming these students and need some photos of the places they are 'going'. I wondered if anyone has any photos of the following places:

Cadbury World
Warwick Castle
Alton Towers
Blackpool Sealife Centre

I might possibly be able to get a picture for Warwick castle and Alton Towers at school off a friend (although the one of Warwick Castle has a little brother as the focus of the photo).

Also, Scurra, is there a place on the internet where you get copyright-free photos for the magazines. I might be able to legally get photos from a place like that.

SparkOut
International Man of Mystery

Re: IT project

#2 Post by SparkOut » Tue May 05, 2009 6:24 pm

The first (if rather limited) source might be wikipedia - if you see an image in wikipedia's pages and click on it to expand, you will usually find the larger resolution image, which shows the licence details relating to the image, most of which on wikipedia are one of the Creative Commons flavours. You should find that as long as the image is attributed as specified in the terms, that you can use it free of charge.

kingsley

#3 Post by kingsley » Tue May 05, 2009 6:29 pm

Hmmm, I will need to ask my teacher, but I think she might have said no to wikipedia. If they're not copyrighted though, I see no reason why we can't use them.

SparkOut

#4 Post by SparkOut » Tue May 05, 2009 6:50 pm

Example:
This image, found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nemes ... G_roll.jpg was submitted to Wikipedia by the author Cls With Attitude as the copyright holder, for which the following alternative licence terms may be used:
Cls With Attitude wrote:I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby publish it under the following licenses:

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts.
You may select the license of your choice.
So in essence, this image can be used freely, as long as you give proper attribution to the source/copyright owner.

On the other hand, your teacher probably doesn't want everyone to hand in projects with exactly the same pictures, so finding other good sources of pictures would be very beneficial.
I have some royalty free images from Adobe Creative Suite, if I can find the disc I will belt it up and let you know if there are any useful ones.
Last edited by SparkOut on Tue May 05, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingsley

#5 Post by kingsley » Tue May 05, 2009 6:53 pm

OK, thank you. I will bring up the topic with her in the lesson tomorrow.

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#6 Post by Scurra » Tue May 05, 2009 7:56 pm

I start at Flickr but use this search to begin with:

http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/by-sa-2.0/

...which are under the example that SparkOut cites - as long as you credit the original photographer and say that they are under the CC licence it's OK.

Sometimes I use wikipedia pictures but only when the originator has specifically put them into the public domain.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

giraffe
Twigi

#7 Post by giraffe » Tue May 05, 2009 8:01 pm

So if we put "green and yellow building" into that will it help?

[Sorry Kingsley didn't mean to hijack your serious homework thread]

maisie ladybird

#8 Post by maisie ladybird » Tue May 05, 2009 8:07 pm

I had the same thought Giraffe, no such luck!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#9 Post by Bunnylump » Tue May 05, 2009 9:13 pm

No, sorry, no photos of those places. I have just taken a cracking picture of Bodium Castle...

Do you know what? I'm SURE the Fraggle had some pictures of Warwick Castle though (she sent me some of the spooky ones by e mail). If you ask her if it's ok first, I think I've still got them lurking somewhere in my in box.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#10 Post by clvrlad » Tue May 05, 2009 11:03 pm

ill make one point from when i did projects at high school...

write to them using snail mail to their public relations branch and you will get loads of info (mostly useless ;-) ) and possibly permission on a selection of photos ;-)

youll find that they are will respond better to a nicely worded letter explaining briefly you school project and requesting their help will get surprising results....

i remember getting about three a4 refill pads worth of stuff from British rail.....
:-D
as much as this sounds like heresy the internet isn't always the answer ;-)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

giraffe
Twigi

#11 Post by giraffe » Wed May 06, 2009 9:18 am

I think the problem is timescale. They have tight deadlines and the snail might not bring it in time ;) but I agree with the general point, a book is worth hours on the internet, but having the right book is the problem.

SparkOut

#12 Post by SparkOut » Wed May 06, 2009 10:02 am

Or the right disc. Useless. Not anything that even remotely looks like a castle or a roller coaster. Would a beach with clear tropical waters do? It doesn't much look like the waters at Blackpool... :roll:

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#13 Post by Scurra » Wed May 06, 2009 10:24 am

I have a lovely picture of Alton Towers. It was taken in about 1979, so it might be a little bit out-of-date :lol:
(I think I still have my certificate saying I was one of the first people to ride the Corkscrew, which was dismantled last year for being "too boring". Yeah, right.)
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#14 Post by MBH » Wed May 06, 2009 10:47 am

Hmmmm - rides corkscrews.... I wonder what THAT explains? :twisted:

giraffe
Twigi

#15 Post by giraffe » Wed May 06, 2009 10:48 am

I only went twice to Alton towers, 1973 was probably the last time. The helter skelter was the height of excitement then. :lol:

Wulfruna

#16 Post by Wulfruna » Wed May 06, 2009 11:56 am

MBH wrote:Hmmmm - rides corkscrews.... I wonder what THAT explains? :twisted:
ok....you can blame me for taking him there in the first place..... :shock: