Music

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

Music

#1 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:43 pm

Yes, it's me again. Starting up YET another thread, but let's face it, it's long overdue.

I'm thinking let us know what you're listening to, what you've found that's worth a listen, information on concerts etc.! Or just observations about music, like this.

I'm just listening to the new MUSE single-United States Of Eurasia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKxN4JyGtoE

Wow, just EVERSO SLIGHTLY like Queen!! What do you think?

I'm quite liking it.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

Re: Music

#2 Post by eirian » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:05 pm

I'll have a listen, I do rather like Queen after all.
Mostly at the moment I'm listening to Classic FM. This is something I swore I would never do when it first appeared, and still frustrates me for the reason I had then - I like listening to whole pieces of music, not just stray movements, but it's just about the right level of music for me first thing in the morning when I just want some background music - and of course, its introducing Thomas to the decent stuff. Pity I don't have the opportunity to brainwash him into liking classical music like Wulf did with me - the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra used to rehearse downstairs from where we lived and I was regularly taken to sit in at the age of 1!!
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

SparkOut
International Man of Mystery

#3 Post by SparkOut » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:19 pm

It's not bad at all, very like Queen in many ways, a bit of Zep thrown in for good measure. It does sounds a bit like they're taking their "message" in the lyrics a bit too seriously though and putting it in a "we like this sort of music so probably everyone else will" wrapper. I "quite like it" too, for all that. I don't think they will ever match Queen - but then, I'm pretty sure that's not what they intend anyway.

Pure nostalgia, this: I just got a bunch of stuff out of storage and Wire Train (this one is "The Last Perfect Thing") was amongst it.

I never realised they made any videos ever - trying hard to see past the 80's cheese, but the music really brings me back.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#4 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:59 pm

Thanks for that. I enjoyed that very much.

But now the burning question in my mind (yes, I am that shallow) is did you have a hair cut like that? I had the girl's version!! :lol:

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#5 Post by Scurra » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:29 am

There was a whole article in The Guardian today about Muse using Chopin in that piece (which, bizarrely, I discovered yesterday entirely independently), which talks about what sort of classical music would be a good "next step" for people who quite liked it.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/ju ... usic-guide

For my utterly mad recommendation? http://www.escradio.com/ is an internet streaming radio station that plays nothing but... Eurovision Song Contest entries. I listen to it for about an hour every week and I'm continually surprised by the fact that there are almost always one or two utterly brilliant songs, albeit largely buried amongst the endless middle-European pop.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:35 am

You NEVER cease to amaze me. :lol:

brian

#7 Post by brian » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:09 pm

How did I know that Scurra read the Guardian?? (Spelling mistakes and all)

My favourite piece of music is the Wagner Ride of the Valkyries, which is the most amazing bit of orchestration ever.

In case you all have forgotten it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V92OBNsQgxU

And of course, you can listen to my classical favourites on 94.4fm or on line www.salfordcityradio.org on Sundays between 9.00 and 10.00
(All prerecorded at present as I can't get in to do a fresh show with this lump of plaster round my ankle)

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:08 am

Yes, that is very fine. When you're back on air Brian, let us know. I must confess to never having quite made it getting up by that time on a Sunday, but one day... :lol:

Oh, and Scurra, I re read what I said (above) and it sounded a bit scathing. It wasn't meant to. I was just amazed that you'd bother to listen to lots of stuff you didn't like in order to NOT miss the good bits!! I call that true dedication!! :lol:

Now if we're talking classical, if I really want to relax, there's nothing quite like a bit of Debussy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlvUepMa31o.

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#9 Post by Scurra » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:12 am

But Bunny - how would you ever find things you didn't know you were going to like if you didn't put up with terrible stuff as well?
I think I mentioned that I subscribe to Duke Ellington's theory: there are only two sorts of music - Good Music and Bad Music... and the fun part is that we all disagree about which is which. I am willing to listen to a certain amount of Bad Music (and there is very little that is totally irredeemable!) in order to find the unexpectedly Good, especially when I am uncertain what will turn out to be Good at the outset.

That's why The Proms are so important - you tune in to hear the stuff you know you are going to like, and with a bit of luck you will find something you didn't know about but rather like as well. I usually find two or three things every year that way.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#10 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:24 am

I only caught a bit of the proms this year. And to my amazement there was a girl I went to school with introducing it!! :D

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#11 Post by Scurra » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:32 am

They've hardly started, you know! Tomorrow's is #14 out of 76 concerts (and I'm not sure that counts all of the "side events".)

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#12 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:45 am

Sorry I meant "I've..."

...yes I know they're still going on and intend to watch more.

eirian

#13 Post by eirian » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:44 am

brian wrote:And of course, you can listen to my classical favourites on 94.4fm or on line http://www.salfordcityradio.org on Sundays between 9.00 and 10.00
(All prerecorded at present as I can't get in to do a fresh show with this lump of plaster round my ankle)
well, Thomas loved dancing to Nutcracker, although I didn't get to hear what the percusion piece was earlier as he was objecting to my having stopped moving him to it! (wish I was fitter - don't have the muscles to swing him in the air for more than 5 mins at a time!) Not sure that trying to get him to sleep to the Ode to Joy was my best idea though!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#14 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:20 pm

I just knew my son was going to be musical. When I listened to music when I was pregnant he used to leap about inside my tummy in time to the music!! :lol: (He's got his Dad's sense of rhythm too)!

Laura

#15 Post by Laura » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:27 pm

Moving slightly off topic here, but I wasn't sure where to put this particular query.

My sister and brother-in-law have been here this weekend, and it was the brother-in-law's birthday. Imagine my surprise when two of his presents were CDs by a band named Sigur Ros! So is our Sigur Ros one of them, or is the username inspired by the band, or is it just a big coincidence?

eirian

#16 Post by eirian » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:19 pm

user name inspired by the band I'm afraid. Wouldn't it be fun if he was one of them? But then, I believe they are Icelandic or some such (don't actually know that much about them, but that's probably because I make him listen to them on his headphones! :lol: )

Cenwulf
The Complete Fool
Currently reading: Schott's Miscellanies

#17 Post by Cenwulf » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: The Proms.
I watched it yesterday for a piece I like very much: Holst's The Planets.
I'll probably tune in next week as well, as it's all music from MGM films.
Unfortunately, the number of ways of doing something wrong far exceed the number of ways of doing it right. G. Kasparov

16000 - 30/03/2017

neves-ytnewt rebmun rebmem suomynona srelzzup

Wulfruna

#18 Post by Wulfruna » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:07 am

Cenwulf wrote:Re: The Proms.
I watched it yesterday for a piece I like very much: Holst's The Planets.
Yes, this was a real highlight - a superb performance. But then, the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra is my favourite orchestra.... It is one of the things we most miss now that we have moved away from Manchester, where the BBC Phil is based. We used to go regularly to their concerts - in preference even to the Hallé - and enjoyed some fantastic music. As Scurra rightly says, this is also a good way of discovering some amazing new stuff as well, played alongside the more familiar pieces.
As for the Proms - a lot more of the concerts are also being broadcast on TV on BBC 4 - so it is worth keeping an eye on that.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#19 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:44 pm

Watching Kings Of Leon on TV BBC 3.They're really good live. :D

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#20 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:10 pm

Anyone else enjoying Radiohead at Reading at the moment?