Word Zendo

For puzzles and games created by members.
SparkOut
International Man of Mystery

Word Zendo

#1 Post by SparkOut » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:19 am

This idea is taken from the game Zendo: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zendo_%28game%29

For the forum, the format will be that the "Master" will lead the "students" towards nirvana, having the ear of the "Buddha", and reporting from the enlightened one a pair of words, one which is deemed to have the Buddha nature, and one which is not. Students will attempt to determine the rule of what constitutes the Buddha nature by means of suggestion of a pair of words, one of which is held as an example of a word which matches the rule, and one which doesn't.

For example, if the Buddha has determined the rule of worthiness to be only for words which begin with a letter in the first half of the alphabet and which end with a letter from the second half, the Master may report that the Buddha advises students to remember that a carrot is a flavoursome and nutritious vegetable, while a cabbage is not appreciated, being a smelly and foul-tasting food. Students may then attempt to determine the nature of the Buddha words, by making their own suggestions as to a pair of words, one of which is an example which adheres to the rule, and one which doesn't. A student who correctly suggests a pair of words which are held to show correctly the value of the Buddha nature and not, will earn the right to make a prediction as to the rule. If the student is correct in his or her prediction, then the student will take over the mantle of the Master and begin another teaching session, passing on new wisdom from the Buddha with examples of a another rule. The Master will respond to each pair of suggestions with the wisdom passed down from the Buddha, advising which words have the Buddha nature and which do not. From time to time, the Master may also provide other words which the Buddha has pronounced worthy or unworthy of the way, on such occasions as determined by the Buddha to be appropriate for the teachings of his students.

It should be remembered that students are attempting to discern the rule by means of comparison, and that in order to earn the right to pronounce the nature of the Buddha words, he or she must make it clear which are the words in question, and also which of them is held to be worthy, and which of them fails to meet the rule of the Buddha nature. Any means are acceptable to draw attention to which is which, as long as it is made clear to the current Master or Mistress. Formatting the words in colour (eg green and red) is helpful, but so long as they are identified appropriately then that would be valid, for example in the above situation the student may enquire whether a "carrot" is appreciated, whereas a "cabbage" is not. It would not be sufficient merely to ask if the Buddha approves of a "carrot" or a "cabbage". If the current Master or Mistress is unable to determine which words are intended as being worthy and unworthy of the Buddha nature will report the outcome as usual, but the student who offered such words without enough explicit information for the Master/Mistress will unfortunately not earn the right to make pronunciation of the Buddha nature with that attempt.

The current Master or Mistress should employ reasonable common-sense in indentifying what is offered by the students and held to be worthy and unworthy. When faced with two words highlighted in different colours, a basic convention of using "green-ish" and "red-ish", for example, would be perfectly indicative of the intention of the student. Using the same colour to highlight both words would not. Phrasing one's enquiry to cast one of the words in a "positive" light, versus another word pitched with a slightly "negative" tone (cf flavoursome and nutritious vs smelly and foul-tasting regarding the carrot and cabbage above) is also an appropriate distinction. Merely asking if the Buddha approves of one or the other is not. Nobody should be penalised for not being able to format words in colour, or for not making any other use of the forum code tags.

The rules will have nothing to do with the meanings * or pronunciation of the words, or with capitalisation.** Only the standard 26 letters of the English alphabet should be used. Extra kudos may be given for students addressing the Master with due respect and humble parlance, but is not a requisite for determining the rule.

* except in the case of certain rules such as that noted in http://www.puzzlebrains.co.uk/forum/vie ... 1094#p1094 which do not appear to be different words, but the meaning actually determines the structure and affects the rule.

** except in the case of certain rules as determined by the current Master or Mistress which should be explicitly stated at the outset of the new teaching session. For example in this game http://www.puzzlebrains.co.uk/forum/vie ... p=447#p447 a "p" has a descender below the baseline, while a capital "P" does not, which caused a special case to be generated.

For clarity, the current Master or Mistress should maintain a list of the worthy and unworthy words, as well as those students who have currently the right to attempt a declaration of the Buddha nature. When a new page is begun, the Master or Mistress should post the up to date list on the new page, preferably as near the top as possible, to save students hunting back through the forum for previously used words to compare.

The Buddha is patient but does not like to be pestered. One or two enquiries are happily entertained, perhaps a third with no displeasure. A student should wait for instruction before guessing too many times, however - although if they are not guesses, and the student wishes to draw attention to the fact that he or she may have found the way, then additional zeal will be happily indulged. Any number of students may individually seek simultaneous guidance - a student need not wait for another to receive his or her instruction before requesting consideration of his or her own submission.

As the first Master, I may advise that the way to enlightenment is tricky. While the path may show a little promise if it loops, that way is not true. A student should seek the pattern of the words in order to find the correct way. (I should also say that the Enlightened One informs that it is not necessary for Scurra to ask of the nature of apples and bananas in this teaching session, as the former are definitely worthy, but the latter are just curved, yellow, squishy things.)

Buddhalicious
accomplish accountant apples attempt bookkepper correct dropping giraffes hallo happy intelligent Mall ninny off paddles pattern puzzles riddles success suggest Wessex

Buddhafingers
bananas Bazaar brainbox choose cool elephants failure fool groovy hejsa helpful loops Northumbria oars seems sleep vacuum

Buddha buddies
Bunnylump (x2)
Cenwulf (x2)
giraffe (x2)
Laura
Scurra (x3)

another page wrote:to select colours, the simplest way is to highlight the words required, and then to wait for a moment so that the forum software catches up before clicking one of the coloured squares in the pane on the right. If the mouse pointer changes to a finger when it is over a coloured square, then it should work. I have noticed that if one selects the text and then clicks a coloured square too quickly, then it either ignores it or gives the wrong result, so it seems you may well have some tag codes in your message which do not each have a matching opening or closing tag to make a pair.

The more technical way is to note that just as one can use tags to show italics or bold, that the tags for colouring an item can be directly typed in, and are of the form:

[color=#0000FF] before the text to be coloured (the actual "number" indicates which colour to use), and [/color] immediately afterwards, to tell the browser to stop colouring. When you want to stop the colourisation, it is only necessary for there to be a "stop colouring" tag [/color] in order for the browser to switch back to the default text colour. You do not have to specify that everything should be coloured in (say) black to stop getting the red (or blue, or whatever colour you chose).

Please note the Americanised spelling of the word "color" and, if you prefer an anorak to an acolyte's robe, the colour code is made up of three "RGB" sections, which follow the # symbol to indicate that it's a number format (in hexadecimal digits). The first two digits in hexadecimal tell how much Red should be included in the colour mix. The next two digits say how much Green should be included and the last two digits say how much Blue. So the code #0000FF means, zero red, zero green, and as much blue as you can get. #FF0000 means all red and nothing else. Black would be #000000 and white would be #FFFFFF.
Last edited by SparkOut on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:05 pm, edited 21 times in total.

Scurra
Alias the Jester

Re: Word Zendo

#2 Post by Scurra » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:43 am

This humble student greets the honourable Master and looks forward to learning at his feet (mostly he learns that the Master should definitely change his socks more often.)

Would the Master accept this small offering of puzzles, or would he prefer some riddles?
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

SparkOut

#3 Post by SparkOut » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:23 am

The Buddha smiles on the words of his disciple, for he is most pleased with both puzzles and riddles. For the benefit of other students he tells me to remind everyone that as well as seeking the words of the Buddha nature, for every one that you suggest as worthy, you must also show a word that in comparison is found to be lacking, in order to earn a right to seek the mantle of the Master.

giraffe
Twigi

#4 Post by giraffe » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:02 pm

Greetings, master. Can I most respectfully ask you to explain
Buddhalicious
apples pattern puzzles riddles

Buddhafingers
bananas loops

Buddha buddies
nobody yet
As you completely lost this humble servant. You greatness seems to like the first group, but not the second, but where do the third group figure?

SparkOut

#5 Post by SparkOut » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:26 pm

Of course, dear student. Those lines are just to keep track of the good, the unwanted, and the worthy students as the lesson progresses.

The Buddhalicious are the words favoured by the enlightened one.

The Buddhafingers are the words dropped as unwanted by the one who passes down our lessons.

The Buddha buddies are those students who have demonstrated a pair of words, correctly suggesting that one meets the rule, and one doesn't. When a student has earned the right to make a prediction as to the criteria for the Buddha nature of a word, then his or her name will be indicated. (Upon earning that right, it is not obligatory to make a prediction at once and so the students who may have the potential to take over the Master's mantle will be listed here too.)

Laura

#6 Post by Laura » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:15 pm

Dear Buddah,
I think you're really groovy, and cool, but I'm not sure you'd like me to call you either of those things. Instead, I'll suggest intelligent.

I also hope I'm wrong, as I'm not entirely certain what I'd have to do if I were right.

giraffe
Twigi

#7 Post by giraffe » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:16 pm

Can I suggest that you might look favourably on paddles, but not on oars?

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#8 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:26 pm

Greetings, oh wise Master. May I venture the idea that to suggest is correct, whereas to choose is the work of a fool??
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

SparkOut

#9 Post by SparkOut » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:41 pm

As Master (temporarily) I am pleased with all of the recent students, and happy to report the news from the Enlightened One that he appreciates the worthiness of being intelligent over the shallowness of being groovy or cool. When he drifts on the River of Life, he steers with gentle strokes of the paddles and never tires himself with pulling on the oars. And with Bunnylump the Buddha is especially pleased, as her suggestion that it is correct to suggest is correct, and she shows herself to be no fool in her choice of the unworthy words fool and choose.

All of you have earned a chance to reveal the rule of this teaching session, and Bunnylump will have a second chance if the first fails.

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#10 Post by Scurra » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:12 pm

I am sure that the Master must be tired after being pestered by so many eager students. Although I'm sure he wouldn't be satisfied with merely going to sleep, might he be happier dropping off instead?
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

SparkOut

#11 Post by SparkOut » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:05 pm

The student seems to recognise that the Buddha apparently finds dropping off for a quick nap to be the way of enlightenment. Despite the restful benefits that sleep may provide, the lazy slugabed will not find the path to nirvana.
You are a worthy student Scurra, and may also seek to take the mantle and staff to lead us in new teachings, should you wish.

giraffe
Twigi

#12 Post by giraffe » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:22 am

Can I suggest that with adding up all the correct scores he might be happier to be described as an accountant than a bookkeeper?
Last edited by giraffe on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#13 Post by Scurra » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:46 pm

And I would just like to check that, while the Master may not like to vacuum in a Bazaar, he would be perfectly happy to clean up a Mall?

giraffe
Twigi

#14 Post by giraffe » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:10 pm

Would this student be right in suggesting that the master looks favourably on giraffes but is offended by the unreasonably long noses of elephants?

SparkOut

#15 Post by SparkOut » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:46 pm

Well, I am pleased to see the eagerness of students, and for the benefit of our giraffe, I can report that surprisingly the Buddha seems to be a bit of a bean-counter, and approves of both an accountant and a bookkeeper. The Enlightened One does have a special opinion of giraffes however, so do not feel shunned. He loves the beauty and grace of the long neck, but the wiggling of the long noses on elephants is found unappealing.
Student Scurra is correct twice more, and has found that the Buddha is happy to be happy as long as he is not forced to use the vacuum, and while he appreciates browsing and haggling, he much prefers the modern comforts of a Mall to the din and clamour of a Bazaar.

SparkOut

#16 Post by SparkOut » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:00 pm

Do any of the Buddha Buddy students wish to propose the nature of the Buddha words? Our guide on the path bids me to say that his first lesson is quite simple, even a ninny can easily accomplish the task. Being a brainbox is not required, and not even helpful.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#17 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:24 pm

Worshipful master, I hope I have learned a valuable lesson. However, I am unsure how to check my understanding. Should it be through private message thought transference, or before the other students, so that they may learn from my errors? :|

SparkOut

#18 Post by SparkOut » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:03 pm

Dear student, you have earned the right to speak your prediction as to the rule which the Buddha has chosen for our lesson this time. Pray tell us in this forum what you believe to be the nature of the Buddha words. If you are correct, we will follow your teachings in the next session, as you take the staff and mantle of the Master. If incorrect, we shall all learn from your attempt, and if that is the case, you should not be disheartened - after all, you would still have another chance in hand. Of course, I am told that an attempt may be worthy of success, and that while failure is not desirable, it may not be as bad as it seems.

Cenwulf
The Complete Fool
Currently reading: Schott's Miscellanies

#19 Post by Cenwulf » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:32 pm

I feel I shud give a more formal greetin' of hallo rather than me rather casual preference of hejsa.
And wud this humble student be appreciated fer bein' an admirable inhabitant of Wessex rather than bein' a miserable mucker from Northumbria?
Unfortunately, the number of ways of doing something wrong far exceed the number of ways of doing it right. G. Kasparov

16000 - 30/03/2017

neves-ytnewt rebmun rebmem suomynona srelzzup

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#20 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:03 pm

Thank you, Master, for the trust which you have bestowed upon me; I accept your challenge graciously. I believe that the teachings have tempted me towards the righteous path of enlightenment. My humble conclusion is thus: to progress toward Nirvana, I must use words with their power reinforced doubly by the use of two consecutive consonants: {*to be correct will be fullsome but to be wrong will require further learning*}

*EDITED, following the observation below... {:to be correct will cause my cup to be full, however, to be wrong will cause my cup to seem empty.}
Last edited by Bunnylump on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.