Cookies legal notice *** PLEASE READ ***

Messages to the Puzzlebrains community.
Scurra
Alias the Jester

Cookies legal notice *** PLEASE READ ***

#1 Post by Scurra » Wed May 30, 2012 12:29 pm

This forum is a web site, within the meaning of EU law, which now requires that all sites that use "cookies" inform their users of this and obtain their consent. And this site uses cookies. As such, it is governed by regulations set forth by the Information Commissioner's Office.

So what is a "cookie" then? Well, a cookie is just a jargon term for a little bit of information that is stored by the site to make your use of the forum more pleasant. For instance, if you tick the little button that says "log me in automatically", then that is using a cookie to track that you have asked for this feature. On a slightly larger scale, it is also how the site knows which messages have been newly posted since your last visit and marks them for you (although this is partly done by a database as well.)

This site does not use cookies to gather information about your browsing habits, or to direct advertisements at you. At least not yet. If someone offers me lots of money in the future to do this, then it might change. But not without everyone being told first. :)

Informed consent: In order to avoid asking you every time you come here, this site uses the principle of "informed consent". If you use this forum and attempt to post comments, you are presumed to have given consent to the use of cookies for those purposes (and only those). Any other use should not be considered normal - indeed if you get any warning messages about other cookies for any reason, it may be worth dropping me a PM.

Quick summary: There is nothing you need to worry about - we just need to make sure that everyone is told this in order to comply with the law. Thank you for your attention.