Forum "hacked" - puzzles offiline

Messages to the Puzzlebrains community.
Scurra
Alias the Jester

Forum "hacked" - puzzles offiline

#1 Post by Scurra » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:53 pm

It looks as though this forum was broken into a couple of days ago, and various links have been changed - the key ones being "view new posts" and "view your posts". Fortunately, they don't go anywhere, except to Google, but once they have been activated, they seem to break most of the other links. (I think the cookies are being changed although I'm not certain.)

I will be running various system checks over the weekend, so the site may be unavailable at times.
There should be nothing for you to worry about however; you don't have to change your passwords or anything like that.

Sorry about this.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Scurra
Alias the Jester

Re: Forum "hacked"

#2 Post by Scurra » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:12 pm

Fingers crossed that the problem has been solved now.

You don't need to change anything (passwords etc.) as the problem was at a "higher level" (it affected the whole site, not just the forum.) But I will need to do other work to patch up the hole that still exists, and this will have some effects on accessing the puzzle site, although not the forum.

Sorry for all the inconvenience and thank you to the people who drew my attention to the problem in the first place, even if it took a while to discover exactly what was causing it.

edit: and a request that if you find it behaving like this again, then please let me know straight away!
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Scurra
Alias the Jester

Re: Forum "hacked"

#3 Post by Scurra » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:13 pm

Further to this: the puzzles are currently not accessible. I am uncertain when they will be available again. I will attempt to get the most recent set working asap but older puzzles may be offline until the new year.

Scurra
Alias the Jester

Re: Forum "hacked" - puzzles offiline

#4 Post by Scurra » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:31 pm

The server seems to be having some serious issues at the moment.
You may find access to the site comes and goes. Sorry about this.