Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
katsmom

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#761 Post by katsmom » Thu May 07, 2009 2:30 am

Trying to sort out my summer teaching schedule. We have to givethe Uni 100 hours of time from May to August. I'm going to a conference the first week of June, and was pretty flexible for the rest of it. My timetabling form said I'll teach anytime except the first week of June. When do they schedule me for? The first week of June :shock: It wouldn't be so bad, but myleave had been approved back in March, I've already paid all the money, and I enjoy conferences!

Forgive me for my moaning posts about the London underground yesterday. I was feeling mighty angry, and just a bit sorry for myself.

Have a wonderful trip Wulfruna, and I hope the kids feel better SparkOut and Bunny.

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#762 Post by eirian » Fri May 08, 2009 8:58 pm

today Wulfruna has mostly bin.... cuddling (she is at the moment downstairs while I'm supposed to be having a sleep to catch up ready for another sleepless night, but I've not been online for a while so thought I'd catch up - this is restful as well, after all!).
We've also been getting his tongue tie sorted (a little flap of tendon that catches the front of his tongue to the base of his mouth, just a quick snip with some scissors at the hospital - really easy and doesn't hurt, but will make a difference to the feeding). He's being really good, except when he just won't settle overnight. How come he has no difficulty going to sleep during the day, but fusses all night??? lol (I suspect it's just that his cries sound much louder at night and we keep giving in and giving him a cuddle instead of letting him cry and fall asleep himself - but how am I supposed to resist giving him a cuddle???)

Wulfruna has also been working on some puzzles so I suspect will be back on here posting as soon as either we let her have access to one of our PCs (tricky since the laptop doesn't have much battery power and the cables are tangled up in our bedroom), or she gets home tomorrow. I have yet to have a look at any more puzzles, having solved Paddington and Barbican last week before things got a little more busy! I have been able to read however - I have to have something to do when he falls asleep on me and I haven't the heart to move him!

Sparkout - hope your daughter is feeling better soon.
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

kathlyn

#763 Post by kathlyn » Fri May 08, 2009 9:02 pm

sounds as if you have things under control and enjoying being a mum :D
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#764 Post by Bunnylump » Fri May 08, 2009 9:41 pm

The sleeping at night thing will probably get better when you are so cream crackered that you sleep through the low level crying - he'll soon get used to the idea that it's not the best time to be waking up!! :lol:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

giraffe
Twigi

#765 Post by giraffe » Fri May 08, 2009 9:50 pm

I always liked the night feeds, it felt like me and all the other mummys were awake with our little darlings and everyone else was asleep. It was my special time with the babies.

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#766 Post by gill216 » Fri May 08, 2009 9:56 pm

You mean you really didn't mind being woken up at some unearthly hour - one of those that usually only comes around once in day- because a new person in your life was hungry? :shock:

I think this is why Fraggle calls me a rebel granny. I dread to think what my children call me.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

giraffe
Twigi

#767 Post by giraffe » Fri May 08, 2009 10:12 pm

Well K didn't keep it up for long, she slept through from 8 weeks and was soon sleeping 14 hours at night!!!!!! F and L did it for about 9 months , but they only ever woke once in a night and I used to sit by the window looking out into the darkness and if you could see a light in another window, you knew it was probably another new Mum. A night feed only used to take about half an hour, and then back to a nice warm bed.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#768 Post by Bunnylump » Fri May 08, 2009 10:18 pm

Ah, that explains it. My daughter was 7 weeks premature and needed to be fed every hour, taking 40 minutes for each feed. :evil:

gill216

#769 Post by gill216 » Fri May 08, 2009 10:32 pm

And one of mine was still getting up at around 2am every day/night when they were almost 3 year old. :evil:
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

giraffe
Twigi

#770 Post by giraffe » Fri May 08, 2009 10:33 pm

:lol: :lol: I must admit I have a friend who's two children were up every night until they started school. :shock:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#771 Post by Bunnylump » Fri May 08, 2009 10:35 pm

Now I have a son who doesn't to to bed until 5am and then sleeps until 3pm when he's at home!

gill216

#772 Post by gill216 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:00 pm

Yup, my son started catching up with all the sleep he'd missed as a small person ( he even included my lost sleep in his itenary ) from the age of about 13. :evil:

giraffe
Twigi

#773 Post by giraffe » Fri May 08, 2009 11:01 pm

Oh crumbs! Is Kingsley about to become an insomniac? :shock: :lol: :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#774 Post by LAT » Fri May 08, 2009 11:14 pm

Oh I have a son like that. My daughter isn't quite so bad. She gets up OK just doesn't get dressed until she has to.

SparkOut
International Man of Mystery

#775 Post by SparkOut » Fri May 08, 2009 11:17 pm

Pumpkin and Monkey were bottle fed. They were my night time pals. (I've always been a lot better at dealing with silly o'clock than Mrs S. You might have noticed!)
From about 3 weeks old Pumpkin slept through from 8 until 6 until about 6 months old. Then there was NO sleep for 3 years. Sleep clinic gradually worked. Monkey was more like Fernando and Lally.

Looby

#776 Post by Looby » Sat May 09, 2009 12:17 am

I didn't mind the crying at night as much as the screaming from 6-9pm :D
There's no point in having a last minute if you don't use it!

katsmom

#777 Post by katsmom » Sat May 09, 2009 2:54 am

Poor Kat was a premie too. I think for a while she was permanently attached when we finally got her home from the hospital. It wasn't so much a night feed and a day feed, as it was a 24 hour feed :lol: I finally gave in and got her a dummy because I was just plain sore.

Daddy had the brilliant idea of taking her in bed with us! Eirian, DON'T GIVE IN TO TEMPTATION! Keep him in his own bed....7 years it took to get Kat out, and she still sneaks in during the middle of the night. I'm hoping she becomes an insomniac! :lol:

giraffe
Twigi

#778 Post by giraffe » Sat May 09, 2009 8:05 am

I echo that last one. Mine never came in the bed with us. I went to them. K was mixed fed, because they started that in the special care unit, and the night one was often a bottle. So I knew she was drinking, not just comforting. Mr G did the staying up til midnight with collicky baby bit. :lol:

Laura

#779 Post by Laura » Sat May 09, 2009 11:08 am

This week, I've mostly been dealing with middle of the night wake ups too, but mine were from home-sick 10yr old girls on school trip. I have also zip-wired, done a low ropes course, orienteering, canoeing, archery and nightline - which is a blindfold assault course through mud. I am battered and bruised, ache in very unusual places and have slept for 14 hours, but my school kids are very proud of me!!!

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#780 Post by MBH » Sat May 09, 2009 11:15 am

Well done Laura - blindfold archery from a zip-wire - very impressive :D

Where abouts was all this going on? Hope you got some decent weather for it.