Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#1041 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:07 pm

Oh, trust me that doesn't come naturally to me at all. That's why I was so pleased that it was successful. I'm actually a total butterfly brain and am so easily distracted it's not true. And as for logical thinking, well I think you'll find Scurra might have something to say about my approach to solving puzzles. Random doesn't cover it! :lol:

Did you get the anniversary present in the end strep? If not, I think you should buy yourself one. You deserve it. :D
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

Cenwulf
The Complete Fool
Currently reading: Schott's Miscellanies

#1042 Post by Cenwulf » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:50 pm

strep98 wrote:Well done bunny, you really can't be a pisces with all these logical and organisational skills.
Perhaps it's having Mercury in Aquarius (logic) and Jupiter in Capricorn (organisation) which helps.
Unfortunately, the number of ways of doing something wrong far exceed the number of ways of doing it right. G. Kasparov

16000 - 30/03/2017

neves-ytnewt rebmun rebmem suomynona srelzzup

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#1043 Post by Scurra » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:08 pm

..or, alternatively, it's because astrology is a load of
<connection lost>

giraffe
Twigi

#1044 Post by giraffe » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:33 pm

It's a shame you lost connection, I think I was about to agree with you :roll:

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#1045 Post by clvrlad » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:33 pm

shhsh agreeing with him is almost political :mrgreen:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

Cenwulf
The Complete Fool
Currently reading: Schott's Miscellanies

#1046 Post by Cenwulf » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:48 pm

Scurra wrote:..or, alternatively, it's because astrology is a load of
<connection lost>
...fun?

To quote Sir Isaac Newton:
"Sir, I have studied the matter. You have not."
Unfortunately, the number of ways of doing something wrong far exceed the number of ways of doing it right. G. Kasparov

16000 - 30/03/2017

neves-ytnewt rebmun rebmem suomynona srelzzup

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#1047 Post by MBH » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:57 pm

... having my second of four afternoons at college learning about computer media (pics, videos, movie-maker next week) and setting up social networks on the NING websites.

It's all in aid of our project working with some NEET people during the summer holidays [Not in Emplyement, Education, or Training]

The 'idea' is to catch their attention with using video-cams, digital photos, and music so that they can create what is called a 'Passion Piece' - a social network formed around something they are passionate about. Then.....

The second part is to use those skills they've learned to create a multi-media CV that can be presented to potential employers. [Human Resource people around the forum are now cringing]

Sunderland is being used as a pilot area for this, and we are assured that the young people we are going to deal with WANT to be doing this........ Only time will tell.

Obviously to learn how to do it we are creating our own 'cheap and nasty' passion pieces. Since my project planning skills are a little more advanced than the other 5 students ;) I've dived straight in making my sample one able to be converted to a real site by getting rid of the 2 photos and 1 video we quickly snapped off yesterday and putting propper stuff on.

You can get to the front page (but not to any elements of the screen) using:

http://liazebus.ning.com/

I'm very dubious about the 'facebook' world, and put a strong recommendation forward as the the use and social interaction of Web Forums where people start off with a common interest. At least here things actually happen, and social contacts / friendships grow as time goes on - I have never been in the situation of a large group of people splitting up (like the end of University) where I understand people user Facebook to keep in touch.

Back for my last two sessions next Wednesday and Thursday - should be interesting, and more skills to tuck under my belt. :D

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#1048 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:16 pm

OO er. That's a different scheme. How do you feel about it? (Although obviously you've had fun making it!!) :D

BTW
they can create what is called a 'Passion Piece' - a social network formed around something they are passionate about.
I hope you've thought that one through carefully!! I asked a group of year 11 COPE students to make a project on something they were passionate about. The results were, um... interesting, if not to say scary. :?

Oh and Scurra
..or, alternatively, it's because astrology is a load of
<connection lost>
You really must get this dodgy website sorted out. :lol:

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#1049 Post by MBH » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:37 pm

Bunnylump wrote:OO er. That's a different scheme. How do you feel about it? (Although obviously you've had fun making it!!) :D
I always remember the quote from years ago with the Youth Opportunities Scheme:

"Where there's a scheme - there's a schemer" :roll:

Neither my assistant or I have any knowledge or experience in making young people do what they don't want to do. We are not trained 'youth workers', and my assitant is in his 60's, ex-navy, and has this strange idea that young people should work hard and have respect for their elders. [It's not worth me trying to educate HIM as well as everyone else :evil: ] So the active involvement of the 17-25 year olds this is aimed at will be important.

One example passion-piece we saw was by a young visual artist - and she was able to show off a LOT of her work very quickly and in a stylish manner. But I did ask the question of what a young person trying to get a job in a library would show...... themselves shelving their books at home? :lol:

The brains behind this are apparently (nationwide) going to try and push companies to accept online multi-media CVs - which is totally at odds with the real world we are working in where CVs have died a death and 'Application Forms' need to be filled in. A H.R. staff member said that they decide on a first look through a stack of applications on a maximum of 30-seconds per applicant. That tells a story.

Don't get me wrong - I'll never TOTALLY knock an idea, I'll look for the good parts of it. With this in mind I put forward that these would be good for trimming a dozen possible people down to 3 or 4, where those that can show their time and creativity with something like this will probably make themselves noticed over the others. My only concern was that the youngsters might be given the wrong impression as to how powerful this type of CV might be.

Fortunatly all I'm planning to provide is a mobile base of opperations for the computer work to be carried out - us going to their comfort zone rather than dragging them out to a 'classroom' environment. It is up to groups like the Training Agencies and Connexions to find the people and call us in where we can be effective. Looks like some interesting times during the Summer Holidays :)

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#1050 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:51 pm

Well I hope it all works out. But I have to say I really hope this isn't the way things are going. I may never get another job if I have to produce something wonderful on a computer to sell myself. I'm good at application forms!

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#1051 Post by clvrlad » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:14 am

well im quiet good at the multimedia stuff :-D

did a course myself...well did it twice passed twice too ;-)

the first time i found this course free to the unemployed then convinced my dole officer when told right you need to do a training course that it would be a good idea to send me there ;-)
so ive got a certificate saying i passed with 36 units out of a minimum of 14

and yes it did include videoing and radio stuff ;-) and managed to be a key member in an non professional radio station that ran for 14 days best time i had for ages :-D

even running the sound desk for three Serbian-Croatian ladies who need me to cue up a tape play a tape and all this in an unknown language ;-) mind i like a challenge ;-)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#1052 Post by gill216 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:53 pm

Confusing my OH.

He can't get to grips with my correct answers in last nights pub quiz.

1. What was the title of Terry Prattchetts first book in the Discworld series?

How come you know that? You haven't read any of Terry Pratchetts books :shock:

2.Latin for a cloak?

Sorry Bunny- I know you will hate me for that :D

3. Name 2 of The rippers victims.

I'm telling him nothing :lol: :lol: :lol:
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

kathlyn

#1053 Post by kathlyn » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:59 pm

It's amazing what you can learn on here. congrats on retaining the info :lol:
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#1054 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:04 pm

Ah, so it's EDUCATIONAL being on here? You'd better not tell me that or I'll go off it. :lol: Mind you, I think I mentioned that I enjoyed my moment of glory in a history lesson with spectacular knowledge of shield design...

:D Oh yes, and didn't LAT impress her OH by answering stuff off Mastermind that she'd learned on here?

I think, however, Kathlyn has hit the nail on the head. I have forgotten most of the things I have learned already. :cry:

kathlyn

#1055 Post by kathlyn » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:06 pm

does that mean puzzling addles the brain and not help it as per doctors prophercies ;)
Last edited by kathlyn on Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#1056 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:10 pm

I think it's probably just Scurra's puzzles which are addling my brain, actually. :lol: But then I think that's how they are designed...

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#1057 Post by LAT » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:20 pm

There was a question on Mastermind tonight about the heraldic tern for the colour red! :D

Well done Gill in the quiz! :D

Laura

#1058 Post by Laura » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:26 pm

No, I think its simply the case that by doing these puzzles and surviving, it makes anything else easier by comparisson. i.e. what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#1059 Post by Scurra » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:01 am

You do realise that I do read these threads, don't you?
Oh, wait... of course you do :wink:
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#1060 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:09 pm

You know we love you really.