2010 Puzzlebrains Meet ideas

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

Re: 2010 Puzzlebrains Meet ideas

#201 Post by LAT » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:42 pm

gill216 wrote:Scurra has a good idea too that would fit in with whatever. Maybe LAT, Bunny and Scurra should have a chat? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Or is this another puzzle we have to solve? Do we get a starting hint at least?

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#202 Post by clvrlad » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:47 am

LAT wrote:Do we get a starting hint at least?
yep well all love you for it :-p
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#203 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:36 pm

Can I please just ask for a straw poll: is there anyone who either doesn't like walking or can't walk that far*? We're not thinking of anything epic, but I thought I'd better check.

*Obviously bearing in mind that you will have to carry me in a sedan chair because of the dodgy knee... :mrgreen:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#204 Post by MBH » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:49 pm

Although I don't "walk" as in "going for a walk", I find that when I'm in London I seem to happily walk for MILES drinking in the atmosphere.

As for the sedan chair.....

Mobilicorpus....Mobilicorpus....Mobilicorpus....Mobilicorpus....

:twisted:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#205 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:09 pm

Some people will do anything to avoid a bit of weight training... :lol:

MBH
King of the Swingers

#206 Post by MBH » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:14 pm

Define "BIT" :lol:

My Mam was "twenty one and a bit" all through my childhood. I was probably about 14 when I asked her how big the 'bit' was ;)

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#207 Post by Scurra » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:11 pm

MBH wrote:Although I don't "walk" as in "going for a walk", I find that when I'm in London I seem to happily walk for MILES drinking in the atmosphere.
Although given the latest story about London being fined for "dangerous levels of microparticles", I'm not sure that drinking in the atmosphere is a tremendously good idea... :lol:
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

LAT
Nagging Nora

#208 Post by LAT » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:10 pm

I've been doing some research on walks etc in London and found some nice ones that focus on gardens. There is a particular one in the City which I think looks interesting and could easily be combined with a short quiz trail I have found. Most of the gardens are quite small but they are quite varied and we would also take in several of the livery company buildings. This walk starts at St Paul's (and finishes there too unless we go off on a tangent!). We could also spot a few blue plaques along the way. Total distance I estimate under 3 miles assuming the website is to be believed - and it seems reasonable to me.
Museums that have been mentioned include the Museum of Childhood which is a couple of stops away from St Paul's and the Geffrye Museum which is a similar distance away from this walk. The walk also goes past the Museum of London which is very interesting. (Mind you I haven't been there for several years but I've never been to either of the others :roll: )
All three museums are free to visit and all have cafes. The cafes will be more expensive than buying your sarnies at a supermarket but aren't unreasonably priced. They do have more substantial stuff too.

There is also a walk in Bloomsbury and one in Southwark that are possibilities too if people don't fancy the City one.

And there is the mystery activity that Gill and Scurra have discussed but I am still in the dark about that! :?

What I would like from those who are hoping to join us are some comments on the above. My suggestion is that we meet at one of the museums maybe, go round that and possibly have a bit to eat there - (there is likely to be somewhere where those who prefer could eat a packed lunch at the Museums of Childhood and London at least) and then maybe walk off our lunch on the trail I am putting together. But I am totally open to suggestions if others have some better ideas of what to do.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#209 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:18 pm

The museum of childhood appeals to me (because I'm a big kid) and I like the idea of having lunch and then going on to do a trail. But if anyone else would prefer anything else then that's fine. Just as long as I have someone making sure I don't get lost (no sense of direction) then I'm cool with whatever.

I think the walks and quiz idea that LAT is working on look brilliant. :D :D Thank you so much for doing this LAT. :D

I'm happy to go out to eat in the evening too if anyone is up for that.

MBH
King of the Swingers

#210 Post by MBH » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:31 pm

Bunnylump wrote:The museum of childhood appeals to me (because I'm a big kid)
Me too - for similar reasons ;)
Bunnylump wrote:Just as long as I have someone making sure I don't get lost (no sense of direction)
I'll look after you Sis - I got the directional genes :lol:
Bunnylump wrote:I'm happy to go out to eat in the evening too if anyone is up for that.
If it's got an English menu, I like the sound of that. {But happy to vanish if you all want to go somewhere exotic}

Wulfruna

#211 Post by Wulfruna » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:57 pm

Museums and gardens sound good to me :D One of the things I enjoyed about living in London was wandering around and coming across one of those lovely little green oases in the middle of nowhere in particular. And the City area is fascinating. Of course, if the Museum of London is included that might risk having to go into the Barbican - which is a puzzle in itself if you want to find your way out of it again...... (as we may remember from "Down the Tube".... :shock: :twisted: )
Thanks LAT for the suggestions.
MBH wrote:If it's got an English menu, I like the sound of that. {But happy to vanish if you all want to go somewhere exotic}
If it involves curry or similar exotics then I'm likely to vanish away too - softly and suddenly of course......

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#212 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:02 am

There was a vague mention of the term "Pizza Express" but I don't think that's too exotic, is it? :lol: (They do other things apart from Pizza I think, ). But that was only a possibility, it's all negotiable. :lol:

I don't care what I eat. My friend Pat, who loves to cook, refers to me as "the ideal dinner party guest" because I eat ANYTHING. Well, apart from Heinz Spaghetti, but I don't class that as food. :lol: I'm sure we could find a pub or something which serves a selection. See, you got the direction genes, I got the anti fussy genes. :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#213 Post by LAT » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:23 am

Think I'm with you bunnylump except that I would have to add offal to my list of don't eats.

But I guess a visit to Chinatown might be out of the question??

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#214 Post by gill216 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:03 pm

Just so you know, I will go anywhere and eat anything :D

And the plans look good too.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

Biscuit
Currently reading: The book of secrets

#215 Post by Biscuit » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:24 pm

The plans look really good :):):)

gill216

#216 Post by gill216 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:45 pm

I've just checked out Wetherspoons and Yates- both of which are cheap and cheerful pub grub. Yates www.weareyates.co.uk are offering free cheeseburger and chips if you sign up for their news letters. No date limits on the voucher but it does say participating pubs only and there is only one in London in Leicester square.

www.jdwetherspoons.co.uk have their menu online and quite a fw pubs but I'm not sure if any are in the area we'd be in.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#217 Post by clvrlad » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:34 pm

gill216 wrote:I've just checked out Wetherspoons and Yates- both of which are cheap and cheerful pub grub. Yates http://www.weareyates.co.uk are offering free cheeseburger and chips if you sign up for their news letters. No date limits on the voucher but it does say participating pubs only and there is only one in London in Leicester square.

http://www.jdwetherspoons.co.uk have their menu online and quite a fw pubs but I'm not sure if any are in the area we'd be in.
well im going to link to two different pages on a website the first is specifically eating out in london
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/ ... als/london

the second is restaurant vouchers
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/ ... rant-deals
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#218 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:55 pm

They look good Clvrlad. We'd need to check those deals a bit nearer the time because most of them are only for the next month. But it looks like there are some good deals to be had. :D

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#219 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Also, this is a list of all the Weatherspoons pubs in London, if that's the sort of thing people like. I don't know what they're like or where any of these places are though!!
Wetherspoon-Pubs[1].pdf
(3.46 MiB) Downloaded 36 times

gill216

#220 Post by gill216 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:22 pm

Wetherspoons got a bit of a hammering in Milton Keynes. :lol: :lol: :lol: