Word Zendo

For puzzles and games created by members.
Scurra
Alias the Jester

Re: Word Zendo

#141 Post by Scurra » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:18 am

Student SparkOut continues to show his wisdom, as a goggle at Google would be appreciated by the Buddha, as opposed to a Live Search (or even a Liver search, as I first typed.)

Student Bunnylump, your bankcards may seem worthless, but then wordly goods are an illusion. In which case, the Buddha will gladly take both your Lloyds and Abbey cards off your hands (but not perhaps, your Barclays or NatWest ones?)

The Master would like to apologise (although, perhaps, not very sincerely) to those students baffled by the requirements of the Buddha. He is sure that enlightenment will soon arrive.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#142 Post by Scurra » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:20 am

Adjusted Update:
Buddha-Boom-Boom-Boom!
apples Caravaggio eggs Fraggle foggy gaggle giggle goggle happy supple

Buddha-not-quite-so-boom but still OK:
Abbey abyss acceptable Babbage buddy cabbage depressed drubbing geese glass giraffe giraffes Google grubber guess Lloyds paddles puzzled rag doll rubbing skinny tabby tubby

Buddha-ever-so-nearly-boom
aloof baffled Buddha Canaletto cool commune creek della Francesca flummoxed hellebore Hood Issachar kiss lass loose miss Puzzlebrains rabbit rabble raffle rubber Saffron school scrabble shallot Stafford tombolla
boys gals gelignite laugh mango misty mystified reading Turing writing

Buddha--completely-bust:
arsenic bananas bacon Constable camels carafe cauliflower Clown cold hemlock hot live salmon search Siamese whales
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#143 Post by MBH » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:30 am

Just as a wild guess, would the Master be looking to be supple and happy rather than stiff and depressed? Or would he just end up annoyed?

SparkOut
International Man of Mystery

#144 Post by SparkOut » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:46 am

on the last page, SparkOut wrote:This student certainly is not confident of making such a leap, Master.
I do wonder though, would the Buddha like to kiss a miss rather than a lass or one of the gals?
Humbly this student wonders whether the Buddha might be persuaded to reveal whether he is a ladies' man?

kathlyn

#145 Post by kathlyn » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:56 pm

I think our bunny may be wrong and that our enlightened on would also like to snuggle up with the giraffe and rag doll.

Rather than stay cool and aloof by himserlf.
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#146 Post by Scurra » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:13 pm

Firstly, to student SparkOut, I am sorry I missed your other question, although I would have thought that it was obvious that the Buddha doesn't like to kiss a miss, a lass or any gals. Or even boys come to that.

Student MBH, to be supple is indeed to be happy, but to be stiff is to be both depressed and annoyed.

And student Kathlyn is right to surmise that to snuggle up with a giraffe and a rag doll is far preferable to being cool and aloof.

And I think that the students have had more than enough assistance so far - there's no risk in taking a guess at the rule you know! But continually offering suggestions (especially multiple suggestions) gets wearing.

Cenwulf
The Complete Fool
Currently reading: Schott's Miscellanies

#147 Post by Cenwulf » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:33 pm

My head whirls, and I can find neither rhyme nor reason for the choice. Will I find the answer if I stay on Puzzlebrains or should I head back to the College?
And if I choose the latter, should I ask for help from Issachar or Professor Stafford?
Unfortunately, the number of ways of doing something wrong far exceed the number of ways of doing it right. G. Kasparov

16000 - 30/03/2017

neves-ytnewt rebmun rebmem suomynona srelzzup

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#148 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:00 pm

Master, I'm sure that if anyone had the faintest idea what to offer you in the way of a guess, they surely would! With the greatest of deference, I would like to venture that we have understood the first part of the rule - there seems to be a doubling of letters needed to set on out on the righteous path, but what else we need, is not yet clear. :?
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#149 Post by Scurra » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:49 pm

Student Cenwulf, a visit to the College would be advisable, although neither Issachar or Stafford will be quite sufficient to help. Puzzlebrains presents the Master with something of a quandary however; a situation that hasn't affected other answers.
edit: I have now meditated upon this, and have concluded that it is not acceptable.

Student Bunnylump, do not succumb to despair - just make a guess and see what happens...

Cenwulf
The Complete Fool

#150 Post by Cenwulf » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:18 pm

The mind boggles! Does Scurra pass the rule, or Bunnylump?

It's almost as if Scurra looks at each word with a double letter, then tosses a coin - heads to accept and tails to reject. A 99.99% chance of being wrong, but nobody else seems to have a clue at the moment.
Unfortunately, the number of ways of doing something wrong far exceed the number of ways of doing it right. G. Kasparov

16000 - 30/03/2017

SparkOut
International Man of Mystery

#151 Post by SparkOut » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:27 pm

well it's obviously not random, but I am as confused as ever. I thought I was getting somewhere with an idea about the number of letters in a word of the Buddha nature being even or odd depending on the position in the alphabet of the first letter (and/or the doubled letters, and/or the last letter) but my theory doesn't stand up to extensive testing.

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#152 Post by LAT » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:30 pm

Is this a Battle worth Winning? I have been very Muddled since the words have been divided into degrees of acceptabilty. And even the pussy cat isn't much help.

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#153 Post by Scurra » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:40 pm

Student Cenwulf, the mind clearly does not boggle. But it is true that Bunnylump is far more acceptable to the Buddha than Scurra.

Student LAT, the prospect of winning a pussy certainly holds an attraction to the Buddha; a muddled battle does not.

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#154 Post by MBH » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:55 pm

Scurra wrote: But it is true that Bunnylump is far more acceptable to the Buddha than Scurra.
To pot with the game - let's just FRAME THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cenwulf
The Complete Fool

#155 Post by Cenwulf » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:59 pm

Personally I think that there should be a time limit on this game. A seriously fiendish Master could choose an 'InSiCoQua'* algorithm of such obscurity that nobody is likely to get it even if they exhaust the Oxford English Dictionary from 'a' to 'zyxt'. And as that would take the fun out of the whole thing, perhaps the Master should be set a limit - if nobody manages to crack the Buddha nature in seven days, then the Master should explain the Buddha nature and choose a new Buddha nature. Otherwise people will be put off the game and it'll die a slow lingering death.

*short for Invenio Si Cogno Quaererum - 'you find it if you know what you're looking for'.

16000 - 30/03/2017

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#156 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:02 am

MBH wrote:
Scurra wrote: But it is true that Bunnylump is far more acceptable to the Buddha than Scurra.
To pot with the game - let's just FRAME THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Absoflippinglutely!!

How about that one, Master?
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#157 Post by Scurra » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:16 am

Cenwulf wrote:Personally I think that there should be a time limit on this game.
Well, should that become a problem, then I would agree with you.
As I have not yet been Master for a week, I feel that a deadline would be inappropriate. Should the enthusiasm of the students start to wane, of course... But as yet, it seems unnecessary.

And to student Bunnylump: you don't suppose I might have chosen the rule for precisely that reason? :lol:

giraffe
Twigi

#158 Post by giraffe » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:06 am

Master can I just clarify something please? In your list of accectable words you have rag doll, are you saying that ragdoll is acceptable or that rag is acceptable on it's own?

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#159 Post by Scurra » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:19 am

I suppose I should have marked the "two word" submissions somehow to make it clear they were acceptable in that two word form.
Student giraffe is very astute, because neither rag nor doll are acceptable on their own but "rag doll" is.

giraffe
Twigi

#160 Post by giraffe » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:53 am

Student giraffe is very astute
or a complete fusspot as usual.

Might I enquire how the master looks on fusspots?

Can I word be acceptable on it's own, but not when compouned with something else? eg fragglegiggle.