I'm Busy Reading....

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

Re: I'm Busy Reading....

#501 Post by tricia » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:33 pm

The only one I've read is Harry Potter and the New marauders. I liked the original characters and the introduction of the new characters here. The "Belgariad wolfy" thing was also a nice twist. I would say this story was heavily influenced by it.

Thanks for the link to the site :D

Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#502 Post by MBH » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:00 pm

If you liked the original HP Character group then I can strongly recommend the very clever:

George & Annie: an Unofficial Biography -
http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/shosier/GAAUB.html

It is set in the same time frame as a half-dozen books we may have read elsewhere ;) but told from a totally different person's viewpoint. The story arc of the official books is totally secondary to the lives of the characters in this story :)

The writer has thought a LOT about how to fill in gaps. It's a while since I've read the whole original series, but I can't see any glaring mistakes.

MBH
King of the Swingers

#503 Post by MBH » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:42 am

I've just finished "The name of this book is secret", written by Pseudonymous Bosch :lol: I know very little about this person, but he OR she would make a great member of PuzzleBrains.

The stars of the story are 11-year-olds, so that gives an idea of the intended reading audience - but the humour is all suitable to the strange way WE tend to see life.

There are codes and puzzles to solve within the story, and the reader does get a chance to do it themselves if they want. It even ends up with a good explaination of a keyword letter replacement code.

I should probably only be recommending it for Lally [although I'll be in trouble for exposing her to the dangers of reading the book - that you're warned about on various occasions], but if anyone else wants a sneaky read and some wry smiles then you can give it a go.

tricia

#504 Post by tricia » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:11 am

Just finished Kate Mosse Sepulchre - excellent story with a few links to the DaVinci code conspiracy

Tricia

strep98
One Hot Cherub
Currently reading: Moon Sister

#505 Post by strep98 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:43 pm

tricia wrote:Just finished Kate Mosse Sepulchre - excellent story with a few links to the DaVinci code conspiracy

Tricia

Must get around to this it has been on the shelf for 2 years now. I'm going to admit to reading the 39 clues series I know they are kids books but they have puzzles and are good fun.
I don't have hot flushes. I have short holidays in the Tropics.
Women are Angels And when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to flyon a broomstick We are flexible like that.
A pesimist is only an optimist who knows more

tricia

#506 Post by tricia » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:51 pm

It is also slightly scary

Tricia

katsmom

#507 Post by katsmom » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:33 am

I just picked up a series of books by Shelly Freydont. They are Sudoku Murders, Sudden Death Sudoku, and Serial Killer Sudoku. No, you don't have to solve the puzzles at the beginning of each chapter to understand the plot. An easy read with some tough puzzles thrown in for fun. :?

And Strep, I enjoyed the 39 clues as well! But can't play those stupid games so I can't finish the online bit of it :roll:

MBH
King of the Swingers

#508 Post by MBH » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:16 pm

strep98 wrote:I'm going to admit to reading the 39 clues series I know they are kids books but they have puzzles and are good fun.
Nothing wrong with that at all :D Looks like I'm in good company.

Nice suggestion Katsmom - I'll keep my eyes open for them.

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#509 Post by eirian » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:41 am

Just making my way through the new books I got for Christmas :D

Finished Un Lun Dun (China Meilville), which was v.surreal (but then, which of his books isn't?)
Just starting Time Travellers Wife. Looking forward to this one. I usually avoid books that have been popular, but thought I'd try this.

Got another China Mielville & a couple of Iain Banks to go. Much though I love re-reading books (which is why it takes a lot for me to get rid of any books, much to Sigur's despair!), it is nice to get some new ones occasionally!
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

giraffe
Twigi

#510 Post by giraffe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:51 am

I really enjoyed the Time traveller's wife. Been a few years since I read it , but I was just thinking the other day I'd like to reread it.

SparkOut
International Man of Mystery

#511 Post by SparkOut » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:12 am

I love re-reading books (which is why it takes a lot for me to get rid of any books, much to Sigur's despair!)
I love re-reading books (which is why it takes a lot for me to get rid of any books, much to Mrs S's despair!)

(not that I get to read very much nowadays, so there are a number which have been donated to the Post Office for their stock of ones to resell in aid of a local hospice, and I've just about managed get over that.)

giraffe
Twigi

#512 Post by giraffe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:17 am

I have books that I read and reread. They are like comfort blankets. I go back to them when I want something familiar and un challenging. And I don't mean classics, although I've read some of those several times.

katsmom

#513 Post by katsmom » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:18 pm

I LOVE historical fiction. Whenever I know a new one is coming out by a couple of authors, each of whom have written a series, I start from book one and reread all that has come before. One of them are on book 20 in the series now. Can you imagine reading the same book 20 times? :?
It's like going back to visit an old friend....you can be away for a year, but pick up right where you left off.

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#514 Post by Scurra » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:29 pm

I have a couple of series where I have done that, but mostly ones where the cast of characters is so complicated that you would lose track otherwise - e.g. the Katherine Kerr Deverry series is wonderful but it has a sort of "reincarnation" motif, with narrative threads set in different time periods and you rapidly lose track of who has been "reborn" as who, even within a single book sometimes. And when there was a seven year gap between one book and the next, you really did have to start all over again!

I am reading Xanth #33 at the moment. And blimey, it's non-stop sex! Antony points out in his Author's Note that the Xanth series has usually been perceived as being for children, because it's full of puns and often has junior protagonists - oh, and because it's fantasy of course, and no real adult reads fantasy... :) So he has a bit of fun poking fun at his own previous coyness on the subject in earlier entries in the series.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#515 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:31 pm

I don't read at all now. By the time I get home it's too dark and now we only have stupid bulbs rather than proper ones I can't read anything. :cry: I really miss that.I made the mistake of lending all my best books (about 20 of them, which I used to read and re read) to a mad neighbour who was home sick. She never returned one of them and I was too scared to ask (she really was mad, as in barking). :roll: Starting to wonder if I should get some audio books, but I suspect that would just annoy me.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

giraffe
Twigi

#516 Post by giraffe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Can you make the print bigger on those electronic books? Might that be an answer? We have audio books in the car on long journeys, so if you'd like to borrow tapes of postman pat (we've outgrown that one) Carries war, Jamaica Inn or things like that then shout. (I can't remember what else we've got as I borrowed some of them from the library. )

tricia

#517 Post by tricia » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:42 pm

As you know I do crafting and they constantly adverise an OT or OP light which gives off excellent light for crafting - it cuts out the shadows and they say it is better than a daylight bulb - a desk one costs about £40. I wonder if that would help you to see better. I agree that these energy saving bulbs are terrible,

If you want I can try and find out a bit more info for you :D

Tricia

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#518 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:51 pm

I find reading off screens really difficult too, even on here if someone writes a big screed I find I miss out lines and it doesn't make sense. It's hard to describe what it's like. I have to focus on one word at a time to see what it is, and then move my eyes individually to the next word. If I'm tired it's even worse because the words appear to jiggle in front of my eyes. Quite headache inducing, actually. :roll: That's why I have so much trouble with anything in a grid, like a wordsearch. It's really hard to follow the letters on the same line. It's also the reason that I read so slowly and take ages to locate words on a page.

Thanks for the offer though, not convinced Postman Pat is quite my cup of tea... :lol: :lol:

And yes, I was wondering if one of those might be a good idea Tricia. Might be worth a look.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

tricia

#519 Post by tricia » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:13 pm

Try this website Bunny

http://www.ottlite.co.uk/t-ottlite-difference.aspx

Also the shopping channel and create and craft tv do them

:D Tricia

strep98
One Hot Cherub
Currently reading: Moon Sister

#520 Post by strep98 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:40 pm

katsmom wrote:
And Strep, I enjoyed the 39 clues as well! But can't play those stupid games so I can't finish the online bit of it :roll:

I can't do missions 0 and 1 because UI keep crashing the plane and sinking the sub :cry:
I don't have hot flushes. I have short holidays in the Tropics.
Women are Angels And when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to flyon a broomstick We are flexible like that.
A pesimist is only an optimist who knows more