PM notifications

For issues relating to the site, including technical problems.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here, thank you. This forum is for problems you may be having with the site itself.
gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

Re: PM notifications

#21 Post by gill216 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:15 pm

I raised a query yesterday with Scurra and I think you might all like to know the question and answer.

Giraffe sent me a PM with a subject title of DO NOT OPEN- I'm editing. So I didn't open it. Then she sent me another message with the subject title of "I knew you couldn't resist!". At that point I HADN'T opened her message BUT it had moved from her outbox to her sent box.

So I asked the question of how can that happen. Apparently a message moves from a senders outbox to their sent box when the recipient opens their message folder- NOT the actual message. In other words, the recipient may have seen that you have sent a message but it doesn't mean that they have, or that they have read your message. The sender may assume that you have. I would have done but for this strange experience.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

giraffe
Twigi

#22 Post by giraffe » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:27 pm

Is there a way of cutting and pasting from several other posts / pms without your pm being eaten? (This is what I was trying to do) I have tried saving it as a draft before, but it doesn't seem to work. (I can't remember in what way it didn't work, whether it disappeared or sent itself)

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#23 Post by gill216 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:38 pm

I've found a method that works for me, and also gets away from my problem of running out of space when typing a long pm. I open a word document, cut and paste from wherever I want to the word doc and then cut and paste the entire document back to the pm I want to send.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

giraffe
Twigi

#24 Post by giraffe » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:44 pm

That sounds great. It's a pain when you type a long one and it won't stay still. (That's why you had so many installments last night, apart from them opening themselves randomly :lol: )

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#25 Post by Bunnylump » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:24 pm

Ah, that is interesting, actually, Gill. I had assumed that people had actually read my message. Now I know that Scurra might actually STILL be ignoring me... :lol: (No, he never does that. He loves to get my little messages of love and affection - DON'T YOU SCURRA??) :lol:

And yes, I do the collating on word too for long waffles.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#26 Post by MBH » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:34 pm

Being a simple soul, I do the same thing with good old-fashioned "Notepad".

If there are only a couple of quotes I need, I have hit the 'Quote' button on one - shaded and copied the text box then hit BACK. Then it's a simple case of finding the other item I want to quote, hit the 'Quote' button on that, and paste the first quote above or below as required.

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#27 Post by LAT » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:43 pm

Recently I have noticed that my email notifications of PMs are not arriving until I have logged in and gone to my inbox. Which rather defeats the idea of getting a notification that I have a PM waiting to be read. If I'm logged in I can see I have a PM but I want to be told when a PM has arrived so I know I should log in.

Any thoughts on why this has started happening?