Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
Laura

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#5301 Post by Laura » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:31 pm

Well, tomorrow is Heroes day at school. Basic idea is you go to school dressed as your hero and pay £1 for the priviledge, with the proceeds going to the local children's hospital. I'm wondering who I'll get to teach? There's one little girl, I'm putting my money on her going as Einstein!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#5302 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:14 pm

:D :D We did a "be who you want to be" day, similar idea really. I ended up in a classroom where the teacher was in full Elvis Presley outfit. :lol:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#5303 Post by Scurra » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:26 pm

I notice that you aren't admitting to what you went as though. Although perhaps the image of you as Tinkerbell would be a bit much for impressionable young minds...?
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5304 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:51 pm

:lol: :lol: Me dressed as Tinkerbell would certainly be a bit much for impressionable OLD minds, let me tell you! Green tights? I don't think so. :lol:

Laura

#5305 Post by Laura » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:08 pm

Well, in the end, I taught two 'Dad' s, a Blackpool footballer (can't remember the name), Beth Tweddle, Amy Johnson, a Hello Kitty, and a famous clarinettist who I really should know, as I'm the clarinet teacher, but who I've never heard of!

Among the teachers, there was the Queen, Princess Diana, and Ghandi. I think I may have let the side down a little going as Miranda Hart! She is officially the queen of comedy though, so that'll do me!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5306 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:07 am

I think Miranda Hart is brilliant too. I'm just wondering though how you managed to represent her!?

Laura

#5307 Post by Laura » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:42 am

With jeans, trainers and a checky shirt, and my hair straightened. I have the advantage of looking like her already, and like most people I'd brought a picture anyway. I guessed that a lot of the kids wouldn't know who she is. Unfortunately, it seemed to make me turn into the sitcom character. I spent the day dropping things, breaking things, spilling tea on people etc. etc. :roll:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5308 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:48 am

...and I hope you did some of those wonderful "aside comments directly to the camera"? :lol:
I spend EVERY day dropping things, tripping over and spilling tea on people. Standard practice for me, unfortunately people don't usually laugh when I do it!

Wulfruna

#5309 Post by Wulfruna » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:36 pm

Having a perfectly wonderful day playing at being Grandma and Grandad with Thomas, while Mummy and Daddy sneak off having a well-earned day to themselves in the glorious Devon sunshine.........
So we've been at the park playing over and over again on the swings and the slide - not to mention practising his football skills on the grass :D He didn't seem to miss Mummy and Daddy at all - but sshhhhh, don't anyone tell them...... ;) :lol: He even lay down happily for his afternoon nap without a complaint (and so did Grandma and Grandad :? )

We tried showing him the beach earlier in the week, but he showed little enthusiasm at the idea of getting his feet wet in the nasty cold water nor of dirtying his hands with that silly sand - though Grandma made some lovely sandcastles with his brand new bucket and spade. No doubt that will all change in a year or two and we'll be wishing that the sand didn't get everywhere! :lol:

The next excitement is the arrival of Uncle Scurra later this afternoon..........

giraffe
Twigi

#5310 Post by giraffe » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:10 pm

I was thinking the other day K as a toddler screamed when put in a swing at the park. Now this was the high point of her holiday:

So perhaps Thomas will learn to enjoy the sand.
Attachments
K is the pink blob just behind the man in the baseball cap!
K is the pink blob just behind the man in the baseball cap!
hulk.jpg (32.53 KiB) Viewed 1388 times

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5311 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:31 pm

:lol: My son hated getting his hands dirty when he was little too. He used to cry when they tried to make him play with clay at playgroup!! :lol: He's a great big mucky galoot now. How things change. :D

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#5312 Post by gill216 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:06 pm

My son must have been about 8 when I dragged him off the noddy car roundabout and made him get onto a "bigger persons" funfair ride that was fast but never left the ground. He was screaming blue murder and I'm afraid I told him to stop being a wuss and open his flippin eyes. Couldn't get him off it after that. Didn't like being dirty either until he discovered the bale of hay rope swing across the stream at the end of our garden, Then I had to strip him in the garden before he even got into the house because he was always covered in mud- shoes included. He's great big gallot too now :D
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#5313 Post by eirian » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:43 pm

... driving back from Devon. Really smooth trip back for a change - no roadworks!

Thomas isn't happy though. Suspect he's missing his doting grandparents/uncle!
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

dramaticat

#5314 Post by dramaticat » Sun May 01, 2011 11:45 am

Spending my bank holiday evenings in long rehearsals for The Mikado.

Ho hum.

Normally I would be excited, but for the first time in years I'm in a production where I'm looking forward to it being over!
Dear Mr Optimist, Mr Pessimist and Mr Realist, While you were arguing about the glass of water, I drank it! Yours sincerely, Mr Opportunist.

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#5315 Post by LAT » Sun May 01, 2011 3:58 pm

do you not like the Mikado?

dramaticat

#5316 Post by dramaticat » Mon May 02, 2011 1:09 pm

The Mikado is great.

This production is not, for many reasons (IMO anyway). That's what I'm not enjoying.

The set is beautiful, though.
Dear Mr Optimist, Mr Pessimist and Mr Realist, While you were arguing about the glass of water, I drank it! Yours sincerely, Mr Opportunist.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5317 Post by Bunnylump » Mon May 02, 2011 11:40 pm

...Getting back from a weekend away with "the girls". Crikey, I need a holiday to recover. :lol: Note to self: remember you are OLD and can't get away with staying up giggling until 2 30 am and climbing cliffs is DEFINITELY out. I will do a write up of adventures for anyone bored enough to read it in "on me 'olidays" in a while.

giraffe
Twigi

#5318 Post by giraffe » Wed May 04, 2011 5:55 pm

I had an unpleasant experience this afternoon, on the way back from school. I was following a lorry and all of a sudden a scaffholding pole flew off the back of it towards my car. Fortunately I'm sensible enough not to drive very close to things, so I slammed the brakes on and narrowly missed the 6 foot long pole as it bounced around the road, although if it hadn't bounced away I might have been in real trouble. Quite terrifying!

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#5319 Post by LAT » Wed May 04, 2011 7:01 pm

that is scary! :shock:

I once had a scaffolding joint thingy come off a truck coming towards me on the other side of the road. It bounced a couple of times and hit my wheel. It dented the wheel badly (and shook me up rather too). :roll:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5320 Post by Bunnylump » Wed May 04, 2011 8:09 pm

Oh goodness, Giraffe, that sounds scary! Glad you were ok!

Mind you, my friend who spends half her life Kayaking all over the country got home one time to discover that her kayak was no longer on the roof of her car!!! :shock: :shock: She re traced her journey and eventually found it by the side of an A road. :shock:

On another note, one of the older teachers today wrote on the board

"May the 4th be with you." :lol: Needless to say it was totally wasted on the pupils. :lol:
Last edited by Bunnylump on Wed May 04, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.