Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#5341 Post by LAT » Sat May 07, 2011 7:43 pm

I am trying to work out the relevance of the offer to wash your kitchen floor to any of the other comments. :lol:

I did a bit of gardening this afternoon and at one point noticed a small dot of blood on my arm a couple of inches above the wrist. Now I have a hard round bump there (which is par for the course for me) but intriguingly I also have a thin red line from the area of the bump going up my arm to a couple of inches above the elbow. :? What with the burn on my other wrist and various scratches, my arms are looking particularly fetching tonight :roll:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#5342 Post by Bunnylump » Sat May 07, 2011 7:46 pm

Seriously, LAT get that checked out!! It sounds horribly like an infected sting to me!! My sister in law had a similar thing last year and ended up in hospital for 2 days because she didn't get it looked at. :o
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

strep98
One Hot Cherub
Currently reading: Moon Sister

#5343 Post by strep98 » Sat May 07, 2011 7:52 pm

Been typing minutes from the Parish Meeting, that ended with the local coroner being given a duster and wet j cloth to clean up the dust he had been moaning about. Priceless expression on his face as I don't think nanny had taught him to use anything like that before, Gill I'll send him up to do your floor now he has been trained :lol: :lol:
I don't have hot flushes. I have short holidays in the Tropics.
Women are Angels And when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to flyon a broomstick We are flexible like that.
A pesimist is only an optimist who knows more

LAT
Nagging Nora

#5344 Post by LAT » Sat May 07, 2011 7:54 pm

:lol: That's wonderful strep!

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#5345 Post by gill216 » Sat May 07, 2011 10:06 pm

but intriguingly I also have a thin red line from the area of the bump going up my arm to a couple of inches above the elbow.
Laura, I'm with Bunny on this one. Thats needs to be seen urgently. Not tomorrow or whenever you have time. Like right now!!! How long is it since you had a tetanus jab?

And as for the kitchen floor then that was a remark I deliberately misunderstood :D I just thought I'd show how easy it is for that to happen.

Gill: Ha- Looks like the kitchen floor isn't going to get cleaned today either.

Anon.: You know I'm always happy to help :mrgreen: .

Gill: Wow, you are going to come and wash my kitchen floor?

:lol: :lol:
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

LAT
Nagging Nora

#5346 Post by LAT » Sat May 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Aah, thanks for the explanation Gill :lol:

and the red line is now fading although the swollen area round the bite is a bit larger, but I'm used to that happening.

March 2002.

giraffe
Twigi

#5347 Post by giraffe » Sat May 07, 2011 10:56 pm

I'm allergic to bites too. I had two on my arm last year and it was red from shoulder to elbow.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5348 Post by Bunnylump » Sat May 07, 2011 11:07 pm

I asked anon if anon had made you pee yourself with laughing, Gill... :lol:

I have awful trouble with bites as well. Last year I got a mosquito bite on my foot. My foot swelled up so much I couldn't get any shoes on. It was all shiny and looked like I had elephantiasis. :roll: It's the red line which is concerning me though, LAT. That is a sign that the grot is progressing up a vein. Seriously, if it's still bad tomorrow you must go and get it seen to. Otherwise I'm coming down to drag you kicking and screaming to the doctor... :lol:

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#5349 Post by Scurra » Sat May 07, 2011 11:12 pm

Bunnylump wrote:I asked anon if anon had made you pee yourself with laughing, Gill... :lol:
Talking to yourself is the first sign of madness you know, Bunny... :D
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5350 Post by Bunnylump » Sat May 07, 2011 11:17 pm

Now I DO talk to myself all the time. But I didn't imagine that conversation. OR DID I??? :? :o Do de doodoo...queue eerie alien music...

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#5351 Post by MBH » Sun May 15, 2011 12:32 pm

This was Friday evening rather than today, but as part of The Late Shows season I visited the Victoria Tunnel that runs under Newcastle.

Unfortunatly only 700 yards of the 2.5 miles tunnel is accessible, but an interesting place with TWO distict histories. As a way of getting coal down to the ships that would transport it in the 1840s and as a deep shelter in the 1940s.

The clever engineers managed to get a consistent slope for the 200 foot drop over the 2.5 miles so the containers rolled down under gravity and were then winched back up to the top again. I'm still trying to picture the drum that contained 2.5 miles of hemp rope that was dragged out behind the carriages.

At the end we put our torches out and in the darkness had a sound effect of a load of coal going past. Very interesting. [and I'm not a history buff, but I've got to admire the engineering].

http://www.victoriatunnel.info/Introduction.html

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5352 Post by Bunnylump » Sun May 15, 2011 1:26 pm

That sounds really interesting MBH. Although I would really struggle to make myself go down what looks like a claustrophobic tunnel like that!! :oops: Like you say, just from an engineering point of view it is fascinating.

(Yesterday) I went out to my friend's house for a really nice meal. I was on pudding detail. It was one of those times when the first thing I made APPEARED to go horribly wrong. It was supposed to be a chocolate and cola cake. When it came out of the oven, the middle wasn't cooked and the outside was crisp. :cry: When I tried to remove it from the tin, it disintegrated all over the place. :roll:
So I squidged it all together in a big mush and made a chocolate and cola frosting goo stuff and spread it on the top. So, I decided to make another pudding (raspberry and nougat semifreddo with raspberries and raspberry sauce). But when I came to leave, I decided to take the "disaster pudding" anyway. And so we had TWO puddings. Guess what? The cake was WONDERFUL. :roll:

I'm going out in a couple of hours AGAIN for my friend's 50th. This time we're off to St Michael's Manor in St Albans (very posh) for afternoon tea. Better go and find a dress, I suppose. :roll: Oh, and then an iron. :lol: (What is it you're supposed to do with them again??)

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#5353 Post by eirian » Sun May 15, 2011 2:07 pm

must admit Bunny, that first cake does sound nice, even if it was a bit too squidgy for appearances..

yesterday I met up with a load of ladies I've known for years online, but never met in real life. (hmm... sounds familiar somehow). We met at a hotel's restaurant in the middle of Birmingham and I really felt sorry for the waiters - how do you get the attention of 14 really chatty ladies? We just talked solidly for the 5 hours we were there. I may say though, that lot make us here look positively quiet. The main thread on the forum is around 2 1/2 years old now I think and has well over 11,000 posts on it.
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5354 Post by Bunnylump » Sun May 15, 2011 2:09 pm

Are they all like me then? :lol: :lol: (That's something to give Scurra nightmares, isn't it?? :mrgreen: )

Laura

#5355 Post by Laura » Sun May 15, 2011 2:23 pm

So, this morning I became a Godmother for the first time. Apparently one of my duties is to help her look forward to her confirmation. Well, it's happening in 3 1/2 hours, so it shouldn't take much doing! Busy day!!!!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5356 Post by Bunnylump » Sun May 15, 2011 8:29 pm

:shock: Blimey, that's quick work!!

Well, I've been for my posh tea. Crikey, four sandwiches, two scones with clotted cream and FOUR cakes? :shock: I'm all over the shop, fuelled with sugar. That's far more dangerous for me than alcohol!! :lol: My husband couldn't believe it. I just got back (8pm) and we'd left here at 3 15.

"Where on Earth have you been?" he asked.

"At St Michael's Manor having afternoon tea, of course. Why?"

"So you've been there for FIVE HOURS???" :shock: "What on Earth have you been doing?"

"Eating cakes and chatting, of course."

"But we spent all yesterday evening with them. What ever do you find to talk about?"

Now there, my friends, is a very interesting question. I have NO IDEA. But it was fun, all the same. :lol: :lol:

Laura

#5357 Post by Laura » Sun May 15, 2011 9:32 pm

Why do people assume you have to talk ABOUT something? With a good friend, the topics of conversation are never ending, completely interchangeable, and often totally unintelligible to everyone else around. That's why it's so much fun!!!

MBH
King of the Swingers

#5358 Post by MBH » Sun May 15, 2011 11:52 pm

Odd thread this - I'm never posting on it then I'm here twice in a weekend.

This afternoon I've had a great couple of hours doing a bit of music. Attended a class for "Steel Pans for Beginners".. Yeah - a bit of Trinidad here at the Sage Gateshead.

About 15 of us spread out around the four styles of pans - a bit like the 4 vocal voices but all the names are different :roll:

For the first tune she asked for those that had some musical knowledge - so I ended up on one of the top sounding pans doing the melody for "Coconut Woman" [which I MUST check for on Youtube - as I hadn't heard of it].

Then it was 'all change' and I ended up on the set of 6 base pans (think full-sized oil drums). The notes were far easier, but the sound was fantastic :D :D

The notes were marked as their letters, but there didn't seem much reason or logic behind the layout. The different toned pans also each had different layouts. Very strange.

The teacher was very enthusiastic and encouraging, and she got a good sound out of all of us. There are classes on during the week, and it is very tempting to join and see what it is like.... we'll see.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5359 Post by Bunnylump » Mon May 16, 2011 12:10 am

:shock: Wow MBH, have you promised yourself that you're going to lead a more exciting leisure time or something? :lol: I've always fancied trying steel pans. :D I like the nice mellow sound they make.

MBH
King of the Swingers

#5360 Post by MBH » Mon May 16, 2011 7:33 am

Just coincidence that things happen at once :roll: To combine things I now need to get a set of pans into the Victoria Tunnel - there is a section that has been 'lined' with about 6-inches of of concrete making it into a tube and the sound quality was amazing [aparently they had a group of singers down there once].

I found the first tune we played, and listening to it I'm thinking it would be better on the cookery thread rather than the music thread :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqrfDho4Ucg