Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
Laura

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#5441 Post by Laura » Tue May 31, 2011 9:12 am

But would you want to eat a cake that roars at you, as you come at it with the knife???

giraffe
Twigi

#5442 Post by giraffe » Tue May 31, 2011 9:47 am

YES! :mrgreen:

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#5443 Post by clvrlad » Tue May 31, 2011 10:52 am

if it was chocolate.....yes
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

chazzie

#5444 Post by chazzie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:32 pm

..... really thankful weather in Gib yesterday and overnight was calm.

Attached photo taken from balcony of my flat in Gib. Explosion of oil tank happened 3.30pm yesterday - just as a cruise liner was moored just behind where this tank was. Finally fire was put out around dawn this morning.

If we had the normal breezy weather suspect the fire and smoke would have been going across the land rather than upwards!
Attachments
IMG00022-20110531-2133.jpg
IMG00022-20110531-2133.jpg (35.93 KiB) Viewed 1213 times

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#5445 Post by MBH » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:48 pm

Wow - dramatic photograph. Hope everyone was OK and the clean-up went smoothly.

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#5446 Post by tricia » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:07 pm

hope it is all cleared up and no lasting polution

Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

chazzie

#5447 Post by chazzie » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:45 pm

Reports are one person with very serious burns, one policeman with minor injuries + 10 people on the cruise ship with minor injuries - thankful because it could have been far worse.

Its hard to believe looking out tonight what was going on this time yesterday.

And one of the positives - despite the frictions with Spain in this little part of the world - last night Spain completely onside in helping out

BassBloke
Currently reading: Yamaha FS1-E restoration guide. Oh yas!

#5448 Post by BassBloke » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:35 pm

Today. I are mostly bin............ getting nettled. Ouch, itch, ouch, ouch, itch etc etc. :cry:

I have a corner of the orchard which has kind of been left to run amok with ground eldar and nettles. Oh YES. Today was NETTLE day. Despite taking, what I thought were, adequate precautions and being VERY VERY careful, I have managed to completely nettle both forarms. That was around 4 this aft. It's now half eight-ish and I'm still itching and scratching.

The thing that really puzzles me though is how can the cats, who came along to help in thier usual totally non-helping feline kind of way, not get netted? They were scrubbing around in the patch and jumping on the discard pile. What do they know that I dont? No, don't answer that. I learned long ago not to underestimate the wisdom of cats. :) Oh, and their crass stupidity sometimes as well. :lol:

Cheers. BB.
Durin' "Africa", I Are Mostly Bin Playin' - "Nile be watching you".

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#5449 Post by LAT » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:06 pm

Golly, that looks scarily close Chazzie, as you say, it sounds as though it could have been a lot worse.

And BB we were discussing just a couple of days ago the fact that our cats wander through the nettles with impunity. Must be somthing to do with their fur coats I guess. Or maybe they go underneath the itchy bit. :?

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#5450 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:13 pm

Goodness, Chazzie, that was frightening!! :o

...I've mostly bin driving back from Cornwall. Stoopid doopid decided to pay attention to the signs which announced the serious accident which was causing major problems for about 4 junctions round the junction of the M4 M5. So instead I drove along the A303 which meant I encountered the M25 at rush hour AND and accident. :evil: Hey ho.

Still, we (my daughter and I) had a good trip - making the most of my son's last month of having a flat down there. On Tuesday we walked down to the sea and had a nice meal in the cafe on the beach. Yesterday we went to Glendurgan Garden.http://www.bbc.co.uk/cornwall/content/a ... ture.shtml. It was lovely, the garden is in a steep valley which goes down to a little beach on the river Helford. We had fun spinning round on the "Giant's Ride" (while kids were waiting to have a go! :mrgreen: ) and managed to negotiate the maze AND get back out. :D

Six hundred and fifty miles is a long way to drive over the space of 3 days for me though. I'm SHATTERED.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

Redfraggle
Glamorous Granny
Currently reading: 50 Shades of Grey

#5451 Post by Redfraggle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:48 pm

Today we had our filming for the Heritage project. It all went brilliantly, the weather was great, the kids behaved and the film-makers were very chilled and made everything run smoothly. I was totally freaking about the whole thing but it turned out much better than I expected. :D

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#5452 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:37 am

Are we going to get to see it? ('Cos I'd love to!!) :D
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

Redfraggle
Glamorous Granny
Currently reading: 50 Shades of Grey

#5453 Post by Redfraggle » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:49 am

The DVD should be ready about September time. i have to interview all the elderly people during the summer, then it will all be edited and put into the DVD. The elderly people will talk about their childhoods and then it will break into the children playing throughout. I'll make sure you can all get a copy because it will accompany a book. :D

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#5454 Post by tricia » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:44 am

That sounds fantastic - I'd love to see it

Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

giraffe
Twigi

#5455 Post by giraffe » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:41 am

.......chasing ants round the kitchen. :evil: I've put powder down outside where I think they are coming in, an ant trap down inside by the french doors, and washed the kitchen floor. Now I've found them on the table. :(

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#5456 Post by gill216 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Remove the trap and follow them. Its not where they are coming from its where they are going to. I found a sticky sweet at the end of the trail when I had an outbreak of them when the children were small. :roll:
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#5457 Post by gill216 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:15 pm

Yesterday I bought an unused electric carving knife in our local charity shop while I was buying books. it cost me all of £2 plus a plug to put on it. Its obviously been an unwanted gift and come from a house clearance of some description. Because of the plug wiring I knew it was quite old so I looked the model up and its 60's in brand new condition, boxed, all instructions. It even has the packet with the rawl plug and wall screws still in it. Now I don't know whether to use it or keep it as it is and sell it as an antique. Is it 40 or 50 years for antiques?
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

giraffe
Twigi

#5458 Post by giraffe » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:20 pm

They were going from the window to the bin. I think they were still at the exploring stage, because the ones I had removed from the food prep end of the kitchen floor yesterday didn't seem to have returned, they were all under the table and near the bin. I have mopped the floor again and scrubbed the table. The powder seems to have stopped any more from coming in for now (there weren't any in the kitchen when I went in just now) I just hope the rain doesn't wash the powder away before it does it's job. The sealant round the french doors needs redoing, so that might stop them too.

I had an electric carving knife as a wedding present, but couldn't get on with it and got rid of it. So my vote is for sell it!

giraffe
Twigi

#5459 Post by giraffe » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Mopped kitchen floor for a third time, and not an ant to be seen! I just hope they don't come back tonight. (I think they are most active in the evenings.)

kathlyn

#5460 Post by kathlyn » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:57 pm

The electric knife will probably be of better quality than anything you can buy today. My reason for saying that is the one I threw away last year, that had ground to a halt, I bought in 1969 never had any problems with it 'til i it wore out and the replacement one is useless even though it's endorsed by a well known TV chef!!
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!