Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#5581 Post by gill216 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:18 pm

I forgot to tell you that the other day I met a young man on the train.................Does this sound familiar? He was on the very first stage of a years adventure back-packing around Australia. My copy of USA ended up going with him. What was really funny was when I told him I wasn't taking him from Kings Cross station to St Pancras tube because if he couldn't do that on his own then there was no way he should be going solo around Australia :twisted: . Another lady took pity on him and he said he would follow her. He decided on the spot that was how he was going to get around. He was going to talk to people and follow them. :lol: He did promise to turn up here and tell me he had managed to get himself to Aussie. So Luke, if you do turn up then you are already outed.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#5582 Post by LAT » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:31 pm

When my son arrived in his first destination on his round the world trip (LA) he got a local bus into town as it was cheaper. He heard another passenger talking to someone mention that they were on their way to the area he had booked a hostel bed in and thought "I'll follow him" then he heard him mention that he had just got out of jail and thought "maybe not" :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#5583 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:26 pm

Wonder what this is all about?
http://www.youtube.com/JKRowlingAnnounces
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

giraffe
Twigi

#5584 Post by giraffe » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Well she did say she wouldn't rule out writing another book set in her HP universe.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5585 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:33 pm

It went through to that from this link
http://www.pottermore.com/ when you click on the owls.

LAT
Nagging Nora

#5586 Post by LAT » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:47 pm

Yes I read something about this in the news a couple of days ago. I guess we will find out on Thursday. :D

dramaticat

#5587 Post by dramaticat » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:24 pm

... returning from holiday.

Holiday was good, journey back was :mrgreen: Four hours throwing up on a ferry (that was yesterday!) and I still feel awful.

Perhaps I shouldn't travel any more. After all, look what happens when I get on a train from Durham to London ... ;)
Dear Mr Optimist, Mr Pessimist and Mr Realist, While you were arguing about the glass of water, I drank it! Yours sincerely, Mr Opportunist.

LAT
Nagging Nora

#5588 Post by LAT » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:30 pm

Oh you poor thing Dramaticat, that sounds pretty dire. :(

Are you saying you still haven't recovered from your train journey from Durham to London either? A certain young man must have something to answer for. :twisted: ;)

dramaticat

#5589 Post by dramaticat » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:35 pm

Yes, yesterday's boat trip was more than dire for a lot of the passengers! I was always badly travel sick as a child - I've mostly got over it now, but boats are still a problem. If only I'd realised that before we started, I would have taken something for it.

And as for that train journey, look where it led me!!!
Dear Mr Optimist, Mr Pessimist and Mr Realist, While you were arguing about the glass of water, I drank it! Yours sincerely, Mr Opportunist.

giraffe
Twigi

#5590 Post by giraffe » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:57 pm

We went by hovercraft to France for our honeymoon, and it was incredibly rough. I get quite seasick, and was just holding it together thinking "It's a 35 minute crossing we must be nearly there", 40 minutes into the trip the captain came on the tannoy and told us we were halfway!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5591 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:04 pm

He is a total nightmare, that brother of mine. I personally think he has a LOT to answer for...however not quite as much to answer for as a certain Jester. :lol: That sounds like a horrific journey. Mind you, if you ask me, ANY journey which I'm not in control of is a nightmare journey. And as far as the rest of the planet is concerned, any journey I AM in control of is a nightmare for them... :lol:

I get seasick, but that's not anything to worry about compared to the sense of total panic I experience when on a ferry / plane. I can just about keep myself under control on a train these days, but the huge adrenaline rush makes me incredibly manic when I finally get to my destination. Well, that's my excuse for being a headcase and I'm sticking to it... :lol: :mrgreen:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#5592 Post by LAT » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:28 pm

I'm not a fan of hovercrafts, I like to be able to get out into fresh air if I'm on a choppy sea crossing. That's the best antidote for sea-sickness I find.

giraffe
Twigi

#5593 Post by giraffe » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:49 pm

Yes, clinging to the rail is my favoured position, but I've only once been on a ferry since the hovercraft experience. If going to the continent we usually go by tunnel.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5594 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:52 pm

Ugh, shudder, tunnels...

giraffe
Twigi

#5595 Post by giraffe » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:00 pm

Yes, but it's quick and doesn't make me sick, so is the lesser of many evils. The worst problem we've had on the tunnel train was when baby K knocked her dad's contact lens out just as we were about to drive off the train, causing a quick switch of drivers to prevent a traffic jam. The lens turned up three days later on the car mat, and continued to be used (after cleaning) for another ten years!

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#5596 Post by MBH » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:58 pm

dramaticat wrote: Perhaps I shouldn't travel any more. After all, look what happens when I get on a train from Durham to London ... ;)
Hmmm... my company compared with throwing up for hours - that does a guy's confidence the world of good :roll:
LAT wrote:Are you saying you still haven't recovered from your train journey from Durham to London either? A certain young man must have something to answer for. :twisted: ;)
Bunnylump wrote:He is a total nightmare, that brother of mine. I personally think he has a LOT to answer for...
Oi!!!! What is this??
giraffe wrote:We went by hovercraft to France for our honeymoon, and it was incredibly rough. I get quite seasick, and was just holding it together thinking "It's a 35 minute crossing we must be nearly there", 40 minutes into the trip the captain came on the tannoy and told us we were halfway!
Oddly enough, I could have typed this exact post - wasn't September '87 was it? Or maybe the channel is always like that :(
LAT wrote:I'm not a fan of hovercrafts, I like to be able to get out into fresh air.
Yes - there was a distinct feeling of being trapped :( :(
dramaticat wrote:I was always badly travel sick as a child - I've mostly got over it now, but boats are still a problem.
Me too, in both respects. I think the concentraton of driving cured my car sickness (although I still don't dare read as a passenger) - but a ferry to Holland a lot of years ago confirmed that I am a lousy sailor. If I was able to simple 'look after myself' I would be fine - but when you have others to think about........
Bunnylump wrote:I can just about keep myself under control on a train these days, but the huge adrenaline rush makes me incredibly manic.
We really need to take a train ride together (despite the horrible comments above :P ) - I'm sure I can keep you calm and relaxed so we can break this problem.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5597 Post by Bunnylump » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:10 am

Aw, you know I was pulling your leg...and where would I be without you? Answer: probably NOT on here driving myself round the bend with impossible puzzles... :lol:

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#5598 Post by gill216 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:14 am

My son was a dreadful traveller in general when he was young but has grown out of it. We had a particulary bad channel crossing when he was about 5 and someone told me to get him to the lowest part of the ferry and as central as possible because thats where there is least motion on a choppy sea. Not only did it work for him it was also the bar. Result!!
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#5599 Post by tricia » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:30 am

Bunnylump wrote: Answer: probably NOT on here driving myself round the bend with impossible puzzles... :lol:
:o I was cleaning out some of my saved files and I came upon one titled 'PottyBunny' :lol: :mrgreen:

Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#5600 Post by MBH » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:40 am

At the bar on Saturday night I solved TWO of the puzzles in my photocopy of the USA mag. Imagine my disapointment when I looked back at the orignial and found they are not ones that need answers typed it.

I was so looking forward to typing the answer "My Twin" for one of them ;)