Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
giraffe
Twigi

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#5681 Post by giraffe » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:45 pm

Well done Laura, fingers crossed for the second batch.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#5682 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:53 pm

It's nerve-wracking, waiting for pupil results, isn't it? Good luck with the others, too!
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

Looby

#5683 Post by Looby » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:35 pm

Giraffe - she looks stunning!
There's no point in having a last minute if you don't use it!

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#5684 Post by MBH » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:00 pm

I hope K is having a great time - she certainly looks lovely in that photo.
giraffe wrote:he couldn't believe that the little dot he started teaching ten years ago had grown into such a young lady all of a sudden.
Yes - it's odd how a decade can have such an effect at THAT age - :lol: :D Where as WE don't look any different ;)

giraffe
Twigi

#5685 Post by giraffe » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:02 pm

Let's hope we can sort her hair out for tomorrow (hairdresser used a lot of cement on it) as she's wearing "your" jacket to her induction day! :lol:

edit (Message to Looby not MBH!)

pebbles

#5686 Post by pebbles » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:41 am

giraffe, she's beautiful! :D Hope she had a lovely time.

Laura, congratulations to your 2 pupils and hoping for good news for your other 2! :D

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#5687 Post by tricia » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:57 am

I hope K had a great time - K you looked absolutely stunning

Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#5688 Post by clvrlad » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:58 am

Bunnylump wrote:

I'm now looking forward to the challenge for my nephew's birthday - they are having a "make the best dinosaur cake" competition next month. With prizes (he will be 26, by the way!!). I INTEND to win. :mrgreen: Mind you, as one of the contenders is my brother, who thought it would be a great plan to "make" a food mixer the last time he made a cake, by bending a wire coathanger into a whisk shape and adding it to his electric drill...and most of the cake ended up on the ceiling... I think I stand a reasonable chance! :lol:

how did it go??

oh btw
click the thumbnail on this page to see a most impressive Millennium Falcon wedding cake, complete with lights http://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/commen ... ed_by_the/
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5689 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:28 pm

Well, because I was driving to and from Cornwall on the Friday and SAturday, I didn't have time to do my best effort, since I only had the Sunday morning to make and decorate the cake AND to make spicy chicken pieces. However, it wasn't a bad effort (it was a TRex with its jaws open and milk bottle sweets for teeth). It did taste nice though. :D :D There were entries from my nephew's girlfriend, my brother, and my niece too. My niece won the prize with her green, 3D dinosaur complete with googly eyes. I was quite jealous of the prize though, it was a dinosaur space hopper! :lol: Anyway, she has promised to get another one and bring it round to mine for a spacehopper challenge in the garden. :lol:

And today I have mostly bin...
doing year 10 work experience visits. I went to a garage, where the poor lad wasn't allowed to DO anything because of the dangerous machinery, so had to spend a week WATCHING people, then went to a Montessouri nursery and watched the little kids being taught to read by our pupil who can hardly read herself... :roll: Then I went to the Engineering Industry Training Board where the lad had been in three different departments, had fitted in really well and was really enjoying himself. So that was quite satisfying. :D It made a nice change to get out and about.

giraffe
Twigi

#5690 Post by giraffe » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:50 pm

K used dangerous machinery on her work experience. Sharp knives, blow torches and a machine for polishing flutes that they said was too dangerous, but let her use on the last day.

I was having a couple of tyres changed yesterday and there was a notice at the first garage I tried that said something like:

"Would customers kindly refrain from helping to change tyres, batteries and (something) and not loiter in the work area. This is for your own health and safety." made me laugh.

Wulfruna

#5691 Post by Wulfruna » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:04 pm

What a lovely picture of our Kingsley (funny, she doesn't look anything like her old avatar :lol: ) Hope she had a wonderful time.

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#5692 Post by eirian » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:23 pm

a friend of mine needed some work doing on their landrover. They didn't trust the garage, so her OH, who's an engineer, took all his own safety equipment (steel toed boots included) and got his boss to arrange insurance, just so the garage didn't have any excuse for keeping him out of the workshop! :lol:
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#5693 Post by LAT » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:55 pm

.....at Hampton Court Palace Flower show. Had a great day, walked miles, and also came home with a few plants and seeds. And lots of leaflets.
Lots of thanks to a friendly rag doll who arranged it, bought the tickets and even drove me there and back. :D

Now all I need is to win one of the competitions to win a holiday that I entered. :D

Looby

#5694 Post by Looby » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:59 pm

... at Hampton Court Flower Show. Had a great day and walked miles and bought a few things. Some people complained they were tired and we had to sit down for tea and cake in the afternoon!
There's no point in having a last minute if you don't use it!

giraffe
Twigi

#5695 Post by giraffe » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:23 pm

Sounds like a great day out. I hope that sitting eating cake has been factored into the August Bunnylump hike!

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#5696 Post by clvrlad » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:47 pm

LAT wrote: Now all I need is to win one of the competitions to win a holiday that I entered. :D
be careful
i entered a competition to win a holiday and not too long afterwards started getting cold calls from a time share company
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5697 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:58 pm

giraffe wrote:Sounds like a great day out. I hope that sitting eating cake has been factored into the August Bunnylump hike!
Seriously, no major hike planned - and do you SERIOUSLY think I wouldn't include cake AND /OR ice cream AND / OR a pub in anything I plan? :lol: :lol:

If the final route doesn't incorporate a good enough cake place, I will make you a special puzzlebrains cake myself. My specialities include gooey chocolate or lemon drizzle. :D

Today I've mostly bin...
Completing my last day this term. :D :D :D :D YAY! It was year 6 taster day, so I was to be found:
Making a volcano.
Dancing and singing in the middle of the circle (including "boogieing down!!") and playing a cowbell.
Holding a conversation in French. :lol:

Have come home armed with a big bouquet of flowers and a very tempting looking bottle of red wine. :D

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#5698 Post by tricia » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:37 pm

Don't know what's going on - Police helicopter hovering above my house. Can't see anything in the street- maybe it will be in the local paper next week. Its the start of the school holidays so perhaps some kids messing about

Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5699 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:14 pm

I've just read the local paper and wish I hadn't. Two men killed on a motorbike because they were driving at 100mph in a 50 limit, a teenager stabbed near the town centre at 11 30 am, :shock: and some bloke being prosecuted for sticking his head under the cubicles in the swimming pool and looking at 6 year olds. :evil: What's the world coming to?

Anyway, my boy's helping me take my mind off it by standing about 3 feet away from me with his Kaoss Pad* and amp, playing his electric guitar - currently listening to "Teardrop" (Massive Attack). He's very good, it's hard to believe one person can do all that at the same time with the electronic gadgetry. Trouble is, I'll have that song in my head for about a week now... :lol:

*Bassbloke - you'd love it. It's brilliant fun. :D

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#5700 Post by Scurra » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:57 pm

Bunnylump wrote:I've just read the local paper and wish I hadn't. Two men killed on a motorbike because they were driving at 100mph in a 50 limit, a teenager stabbed near the town centre at 11 30 am, :shock: and some bloke being prosecuted for sticking his head under the cubicles in the swimming pool and looking at 6 year olds. :evil: What's the world coming to?
Hmmm. Someone's pushed my button again. :lol: But... several thousand people went out on motorbikes and weren't killed, plenty of teenagers weren't even in an argument let along a stabbing, and lots of blokes went to the swimming pool and had a swim.

The newspaper is there to report news. Someone crossing the road perfectly safely isn't news. Someone getting knocked down is. The fact that the latter is massively outnumbered by the former doesn't change that. But if it makes you happier to think that the world is going to hell in handcart, then that's up to you.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".