Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
Scurra
Alias the Jester

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#5721 Post by Scurra » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:57 pm

Oh dear. We are going to have the full half-hour, aren't we? :lol: Yes, there were indeed 12-15 year olds involved in that culture. Does that mean that all 12-15 year olds were Mods or Rockers, or that all Mods and Rockers were 12-15 years old? I don't think so.

Here's the danger of extrapolation: I happen to know that all teenagers are very polite and well-behaved. I base this on the incontrovertible evidence of meeting some who have been members of this forum. Are you in fact telling me that they actually go round stabbing people, having sex and smoking drugs?

edit: I've just been watching the coverage of the Harry Potter premiere, which appeared to be entirely populated by 12-15 year olds, and the worst they were doing was screaming a lot. :lol:
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#5722 Post by eirian » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:05 am

I'm afraid I have to agree with Scurra here.

It's all to do with personal experience. I've recently had a fascinating conversation about our relative experiences with my OH. My experience of growing up was of no sex/drugs/alcohol (or at least very limited of the last) amongst by peers. OHs was very much the opposite.

But when I think back, even at my all girls, CofE school, there were a few who knew which pubs would serve them underage, and we had a girl in a lower year who 'went missing' for a while when she had a baby.

As for the media. What really annoys me is when they can't see the difference between 'in the public interest' and 'the public is interested in'...
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#5723 Post by clvrlad » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:56 pm

i saw lots of things at high school....

drugs
under age sex
guns

all from the pupils i hasten to add

"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"
who said this?
often attributed to Plato, 4th Century BC
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

giraffe
Twigi

#5724 Post by giraffe » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:33 pm

.........driving. :( Set off 8.30 am got in about 2pm. Same yesterday.

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#5725 Post by clvrlad » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:59 pm

:-o
what you been upto?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

giraffe
Twigi

#5726 Post by giraffe » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:04 pm

Taking my mother to her aunt's funeral. Very short service, met old relatives, and some young ones. Not sure who they all were. (Mum seemed a bit confused about who was married to whom!)

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#5727 Post by tricia » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:05 pm

Had a disaster of a day - opened a cupboard in the kitchen and forgot it was opened - I now have a rather large bump on my head and a small cut, got into work spilt a glass of water all over my desk - fortunately missing the compter, and have now managed to cut my elbow - no idea how that happened. Thats three things so I should manage to drive home safely :lol:

Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#5728 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:23 pm

Do you want the five-minute argument or the full half-hour?
I don't want an argument of any description.

We are both entitled to our own opinions. Mine is that there is a real problem with casual usage of weapons, drug abuse and underage, unprotected sex. Yours is that it's always been like that. Trust me, I have seen the devastation of young lives that this culture causes, and have had to be instrumental in picking up the pieces after it has happened. And all I can tell you is that it would be so much easier if the problems were dealt with before it got to that level rather than saying "it's always been like that".

That is NOT to say that there are masses of bright, pleasant, well mannered, hard working young people AS WELL. Of course there are. I have never disputed this, and I work with lots of those too. :D
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#5729 Post by Scurra » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:41 pm

Bunnylump wrote:And all I can tell you is that it would be so much easier if the problems were dealt with before it got to that level rather than saying "it's always been like that".
Whoah! Hold on a second.
You said:
Bunnylump wrote:What's the world coming to?
Bunnylump wrote:But I do think that this phenomenon of kids carrying knives IS a worrying, new thing which needs to be dealt with.
Bunnylump wrote:Gang culture is FAR more prevalent and far more accepted as the norm these days, as is very early sexual activity and promiscuity.
All I did was to point out that "It's always been like that". At no point did I ever say that I thought this was good, or that people shouldn't go out of their way to do something about it. Please don't try to make out that I am some sort of amoral bastard. :lol:
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Laura

#5730 Post by Laura » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:52 pm

Right. Erm, moving on.

Today, I've made the most mis-shapen pizza I've ever seen, and considering I've made pizzas with 7-year-olds, that's saying something! It fell off the edges of the plate, but was absolutely delicious, so I don't care about the wonkiness!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5731 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:02 pm

Scurra wrote: Please don't try to make out that I am some sort of amoral bastard. :lol:
:shock: :o :lol: Anyone who's ever met you (or met me for that matter) would never think that I would ever suggest such a thing, and would certainly never think you are anything other than a total pussycat. :lol: :lol: Apologies if I just wrecked your macho image... :lol:

Laura, wonky pizzas are the way to go. My food always LOOKS like a dog's breakfast - presentation was never my strong point. But in general it tastes pretty good! :lol:

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#5732 Post by gill216 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:05 pm

You mean the pink rabbit ears didn't already wreck the macho image ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5733 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:12 pm

I think he looked lovely in the pink fluffy ears! :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5734 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:00 pm

...Having a musical weekend.
Yesterday, I walked down to Box Moor for "Music on the Moor" with some of my friends.http://www.boxmoortrust.org.uk/news-a-e ... -2011.html This is a bi-annual event, which is free for the local community. Yesterday, there was rock and pop music and today it's jazz, blues, easy listening and classical.

Bizarrely, yesterday was also the Wigginton music festival.http://www.irhh.org/home/whatson/databa ... stival.pdf So after an afternoon at Boxmoor, we walked back, got the drums loaded up and drove to Wigginton. My husband was part of the closing act "The Classics". So I met up with another set of friends and sat and listened to lots more music. Oh, and had rather a lot of local 6% cloudy cider... :oops: :lol:

So, off shortly with more friends (and my son, who is a volunteer for the Boxmoor Trust (usually he's doing conservation related things, but this time I suspect he'll be more of a bouncer... :lol: :lol: ) to sit with a picnic and a bottle of red wine (hair of the dog after last night's cider?) to chill out and listen to some great jazz singers and the various orchestras. I notice they also have jazz workshops and a ukulele workshop. So perhaps we'll take Dibble's ukulele with us too. :D

I should have made this weekend be the meet weekend, shouldn't I? It woujld have been activities laid on without me having to lift a finger... :lol:

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#5735 Post by MBH » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:19 pm

Sounds like a fantastic weekend :) Good for you.

I've been down to the Town Moor this morning to support a couple of friends in the 5K Race For Life. 7000 women dressed in a variety of PINK is an interesting sight first thing on a Sunday morning :shock:

Lovely sunny day with the clouds looming. Hope everyone gets back before they 'break'.

giraffe
Twigi

#5736 Post by giraffe » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:58 pm

Yesterday I went to London with my husband, to Kew the Music. Brian Ferry and Sophie Ellis Bexter at Kew gardens entertaining clients of OH. Stayed in a very nice hotel in Richmond, and generally had a great evening. Had to leave first thing this morning to get back and then took Kingsley to an Orchestra course in Malvern for the week, so my fourth consecutive day spent in the car :roll: .

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5737 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:02 pm

I can't claim Sophie Ellis Bexter or Bryan Ferry, but have had a very enjoyable part two of the musical weekend. Took a picnic and chairs and sat in the sunshine with some friends, watching:
the Dacorum Youth Orchestra
A jazz fusion band
A jazz funk band
A blues band
Some guy who sang Michael Buble style stuff
A choir
A big band who were playing things like Mack the Knife and Chattenaga Choo-choo
A salsa band
A symphony orchestra.

Unfortunately, the rain started half way through the symphony orchestra's finale, and everyone had to pack up and leave. But despite that, had another lovely day. :D (Shame, as ever, that my OH is off practising for a show, so couldn't come, but there you go).

MBH
King of the Swingers

#5738 Post by MBH » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:59 pm

I would have LOVED to have joined you at that Sis - what a great selection :D

Glad you had a good time even if he couldn't be there with you.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5739 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:00 pm

Although, MBH, you did actually come up in conversation. I was saying to Janet "MBH would have loved this. I should have got him down here. The only problem is he probably would have had me dancing around the picnic tables..." :lol:

MBH
King of the Swingers

#5740 Post by MBH » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:15 pm

A Salsa Band and a Big Band? You BET you would have been dancing :lol: