I'm Busy Reading....

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
Scurra
Alias the Jester

Re: I'm Busy Reading....

#41 Post by Scurra » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Whereas you can tell I'm a geek (or is that a nerd?!) because I do that with The Lord of the Rings (re-read it about every five years or so.) Then again, I imagine eirian might do the same. And she's not a geek or a nerd. At least I don't think she is :lol:
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#42 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:04 pm

I've re read the Titus Groan books several times. I must be an uber-geek! :ugeek:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#43 Post by LAT » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:08 pm

Whereas I just re-read the Harry Potter books :roll:

What does that make me?

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#44 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:11 pm

Potty? :lol:

Mind you, I read them to my kids when they first came out. Then I read them for me, and finally I listened to Stephen Fry reading them on a CD because I was too lazy to read them myself again!

kathlyn

#45 Post by kathlyn » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:11 pm

LAT -A big kid :lol: I too enjoy them :D
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

LAT
Nagging Nora

#46 Post by LAT » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:15 pm

A potty big kid then :D

and I get something more out of them each time too. Little details that I hadn't noticed before.

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#47 Post by eirian » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:21 pm

Scurra wrote:Whereas you can tell I'm a geek (or is that a nerd?!) because I do that with The Lord of the Rings (re-read it about every five years or so.) Then again, I imagine eirian might do the same. And she's not a geek or a nerd. At least I don't think she is :lol:
that's about right, although I don't really need to read it ever again having read it every 6 months between the ages of 13 and 16. (so much that parents bought me hardback versions to stop me wearing their copies out).
I reckon I read books I really like about 5 times in as many years nowadays, and then they join the re-read every 5 years system. So, yes, I have read the early Potters about 5 times so far.
I'm trying really hard to stop reading books so many times, but if you know that, when you are in need of a good cry, the first chapter of Anne McCaffrey's Dragonsong or Anne of Green Gables, will do that, then it's hard to resist!

Oh, and I'm not sure that my work colleagues would agree that I'm not a geek or nerd :lol: :shock: :oops:
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

kathlyn

#48 Post by kathlyn » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:24 pm

I read all the Anne McCaffrey dragon books years ago. :D
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#49 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:28 pm

Eirian, make the most of it. Very soon you'll not be able to read at all. You'll find yourself re-reading the same sentence 26 times and still thinking "what was that again?" It's called baby-brain. I haven't yet met a mother who hasn't experienced it!! :lol:

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#50 Post by MBH » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:03 am

Bunnylump wrote:Potty? :lol:
OK - I'm not ashamed to hold my hands up as more than a bit 'Potty'. Each new book that came out I re-read the series in preparation. [Oh! So did everyone else... fair enough] Although I didn't bother for the "Tales of Beadle the Bard" that I got for Christmas and had read by Boxing Day :lol:

I haven't re-read any Tolkein for a long time, but that's just because I'm always seeing new stuff in the library. Once I latch onto a 'series' I tend to grab the next one when it comes onto the library shelves. When I'm at work I'll do a posting to this thread with my 'booklist' in front of me.

giraffe
Twigi

#51 Post by giraffe » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:34 am

:oops: I'm potty too! In the last couple of weeks I have reread the first five and a half. (again) I watch the films while I'm ironing too. :oops:

kingsley

#52 Post by kingsley » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:33 am

Me too. Giraffe and I have been fighting over the books! We used to listen to them in the car as well, not because we were too lazy to read them, but because fernando throws a tantrum if we listen to radio 5!

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#53 Post by clvrlad » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:38 pm

err well been re-reading dragon magazine issue 345

that was july 2006 issue for all you non dnd-geeks
:-D

oh and the worlds largest dugeon.........
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#54 Post by MBH » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:48 pm

I promised to share some of the 'series' (is that plural?) that I'm always on the lookout for the next installment. There are a number of prominent female horror writers. They include:

Laurell K Hamilton: Anita Blake series AND Merry Gentry series. I know - not for the younger readers ;)

Kim Harrison - Rachel Morgan series. Titles based on Clint Eastwood movies (starts with "Dead Witch Walking"), and she regularly has me howling with laughter. Wicked woman :twisted:

Kelly Armstrong - Otherworld series - a different 'narrator' for the story in each book, which I'd not come across quite so blatently before. {OK - Xanth was similar in this way} She's also started another non-magical series with a good old fashioned Assassin as the star.

Trudi Canavan - The Black Magician Trilogy and the Age Of The Five Trilogy - very good character development in a story that sucks you in.

From the 'kids' end of the library:

Anthony Horowitz - Alex Rider series and Power Of 5 series. Good storyteller, but borrows blatently rather than subtly (Alex Rider IS James Bond) :D

Chris Ryan - the SAS guy - did a series of 7 books about a group of kids calling themselves ALPHA. Very strong topics and excellent stories. Always ended up with real SAS tips about the environment the adventure had been set in (jungle, desert, etc) I'll remember his advice about cleaning a wound out by peeing on it - although he advises if you're doing it for a friend you TELL them what you plan to do first :lol:

James Patterson – Maximum Ride series - kids genetically engineered with birds. We've seen it all before (everything up to Mutant X), but good stories again. Oddly enough I tried one of his adult fictions, and the story telling wasn't as good.

Eoin Colfer - Artimis Fowl series - more laugh out loud moments :)

Mark Walden - H.I.V.E - where the bad guys are the stars. Wonderful reverse role stories that pull slightly more subtly from Ian Fleming and popular tv/film.

Derek Landy - Skulduggery Pleasant - a skeleton detective and a 12-year-old girl. FUN! (Good websites as well).

A J Butcher – Spy High - 6 books in school, then a book each for the 6 team members. Well tied together.

Malcolm Rose - Traces Series - youngest ever CSI operative set about 60-years into the future. Wonderful 'news' items, such as references to the "Four remaining top flight football teams". London is a lawless wasteland, and you've got to move up to Leeds, Birmingham, Newcastle for civilization :lol:

And just to prove its not all horror, fantasy, and kids stuff:

Mark Billingham – Tom Thorn Series - a good gritty police detective.

I've always been a Piers Anthony fan but it's been a long time since I read any:

Xanth Series / Bio of a Space Tyrant Series / Apprentice Adept / Cluster / Incarnations of Immortality

They've actually sneaked a couple of extra books on the end of a couple of them, but I'll not break my neck finding them - I've got far too much else available to read.

Any thoughts or comments always welcome - I love reading :)

clvrlad wrote:oh and the worlds largest dugeon.........
In My BRAIN :P

clvrlad

#55 Post by clvrlad » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:30 pm

hmmmm seem not to be seeing mything some ;-)

err cant remember the authers name but its a series myth inc link, myth conceptions are two of them and yes myth does tend to be in the title with bad puns also a phule series ;-) phules company and associated bookes
like i said cant remember the authers name but for some reason i can remember that he stopped cause of tax complications and had an agreement with them that any solely authered books profits were theres...think he mostly did co-auther books then on.......

SparkOut
International Man of Mystery

#56 Post by SparkOut » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:43 pm

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#57 Post by Scurra » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:36 pm

For those who are a bit Potty, all I can say is that Diana Wynne Jones knocks JKR into a cocked hat.

Currently reading: Q and A. It'd make a fantastic movie. :wink:
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

LAT
Nagging Nora

#58 Post by LAT » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:39 pm

:D

clvrlad

#59 Post by clvrlad » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:34 am

SparkOut wrote:Do you mean Robert Asprin? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Asprin
lol see i was right :-D

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#60 Post by Scurra » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:24 pm

Since this may prove to be quite entertaining, I've added a "custom field" to your profile.
If you click on "User Control Panel" at the top, and then "Profile" you will see "Currently reading:" at the bottom.
If you put something in there, it will show up on your posts elsewhere in the forum. If you don't want to admit to anything, then leave it blank :D