Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
giraffe
Twigi

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#6621 Post by giraffe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:10 pm

I think sometimes the metal posts the knobs are on gets hot and expands, particularly if they are over the oven, which cracks the plastic.

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#6622 Post by LAT » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:40 pm

This hob is rather older than that. In fact it is about 26 years old I think. :roll: So maybe we should think about a new one. Which unfortunately probably means a new kitchen. :(
But I think I might have found a source for my hob knobs. :D

Spent the day in London today on a course. The good thing is that we got more than half way through the material to be covered so tomorrow we will hopefully finish a bit early. Oh and I managed to read quite a bit on the train which was good. Not so easy to read when you drive to work! :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#6623 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:35 pm

Good to see your biscuit research paid off, LAT.

...Today I've mostly bin braving the train and meeting up with my favourite Jester. Oh, and making him carry heavy things around London. :mrgreen: We sort of vaguely looked at an exhibition in the British Library about Charles Dickens' ghost stories. Only we were so busy gossiping that we didn't really see very much of it... :lol: :lol:

Must say, my feet are a bit sore (it's probably all the dancing I did last night whilst wearing heels... :roll: -work Christmas party).
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#6624 Post by gill216 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:55 pm

Well done with the hob knobs Lat. Your hob is probably a bit like my boiler, reached it's 1/4 century, very little goes wrong with it - generally reliable -so parts are always available for it. Unlike the modern things that are always going wrong, complicated internal parts that are always being superseded by the "better"- disposable- model!!

Strange day today. I'm officially unemployed as of 3pm. One of my 2 contracts ended with the retirement at 50 of the sole director. I do have his 50th, retirement & xmas bash to look forward to on Sunday. :D The other one could be deemed political so I wont go there. Lets just say I can't continue to work for someone who has taken on a very pleasant, just qualified young lady -but who has chosen a field I cannot agree with because it compromises my principles. They did offer to show her the door and retain my services (I've been there 13 years) but who knows what is around the corner for me and she's a youngster just starting out, grateful for a job and also very likeable. My decision not hers.

I do have irons in the fire for 2012. I've probably got at least 3 months work for the new owner of my first disappearing contract. Bright young thing who needs a fair bit of support in his early days as boss instead of employee -but I reckon 3 months and he'll have the whole thing sussed. I've also volunteered for WRVS Good Neighbours in our area. I can't do nothing! 5th January I'm turning up at the hospital, have volunteered for whatever there is there a couple of hours a week and also to become a visitor to our local elderly who need shopping, transport etc. :shock:
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6625 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:45 pm

Flipping heck Gill, it's all change in your household at the moment then, isn't it? I hope it all works out ok for you.

And clearly, you are very different to me - I'd LOVE to do nothing. :lol: :lol:

Wulfruna

#6626 Post by Wulfruna » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:57 pm

Hmmmm... that leaves both Gill and LAT looking for new things to do in 2012.. :shock: Maybe Puzzlebrains might find you something to do..... :D

Wulfruna

#6627 Post by Wulfruna » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:08 pm

Re-designing our front garden.... Having had a new driveway laid with brick blocks - looking really good :D - we decided to replace the grotty lawn with blue slate chippings laid on a permeous membrane, environmentally friendly but hopefully weed-proof!
So we are spending the day laying it all down and spreading the chippings on the top. It is quite a strenuous job, but certainly one we could do ourselves, though we are having to dodge some quite squally showers in the process.....
And then we shall go to the Garden Centre to buy my Christmas present - a couple of nice new ceramic pots to put on it, initially filled with bulbs for the Spring and then some more permanent plants for the longer term.

giraffe
Twigi

#6628 Post by giraffe » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:23 pm

Our front drive was supposed to be being relaid on Monday, but it has been postponed until 5th January. Just hoping the snow doesn't arrive on the 4th.

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#6629 Post by Scurra » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:40 pm

Surely having it arrive on the 5th would be worse?!
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

giraffe
Twigi

#6630 Post by giraffe » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:51 pm

Shortly after they dig it up and before they have a chance to relay it. Yes I guess you are right.

LAT
Nagging Nora

#6631 Post by LAT » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:27 pm

Suffering from a lack of time in more ways than one.
A few days ago our grandfather stopped. I kept setting it going again but after 20 minutes or so it would stop again. Eventually after a couple of days I managed to get it to keep going and fingers crossed it's been OK for a couple of days now. Then yesterday the clock on our mantelpiece stopped. Hopefully it just needs a new battery. Finally (I hope!) my watch stopped today. :shock: I sincerely hope it just needs a new battery too.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6632 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:16 pm

Isn't it odd how things seem to go like that? I was just saying to Janet that I am waiting for either the fridge or the boiler to stop working, because they ALWAYS do that at this time of year. Then I went to the fridge to make us a cuppa, and the fridge light was out!! :shock: Fortunately, it LOOKS like it is just the bulb this time...

I've mostly bin...

trying to get my act together re Christmassy things. First, I walked all around the town delivering all the local Christmas cards (about a 4 mile round trip). Then I went and raided the garden, and Mum's garden, for festive leaves of various descriptions (eg variegated holly, variegated ivy, pine leaves, cones, apples. berries etc.) I then made a festive wreath for the front door, another one for K's house, and a huge garland of leaves and ribbons up the bannisters. Even though I say it myself, it does look really good. :D :D Mind you, the cat tried to "help" by dragging bits of ivy round the living room and playing football with the apples. :lol: The living room looks like a tornado has gone through it... :lol:

giraffe
Twigi

#6633 Post by giraffe » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:06 pm

We used to have a garland up the stairs at our old house , but the current staicase is a very odd shape and has walls both sides, so doesn't have the right sort of bannister.

I've been sticking Christmas paper over the glass doors between the lounge and dining room, to make the dining room more private as it will be a bedroom for Christmas.

LAT
Nagging Nora

#6634 Post by LAT » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:44 pm

I've just been sorting through my phone contacts. if anyone has rung me on my office mobile (in the last 10-11 months or so) please could you delete that number and revert to my personal mobile number again. And if you don't have that and want it then please PM me. I shall be having to hand back the office mobile this week. :(

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6635 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:54 pm

They're not even letting you keep the phone?? :shock: :shock: :o

LAT
Nagging Nora

#6636 Post by LAT » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:07 am

Well they're hardly going to continue to pay a phone contract for someone who is no longer employed there are they?

Who knows, I might go out to America and make loads of expensive calls. :lol:

Currently my monthly bill is always the cheapest in the office.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6637 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:15 am

Well, yes. I just thought they might let you keep the phone so you could renew the contract yourself if you wanted to. Surely they don't recycle old phones to new employees?

LAT
Nagging Nora

#6638 Post by LAT » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:20 am

It is possible I might get to keep the kit but it wouldn't have the same number. If anything I would put my personal sim into the actual phone. There's no-one to recycle the phone to.

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#6639 Post by MBH » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:34 pm

Bunnylump wrote: And clearly, you are very different to me - I'd LOVE to do nothing. :lol: :lol:
Hey :) Twin Thing :mrgreen:
LAT wrote:Suffering from a lack of time in more ways than one.
A few days ago our grandfather stopped.
Thank heavens my initial reading of that was a misunderstanding :shock: Hope you get your time problems sorted out. (Maybe you need to call The Doctor?)

Total chaos in life up here - we could really do without trying to think about Christmas. Decided today that even trying to do something special for Christmas Dinner is a non-starter. [Those that know my situation with the extension being built know how things are - those that don't know.... you don't want to :lol: Enough to say life is 'rough']

I've literally done nothing with regard to Christmas, so my thanks go out to those special people who have provided unexpected post for me :) You know I appreciate it even if I can't reciprocate ;)

My PC at home has packed in (I'm typing this from something called a MacBook Air :( by raiding the local Apple shop. Horrible keyboard - to my touch). So that is off to be looked at to find if it is mechanical or an attack from somewhere.

So - not a happy web-slinger at the moment but ploughing on.

giraffe
Twigi

#6640 Post by giraffe » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:49 pm

I hope things look up soon MBH. It sounds very frustrating.