Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#6701 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:05 pm

Well done so far, Gill. :D Actually, although I must admit to having had large quantities of alcohol, I haven't particularly had a hangover. But then that's probably because I am constantly slightly picked, I don't know... :lol: :lol:

And I made a new year resolution about 15 years ago to never again make a new year resolution. And I have stuck to that one resolutely. :lol:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#6702 Post by LAT » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:58 pm

I seem to have added a New Year's resolution last night. :o A friend was telling me about hers and she asked if I played Bridge, as one of her resolutions was to learn. Having learnt at school but never really played I found myself saying that I wouldn't mind learning with her.

chazzie

#6703 Post by chazzie » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:13 pm

Hope you enjoy the lessons LAT. I learnt at evening school some years ago now - and it was the best decision I made at the time - made some good friends and had plenty of evenings out - and good fun! Four of us got into bridge evenings where each of us would sort out a different course for a meal - plenty of good food/wine and cards! Would love to get more involved again!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6704 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:26 pm

There you go, you just need a couple of others and you can set up your own PB bridge club... :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#6705 Post by LAT » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:45 pm

Maybe we could add it to the list of lessons available at the Yorkshire meet this spring!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6706 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:51 pm

:lol: Now, there's an idea... :lol:

Don't think I can come though. Although I can tell you that bridge would definitely NOT be on my agenda. I have enough trouble with tiddlywinks... :lol:

Laura

#6707 Post by Laura » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:17 pm

Speaking of which, last night we played a new game to me - Dixit. Anyone heard of it? It's fab! (I won both games 8-) ) You get cards with pictures on, one person says a phrase, and each player has to choose one card from their hand that best fits that phrase. You then guess which was the original card. Points for getting it right, and your card being guessed.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6708 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:07 pm

No, never heard of that one. Sounds good though.

We got the QI game for Christmas. It isn't bad, but the instructions are completely rubbish. So we ignored them and made our own version up.

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#6709 Post by Scurra » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:36 pm

Bunny, the first rule of board games is never to buy one that is a "licensed" product. :D
Dixit is a fabulous game. (This will mean nothing to most people, but think of Apples to Apples with pictures.)
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

giraffe
Twigi

#6710 Post by giraffe » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:47 pm

What is apples to apples?

LAT
Nagging Nora

#6711 Post by LAT » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:48 pm

Yes, that meant nothing to me either.

My daughter asked for Bananagrams for Christmas and we played a few games of that. I enjoyed it much more than Scrabble.

giraffe
Twigi

#6712 Post by giraffe » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:59 pm

We played pictionary, but Mum got very competitive and kept wanting people to explain their drawings and how they got the answer while the timer was still running! I don't think it helped that she was paired with Stephen and they weren't really on the same wavelength, the girls were paired together and they were very much on the same wavelength. Mum seemed to think that accurate drawings were more important than speed. :roll:

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#6713 Post by Scurra » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:46 pm

Well, Apples to Apples is like Dixit only with words. So now you know. :lol:
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Laura

#6714 Post by Laura » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Flipping heck! I've played Dixit and I don't know what you're on about, so it's heaven help the rest of them!

Cenwulf
The Complete Fool
Currently reading: Schott's Miscellanies

#6715 Post by Cenwulf » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:43 pm

Apples to Apples:
Everybody gets cards with words on (Red Apples): these are nouns.
The other cards have different words on (Green Apples); these are adjectives.
One player takes a Green Apple and reads out the word on it.
Each of the other players takes a Red Apple from his hand which he/she thinks best fits the green Apple.
e.g. Green Apple 'Frightening'; Red apples could be 'My Boss', 'Angry rhinoceros', etc.
The cards are placed in the middle and passed to the first player.
The player then chooses the Red Apple he/she thinks best fits the Green Apple.
The player who had that card originally scores a point.

At least, that's what I think happens, from reading the writing on the back of the box...
Unfortunately, the number of ways of doing something wrong far exceed the number of ways of doing it right. G. Kasparov

16000 - 30/03/2017

neves-ytnewt rebmun rebmem suomynona srelzzup

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6716 Post by Bunnylump » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:03 pm

Having an interesting day. :?
We had been up to Ivinghoe Beacon for a nice walk, and decided to pop in and see my daughter on the way home. She wasn't there, so I rang her and she said she was just on her way home, so would we wait outside for 10 minutes. So, we were sitting in the car in the dark, when suddenly a car hurtled past us. with no lights on. Next thing, a big bang. We hurried straight down the road to find an oriental looking lady had smashed into a parked car. She appeared to be trying to get her car to start again. I went up and got her to wind down her window.

"I've got to get to Asda, I've left my handbag there. I have to go." She said. I tried to suggest that this was probably a bad move as she had just crashed into someone's car.

"Oh, I'm insured and I will come back," she said.

She seemed to be acting very suspiciously, so I said, well I don't personally think you should be driving, but if you are insisting, then I will have to take a note of your name, telephone number and car registration first.

She started faffing about with her phone, and said she had to go because she was so upset about her bag. I refused to go until she had given me a number and a name, but was still unhappy about letting her try to drive away. So I rang the police. Fortunately, she wasn't ABLE to move the car because (and I hadn't spotted this) her steering had obviously been broken and her front wheels were pointing in opposite directions. As she was blocking the road, and by a junction, I ended up directing traffic away from her until the police came in order to avoid another accident. As we were doing this, the woman said she "needed to go and find her friend" and started walking up the road. I didn't think I ought to try to physically restrain her, but wasn't happy about her going.

When the police arrived, they ran after her and found her. It transpired that she was driving someone else's car on a provisional licence!! She started telling the police that her companion had "gone to fetch someone". I had to intervene and say that we hadn't seen anyone with her. :roll: I then told them that she had been driving with no lights on. She started trying to deny this, too. :roll:

Anyway, K and A appeared and we helped to push the car out of the blocked road. By this time I was freezing cold and pretty fed up. Just hope I don't end up as a witness. :roll: I feel quite sorry for the person whose car she had crashed into - presumably she won't be insured if she was driving on a provisional licence with no qualified driver... :roll:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#6717 Post by LAT » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:04 pm

Golly what an exciting life you lead! :shock:

We saw 5 ducks and a cow mural on our walk today! :roll:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6718 Post by Bunnylump » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:09 pm

Well, I wouldn't go as far as saying it was EXCITING. More alarming / annoying. :roll:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#6719 Post by LAT » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:18 pm

Well the ducks certainly weren't that. The cow was rather surprising but not particularly alarming either.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6720 Post by Bunnylump » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:27 pm

The walk I had BEFORE the incident was nice. Those of you who came to my neck of the woods in August will remember where we parked and found the sign with "The Hills are Alive", and saw the white lion on the hill. Well, that was where I was walking. You get a great view over the Three Hundreds of Aylesbury from the top of the beacon - in fact, on a clear day you can see as far as Wiltshire. Mind you, I nearly got blown off the top by an icy wind!! My new hat / gloves / scarf which I got for Christmas came in very handy! :D