Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#6721 Post by MBH » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:53 am

I didn't get to post this last night, but I bin putting a first coat of emulsion on an empty shell of a kitchen before the units go in (starting today). I suppose this shows that the work in the house is progressing, but the upheaval has been awful. [I still need to see about getting extra money borrowed to finish the project off :( The builder has been great about it and knew my situation from the start but worries are a-plenty]

My last day off work today, back to that chaos tomorrow, and I'm still not getting any puzzle time :evil: Sorry - I'll shut up now before I'm transfered to the winge thread :lol:

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#6722 Post by eirian » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:42 am

At least you can see progress! Hope it gets sorted soon.

.... getting soaked through! Have to walk a mile to get to the tram stop through the downpour this morning. soaked right through my coat and my socks were leaving wet footprints all over the work carpet once I got in and took my shoes off... Had to lock myself into the disabled toilets so I could get undressed and dry my clothes under the dryer.
Not that I minded though. Once I'd gotten used to the idea that I was wet and couldn't get any wetter, I enjoyed it! Just glad I keep a spare pair of shoes in work .. And whether I'll still be as happy when I put my probably still wet coat on to go home this afternoon is another matter!
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#6723 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:36 pm

It's been dreadful here as well, really wild weather. There are branches down all over the place and people's bins all over the roads.

MBH it WILL get better, honest. Just hang on in there. It is an awful lot for one person (who is also working full time and lord knows what else) to take on, you must be absolutely shattered. But it won't be long before you'll be back to normal and Mrs MBH can come home too. Then at least you won't be to-ing and fro-ing quite so much. ;)

I went back to total chaos today. Had to finish off sorting out the teaching rooms and the offices after the pre-Christmas move and THEN make a start re timetabling all the extra English classes and the timetables for the teaching assistants, because the school timetable has all been switched about. :roll: This job took me three weeks to do in September, and I am NOT impressed that I am having to do it again... :evil: Worst part was that of course I had become nocturnal during the Christmas holidays, so couldn't get to sleep until 3am. My head was all over the place this morning. I went in without my lunch, or my phone, or my keys... :roll: Just got home (didn't stop for a break all day) and the cat is going ballistic. She's got used to having people to play with all day long and today we all went out. So she's currently hurtling around the living room, playing football with a fossilised sea urchin that my son found at College Lake, with tinsel attached to her collar (from where she's been in the Christmas tree). That did make me laugh, at least. :lol:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#6724 Post by tricia » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:21 pm

Scary Stuff going into work today. 90 mile an hour winds bins moving along the road and bits of trees falling all over the place. Its much quieter now.
:shock:

On another note I am feeling very sorry for myself, I was grating chese with a multiplane grater and successfuly managed to grate my finger. I now have a large hole in my finger- quite difficult holding a pen

Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6725 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:29 pm

Ew. That made me feel slightly sick when you said that. Poor you, nasty. :( That is why I don't have a microplane. I wouldn't have any fingers left.

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#6726 Post by LAT » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:10 pm

ooh, poor you Tricia. :(

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#6727 Post by MBH » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:12 pm

LOuch Trifiathat is horrible. Now you will find out all the things you use that finger for that you never knew about :(

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#6728 Post by gill216 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:54 am

Broken another chuffin filling in my tooth. This is becoming beyond a joke. :evil:
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#6729 Post by Scurra » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:07 am

You really should stop eating concrete you know.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6730 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:39 am

You're not grinding your teeth in your sleep, are you, Gill? That's what I was doing when I kept breaking teeth. Fortunately for me it was a phase which stopped. But you can get a sort of rubber tooth guard which you can wear to reduce the damage if that is what's going on.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6731 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:44 pm

...Getting rid of the remains of Christmas. I have to say that although the wreath on the front door and the holly, ivy, spruce, berries, dried oranges, ribbon etc. did look lovely all up the bannisters, they made a horrific mess when I took them back down again...But I do like getting rid of the Christmas tree and all the hundreds of cards, it makes the house look bigger!! :D It is such a time consuming job though, because I pinch all the bits of decoration off the front of all the cards, any ribbons and attractive boxes which have had presents in them, so that I can use them for either future card making or for Christmas hampers etc. I'm NOT being mean, I am being GREEN. :D

LAT
Nagging Nora

#6732 Post by LAT » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:00 pm

...working! :shock:
Got a plea from my ex boss who was struggling with all the month end stuff I used to do. "I need some help!"
So I went over for the afternoon and am back there again tomorrow morning!
I'd been thinking yesterday when I hadn't heard from him that he must have managed to finish off without any help but he is nowhere near yet. :roll:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6733 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:02 pm

Maybe the silly sod will appreciate what you used to do a bit more now? :roll: I hope you charged him an astronomical fee....? :mrgreen:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#6734 Post by LAT » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:20 pm

Oh I think he does appreciate what I did. It wasn't really his decision to make me redundant.
He can't pay me but he said to take the family out for a nice meal and he will settle the bill. Do you reckon he will cover the fares to New York to eat there? :lol:

chazzie

#6735 Post by chazzie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:25 pm

Ditto to what Bunny has just said .....make him pay/grovel......

chazzie

#6736 Post by chazzie » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:28 pm

I'd settle for dinner in NY

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#6737 Post by tricia » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:27 am

Make sure you choose an expensive restruant :D

Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6738 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:29 pm

LAT you should tell him "didn't you know I had such a big family?" Then we could all come and meet you in NY... :lol: :lol:

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#6739 Post by gill216 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:34 pm

I can't help but think that you kindness & helpfulness may have been an own goal.

If you'd said "not unless you pay me" then said man would have had to request your help from wherever so you could be paid and then EVERYONE would have known how much you did before. ;)
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6740 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:48 pm

I must say, I don't think I would have been that nice. In fact I KNOW I wouldn't. I got so fed up with being taken advantage of last summer that I sent a 5 page memo to every member of the senior leadership team stating "this is EXACTLY, step by step, what I do over and above what I am paid for, or what is on my job description. I have also outlined the consequences to the school if these jobs are not completed. I am sending you this so that whoever will be doing this job as of September will understand what they have to do. Because I'm not doing it any more unless I am paid for it."

And miracle of miracles, having been asking for more money / hours for three years without success, I got my hours increased every week plus the option of claiming extra in crunch periods. :lol: :lol: Yes, they do have me down as a bolshy moo. Do I care? Not a jot. 8-)