Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#6801 Post by gill216 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:59 pm

You have my sympathy MBH. In the past few months I've had 2 back teeth extracted, another crowned, 2 filled and chipped another 2.

My dentist told me that people of my age ( and probably yours) were child victims of dentistry at that time. As we come from the same area it's even more likely this applies to you too. Apparently, when we visited a dentist as children, it was normal procedure to remove the entire flower from back teeth and put in a great big filling instead. This weakens the tooth in the first place and as we get older and have subjected our teeth and gums to all kinds of evils (acids, caffeine, smoking etc) then the bone that holds the teeth also weakens. At that point there is very little left to be done to save a tooth.

That said, the last tooth I had extracted took so much getting out I don't believe anymore that nothing could be done with it. I'm wondering if dentistry today is recommending extraction. :evil:
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#6802 Post by Bunnylump » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:04 pm

Poor MBH, hope you feel better again quickly.

You should have my dentist, he knows better than to suggest things like crowns / extractions to me. I'm perfectly happy to go in from time to time and have my dodgy teeth built up again with this sort of paste adhesive he uses. He makes a mould of the tooth, then fills it up with gunk, dries it and I'm away. He told me they are supposed to be temporary, but I have two which have lasted 4 years fine. :D
I've also got a mouthful of fillings from childhood - but haven't had to have a real filling since the age of 11. I blame the stupid dental campaign of the time, which quite clearly told us to brush "up and down, up and down, till they're clean and shiny". So I did. But I never cleaned them across the TOPS (which, of course, is where all the food accumulates and therefore the cavities form) because I'd been told that was what I should do. I remember distinctly being told by my head teacher at primary school that it was "bad for your teeth to brush across the tops". :roll: When I was a bit older I decided to ignore them, and hence stopped needing fillings. :roll: And worse, the fillings I do have are amalgam, which of course contain mercury. :evil:

OK here's today's fascinating tooth fact. The phrase "long in the tooth" comes from the fact that as you age, your gums recede, making your teeth look "longer". But you probably already knew that.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6803 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:03 pm

Anyway, for all you lot who appreciate dancing, I have just been watching the video of our school winning Rock Challenge entry, titled "Taken". It is all about the idea of witches taking children in fairytales. Considering that the "story". choreography, costumes, make up etc. is all done by the staff and children at the school (all non-professionals) and the dancing is pupils only (from all years) I think this is pretty amazing. For the full effect, click play and maximise the screen. Don't let the slightly lacklustre introduction and the first few seconds (where it's a bit dark) put you off. It gets a lot better. I particularly like the creepy green dancing bedbugs... :D
http://www.globalrockchallenge.com/#!8891

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#6804 Post by MBH » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:36 pm

Thank you - I enjoyed that link very much. Some good individual and group work and a few nice bits of 'couple' dancing (Particullarly one couple in the "Stop, stop, stop, stop it" section). Lots of different styles of dance as well - so something for everyone to participate in.

The scenes looked goood and they filled the stage, and the storytelling was excellent :D Everyone should be very proud of themselves.

Out of interest I clicked a couple of others as well, and didn't realize there was quite so much professional looking stage work going on in schools these days. Back at Monkseaton High School the school plays and musicals were well thought of - but not a patch on this mass participation. [Oddly enough there are still elements of the music I can still vividly remember after 30 years]

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6805 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:30 pm

:lol: Just listening to Danny Baker show on Radio London. He has a theme of the day which people call in about. Today it was China or Scotland. He asked if anyone could think of anything which could link the two. D's just had his suggestion read out...Chinese burns. :lol:

I needed a giggle after the day I have had, which included, amongst other weird and wonderful lessons, analysing "text speak" and IM in ENGLISH lessons!! :shock: I mean, honestly...having to state things like "spoken language uses paralinguistic features, such as body language, gestures, facial expressions, tone and pitch, whereas IM uses emoticons, and features such as repeated punctuation or letters for emphasis. IM also frequently makes use of clipping, deletion or or use of numbers to shorten words." Or should I say
"I h8 tchng dis loada crp!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL :roll: :evil: :cry: :geek: " ?

giraffe
Twigi

#6806 Post by giraffe » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:55 pm

What's IM?

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#6807 Post by LAT » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:09 pm

Oh dear, Bunnylump! What a load of b******s! :shock: (IM = Instant messenger)

I've been looking for a new job (just for a change :lol: ) and also went to register at the local job centre. Had a great chat with a really nice guy but made the mistake of telling him I couldn't make the next appointment in two weeks' time as I would only be arriving at Heathrow then. So, of course, because I'm going away they will start my claim and then immediately stop it again. And I will have to restart it when I get back.

On a different note I've been rather sad today as my husband's uncle died yesterday. He was 90, still working (manual outdoor, mainly gardening and ground maintenance) although admittedly not full time for the last few years. I think he had rarely taken a day sick in all his working life and still grew virtually all his own veg and kept hens. It seems he had what he thought was a vomiting bug in November but never really recovered so two weeks ago they did a scan and found he had pancreatic cancer. At the beginning of this week he was given a week to live and died the following day. :( Our aunt must be in complete shock, they had been happily married for nearly 60 years - a party was planned for later this year to celebrate. Last time we saw them in the autumn he seemed as fit as a fiddle and really spry. (We came back laden with apples, potatoes, eggs and some other veg!) It seems difficult to believe he has gone.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6808 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:58 pm

:cry: Really sad news, LAT. Sorry to hear that.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6809 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:28 am

...Hung over... :oops: :lol: Will I NEVER learn??

...No. :lol: Good night though. :D

LAT
Nagging Nora

#6810 Post by LAT » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

are you saying good night already? It's only half past eleven! :o

Just joking - I do understand what you mean :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6811 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:38 am

:lol: Actually, I was just wondering about going for a bit of a lie down. Amusingly, my son has only JUST got home (from yesterday). He's like a bear with a sore head too, and he's just going back to bed as well. :lol: My long suffering husband will have to creep about the house for fear of being shouted at for being loud... :lol: :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#6812 Post by LAT » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:50 am

yeah boys can do that. If you're anything like me you would feel slightly guilty knowing the pain is self inflicted. :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6813 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:54 am

Well, yes. And somehow you can get away with it a bit more when you are 21. I probably look, and sound, like a drunken old slapper. :lol: Unfortunately for me it's only the first two adjectives which actually apply. :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#6814 Post by LAT » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:06 pm

:lol: I do wish you'd stop calling your self old! How do you think it makes me feel?

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#6815 Post by tricia » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:33 pm

It must be the week for receiving bad news . My Dad's cousin whom we considered as an aunt died on Thurday aged 95. Our problem is that she kept her sisters side of the family separate from our side of the family so we so not know how to pass on our condolences. I met 2 of her nieces at her 80th birthday but I have no means of contacting them.

I am such a luddite when it comes to facebook that I do not know how to search for them :? :?

Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

LAT
Nagging Nora

#6816 Post by LAT » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:15 pm

Oh, sorry to hear that Tricia. That's tricky, though. How did you hear the news?

tricia

#6817 Post by tricia » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:40 pm

LAT wrote:Oh, sorry to hear that Tricia. That's tricky, though. How did you hear the news?
Her neighbour phoned her friend to say she was in hospital . Her friend who is 90 phoned us to say she was in Worthing Hospital. Because I used to work in a Hospital and new how to surpass Red Tape, I phoned Wothing Hospital and asked how she was ......there was silence and then I was transferred to the Matron to be told she had died :( .I then had to phone my cousin in Sussex and ask if he could contact all of the Phillips side.

My Sister and I are the only part of the Phillips side who live in Scotland! We used to spend many holidays with he and she enjoyed coming up to Loch Lomond

Tricia

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#6818 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:16 pm

:( That's sad, Tricia. Sorry, I am useless with facebook. I think Clvrlad uses it quite a lot, he might know.

tricia

#6819 Post by tricia » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:39 pm

I've made some phonecalls amongst the family and have managed to get a phone number of one of the nieces. I have some details now od the funeral ............... but I was asked wha my surname was ,.....I answered ..the same as the deceased and I aske for a contact address so our side could send a sympathy card.

The only good thing is I now have some contact detals of that side of the family

Unfortuately She was the main source of my info on family history
Tricia

LAT
Nagging Nora

#6820 Post by LAT » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:45 pm

Could the matron that you spoke to help do you think? Presumably she must have contact with the next of kin.