Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#7001 Post by LAT » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:02 pm

...having lunch with Supersleuth. We hadn't got together for a while so it was good to have a catch up. :D
And for once, because we met at lunch time rather than mid afternoon, we managed to drag ourselves away before they shut up the cafe around us!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#7002 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Lucky things!! I'm still working. :evil:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7003 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:51 pm

...Sewing. I've spent the day making my daughter an "Ancient Greek" outfit. She's organised an ancient Greek day for her Year 3 class - they get to do things like make oil lamps out of clay and make Greek food etc.) They all have to dress up (including her as the teacher). You might have thought I wouldn't STILL be making dressing up clothes for my children when they are 24 and 22, would you? :lol: Anyway, it's come out really well, just took ages because my sewing machine died, so I had to do it all by hand. :roll:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7004 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:12 am

Happy Mother's Day to all you Mummies out there.

Scurra, as I predict that you have not managed to send your lovely mother a card (see, I must be telepathic!! :mrgreen: ) I think we can all expect to see a nice virtual one instead?? :lol:

My son is still in bed. He told me yesterday that he had got me "something" for Mother's Day, but he'd left it in the lab. :roll: Lord knows what it could be this time. Last time it was a mechanical man who rows a boat and a roll of blue sellotape with a zip on it. :lol: Sensible daughter, on the other hand, is cooking me roast chicken. :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#7005 Post by LAT » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:17 pm

Sounds good to me! :D
Guess who's cooking our roast chicken?

giraffe
Twigi

#7006 Post by giraffe » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:35 pm

I'm cooking a roast chicken later. No sign of a mother's day card here either. :roll: (Although they did give me some chocolates)

LAT
Nagging Nora

#7007 Post by LAT » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:51 pm

Well I had a little hand-made card from my daughter. And a text from my son. Plus a plant that their father had bought on their behalf. And they did both ring me this morning too. So I've not done too badly even if it is business as usual with regard to cooking, washing up etc. :D

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#7008 Post by gill216 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:16 pm

My grandson had to make 2 cards at school. Its english mothers day and spanish fathers day. He wanted to know if they were going out. Why? because he reckoned neither of them would be cooking his dinner
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

supersleuth

#7009 Post by supersleuth » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:21 pm

I had a lovely, though rather unconventional, Mother's Day card. A picture of the Changing of the Guard, with a note saying "Do you remember when we went and I sat on your shoulders? Good times". He was four at the time and I'm so touched he still remembers.

And I don't cook on Sundays any more. If I'd been meant to cook on Sundays, there wouldn't be a M&S Simply Food round the corner.

LAT
Nagging Nora

#7010 Post by LAT » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:30 pm

What a lovely thought Supersleuth. He's a good son! :D

gill216

#7011 Post by gill216 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:36 pm

I'm having an odd day few days. My son sent me a text wishing me Happy mothers day at 6pm last night- he's in Thailand at the moment. Now Katsmom has just wished me happy birthday because she's in Hong kong. So I've had mothers day yesterday and today and I'm having my birthday today & tomorrow. 3 days of laziness with a double dose today. :mrgreen:
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7012 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:20 pm

Well, I walked to my daughter's and back (it's about 3 miles away) which is quite a nice walk because it only involves two roads and then the canal, moorland and parkland. We had a lovely roast dinner, K's boyfriend's parents were there too. My daughter had also bought me some make up (obviously she thinks I need it!! :lol: ). Anyway, it transpires that my son hadn't left the present in the lab, he'd put it in with his smelly basketball kit... :? :lol: This year it was various soaps (he obviously thinks I smell). Tortoise shaped soap, whale shaped soap and rhino shaped soap. :lol: :lol: Bless them. :D Oh, and my son e mailed me a card he'd made. All I can say it is very much a Dibble creation. It's a photo of a plasticine octopus eating a fish. A more appropriate mother's day card would be hard to find methinks... :?

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7013 Post by Bunnylump » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Initiating our newest member of staff. Poor chap has been volunteered to run the school radio station with the kids (we currently have £15000 worth of radio broadcasting equipment which is not being used because we didn't have anyone to do it) AND he's going to be running a DJ desk mixing club too. :D Well, he shouldn't have confessed to being a DJ and having worked in a radio station, should he?? :lol: He came her expecting to be assisting in things like maths and English... :lol:

Now what do you think I should dream up for the next girl who should be starting after Easter? As I recall, she mentioned something about being a fitness coach and a dancer in a previous life...:mrgreen:

I like to take "Learning Support" in its broadest sense... :lol: Do you think I could get away with organising a puzzle club??

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#7014 Post by clvrlad » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:59 pm

oooh does he need a hand?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#7015 Post by clvrlad » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:54 pm

spending too much money on glasses.... :roll:

oh and finding out i need glasses :geek:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

gill216

#7016 Post by gill216 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:53 pm

Remembering the joys of having a teenage son. :mrgreen: Next door caravan neighbour's boiler is broken and its going to take a couple of days to fix so the only very just 18 year old came to me for a shower. I just returned his shower gel,very wet socks and all the rest of the gear an 18 year old needs to be clean. :lol: His mum wasn't impressed.
James is in for a heck of a shock. He leaves home next Friday to become a chef in Wetherspoons at Stansted airport. I had to burst his bubble and tell him that Stansted is in Essex, not the big city, and if he was going into a shared house than he could expect his belongings to totally used up if he didn't remove them from the shared bathroom himself. He had some seriously expensive stuff left behind :lol:

I've also discovered the joys and pitfalls of one shot superglue. 12 shots for £1. One job one shot. Good idea, I usually buy a tube and once its opened its sticks itself together and the rest of the tube is useless. This stuff did what it said on the packet. Except now I need to buy new scissors because cutting the end off the shot tube has rendered my scissors useless. The blades are stuck together tight :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7017 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:36 pm

That stuff sticks fingers together really well too. As one idiotic year 11 pupil discovered to his cost when he was arsing about. :lol:

And my son is still like a flipping teenager. I came home yesterday to find dirty pants and socks in the HALL, sweatshirt on the stairs. It looked like he'd done a striptease and shed his clothes as he went. :roll: Don't they EVER leave home these days?? I love him to bits but I do wish he'd GO AWAY. :lol: :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#7018 Post by LAT » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:37 pm

He's obviously too happy and comfortable at home. I'm not sure though what that says about me as both of mine have gone now!

Today we went for lunch to my husband's aunt. She will be 90 in June (cue party on a steam barge on the Thames :D ). The thought of living that long horrifies me but when I look at people like her and see how good she is for her age I do start to wonder if it might not be so bad after all. But only if I can be equally fit in both body and mind.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7019 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:33 pm

Just got a phone call from my Dad's partner to say he's back in hospital. He tried to chase a cat off which was stalking a bird in his garden, and caught his foot in some ivy. He's got a massive black eye, a massively swollen knee, and lots of cuts and bruises. He really does need to remember he's 83. :roll:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#7020 Post by LAT » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:37 pm

Hope he'll be OK. What a worry for you.