Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
giraffe
Twigi

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#7161 Post by giraffe » Sun May 06, 2012 10:03 pm

Have a lovely time.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#7162 Post by Bunnylump » Mon May 07, 2012 9:48 pm

Roman Baths resized.jpg
Roman Baths resized.jpg (85.17 KiB) Viewed 787 times
Lucky lady! Hope you both have a fabulous time.

I've just got back from Bath. This was the annual "girls' weekend*" with four of my good friends. This year we stayed in a really nice "cottage" - which was actually a very spacious and beautifully decorated and equipped house, set in the countryside, with a huge living room, three bedrooms- two twins and one double (one with dressing room!) two bathrooms and a beautiful conservatory. It had its own garden, and outside decking with chairs and table, two ponds, and thirteen cats. :D I would strongly recommend it if anyone's looking in that area. The owners were very nice people, and they left us with things like a big bowl of fruit, radox bath foam, etc. They do let privately, so if anyone wants it I have their telephone number direct (in which case they knock 22% off the price).
http://www.cottages4you.co.uk/sites/cot ... 0~0~~~Y~N~

We went into Bath on Saturday, had a walk along the river, a look round the town, a look at the abbey, then on a tour of the Roman Baths. Definitely to be recommended. On Sunday we went to Wells and saw the beautiful cathedral (don't worry, folks, I know it sounds like I'm becoming a religious fanatic, but actually I just love the buildings!). We also went to the Bishop's Palace and to look at Vicar's Close (which is a bit like being whisked back in time). Our visit also coincided (totally unplanned) with a military band and unveilling of a memorial stone to Harry Patch, who lived in the town. It was a beautiful sunny day and so typically English. We then went to Glastonbury, and a walk up the tor, followed by a visit to all the weird and wonderful witchcraft shops in the town. (To counteract all that Godliness earlier on??! :lol: :mrgreen: ) R bought J some potion or other which was supposed to make her more passionate, which did concern me somewhat as I was sharing a room with her later... :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Today, L and R wanted to go to the Spa to do sploshing about in hot water and scented steam rooms for several hours (NOT my cup of tea!!) so S, J and I dropped them off and went to Cheddar Gorge instead. Nice gorge, GEOLOGICALLY, but nasty and touristy and stupidly expensive. They wanted...wait for it... £18.50 per HEAD to visit the caves. :evil: Sorry, not prepared to spend that much to go down a hole in the ground. :roll:

Evenings were the usual routine of extreme stupidity, games, hysterical laughter and staying up until STUPID O' clock. But then that's a given, really. :lol: Back to work tomorrow for a rest, methinks. :D

*Yes, I know we're not girls, we are old bats, but it makes us feel better about all our bad behaviour if we convince ourselves that we are, really, still young enough to be this silly!! :lol:
Last edited by Bunnylump on Mon May 07, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7163 Post by Bunnylump » Mon May 07, 2012 10:37 pm

Vicar's Close, Wells.jpg
Vicar's Close, Wells.jpg (144.96 KiB) Viewed 781 times

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#7164 Post by MBH » Tue May 08, 2012 1:25 am

Took Maisie on another walk around Tunstall Resivour (without the other 29 Greyhounds and owners) and then moved on for a ride on the Weardale Railway (steam train) from Stanhope to Bishop Auckland. Not an attraction we've visited before but the friend we took with us is a train nut (and was bouncing around like a 5 year old :lol: ).

A new experience for Maisie but once she got over the banging of the doors she was totally laid back (and sprawled out) about the whole thing.

I didn't think it would be anything special, but the threatened rain held off until the return journey was almost done, we met lots of nice people to talk to, and the gentle rhythm of the train and the relatively slow speed through some lovely countryside was actually quite relaxing.

Got a text offering tonight behind the bar (at time-and-a-half) so I took it and I'm now ready to settle down for bed.

Wulfruna

#7165 Post by Wulfruna » Tue May 08, 2012 9:08 pm

Thank you for all your good wishes - we're all packed up and ready to go :D - I even managed to sneak Hogarth in as well :roll:
This time tomorrow we'll be on the boat sailing across from Athens to Crete overnight.....

Cenwulf
The Complete Fool
Currently reading: Schott's Miscellanies

#7166 Post by Cenwulf » Thu May 10, 2012 10:55 pm

Not so much today as yesterday...
... I had a visit from a former neighbour (she lived next door when I was living in Staffordshire).
It turns out she had bought Da Vinci Puzzles as well - but she didn't have the internet at the time so she never visited the Forum. The only person I've EVER met who has tried DVP!
Unfortunately, the number of ways of doing something wrong far exceed the number of ways of doing it right. G. Kasparov

16000 - 30/03/2017

neves-ytnewt rebmun rebmem suomynona srelzzup

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7167 Post by Bunnylump » Thu May 10, 2012 11:00 pm

I hope you pointed her in the direction of Puzzlebrains!! :lol:

Cenwulf
The Complete Fool
Currently reading: Schott's Miscellanies

#7168 Post by Cenwulf » Thu May 10, 2012 11:25 pm

We did discuss it but she seemed to glaze over when I showed her the Band of Brothers/Baker's Dozen issue. I'm not sure she'd cope with puzzles which are not only complicated but complicated with a twist!
Unfortunately, the number of ways of doing something wrong far exceed the number of ways of doing it right. G. Kasparov

16000 - 30/03/2017

neves-ytnewt rebmun rebmem suomynona srelzzup

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7169 Post by Bunnylump » Thu May 10, 2012 11:40 pm

Well, let's face it, we are rather odd, all of us, aren't we?? :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7170 Post by Bunnylump » Fri May 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Fuming... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Just got a speeding notice. And I KNOW that I wasn't speeding!! This is so irritating, it was the other week, when I was driving OH to Stoke Mandeville Hospital. His appointment wasn't until 8 50 am, and I was within 10 minute drive of the hospital. We had DELIBERATELY left a whole hour to get there with plenty of time so there was no rush. Not only that, but we both saw the warning signs about speed zone, so I KNOW I was driving at 28 mph.We even both SAW the speed trap. Yet THEY are telling me that I was photographed driving at 36 miles per hour. :evil:

The really unfair part of this is that I would be the first to put my hands up and say "fair cop" if I had been speeding. But I absolutely and categorically WASN'T, yet it would be my word against theirs. :evil:

giraffe
Twigi

#7171 Post by giraffe » Fri May 11, 2012 1:52 pm

Contest it, my Mum won when she contested it.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7172 Post by Bunnylump » Fri May 11, 2012 2:53 pm

But I can't PROVE I was driving at 28 miles per hour...

chazzie

#7173 Post by chazzie » Fri May 11, 2012 2:58 pm

Ask them for the proof...

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7174 Post by Bunnylump » Sat May 12, 2012 10:22 pm

...Feeling like I must now be officially OLD. This afternoon I went with K to look at the place she's thinking of getting married (Loseley Park in Guildford) and this evening I went to support two old colleagues who are in a ladies' choir. It was one of those things which ended up a bit like the last night of the proms, and I was ordered to sing and wave a union jack. :roll: So I've been to a stately home in the afternoon and singing Land of Hope and Glory in the evening. Shall I get a blue rinse done next time the hairdresser comes?

Wulfruna

#7175 Post by Wulfruna » Sun May 13, 2012 5:25 pm

Just so long as you don't join the posh people who don't know the price of a pint of milk...... :lol:

We've been visiting the amazing Minoan ancient site of Phaistos in Southern Crete - much less crowded than the better-known Knossos, and just as huge a site. It is amazing how sophisticated people were in 1800 BC :shock: Sorry I can't send photos, but may have some when we get back. We have also visited the cave where Zeus was supposedly born (and hidden by his mother, so that his father Cronos would not eat him...) and the view from our apartment includes Mt Ida where he was later hidden and brought up. Be that as it may, the Dikteian cave is a remarkable place - very deep and full of spectacular stalactites.
No idea when or if I'll get another connection - we know that next week's apartment (we move on Tuesday) doesn't have it.
Just off out to get another gorgeous Greek meal.......

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7176 Post by Bunnylump » Sun May 13, 2012 5:35 pm

Phaistos is amazing, isn't it?? Crete is so beautiful, and so varied, too. I loved the Lassithi plain with all the windmills. Knossos is incredible, but you have to keep telling yourself that they have pieced things back together, and some parts have been renovated.

MBH
King of the Swingers

#7177 Post by MBH » Sun May 13, 2012 11:40 pm

Wulfruna wrote:(and hidden by his mother, so that his father Cronos would not eat him...)
I thought it was usually the women that got 'the munchies'?

:twisted: :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7178 Post by Bunnylump » Sun May 13, 2012 11:41 pm

Yum yum. :mrgreen: :lol:

MBH
King of the Swingers

#7179 Post by MBH » Sun May 20, 2012 11:56 pm

Discovering yet another place thanks to Maisie (and the social aspect of owning a Greyhound). A dog walk at Hardwick Hall Country Park near Sedgefield.

A drive down early for a pre-walk picnic, then gradually we saw more and more greyhounds arriving. Introduced ourselves to the organnizer and eventually had about 20 dogs (including the organizer's daughter's Bedlington Terrier - who I pointed out was both Grey and a Hound so was OK :lol: )

Amazingly lucky with the weather and had a lovely walk through beautiful parkland. Coffee/tea and cupcakes at the end while chatting with other doggy people. Very pleasant afternoon.
Attachments
GreyhoundWalk.JPG
GreyhoundWalk.JPG (66.46 KiB) Viewed 802 times

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7180 Post by Bunnylump » Mon May 21, 2012 12:16 am

:D Sounds like you've opened up a whole new set of acquaintances for yourselves. :D Good on you!

We went for a walk (in the drizzle!) up to Ashridge estate. Surprising how many people there were plodding about in the mud! Still, it cleared my thick head after having been out to a dinner party last night... ;) And the beech leaves were lovely and bright green, although the bluebells are disappointing this year due to the battering they've had from the rain.