Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#7181 Post by LAT » Mon May 21, 2012 10:46 pm

Well not today but Saturday - went to a lovely wedding in London at a little church quite literally, pretty well in the shadow of St Paul's (they had some of the photos taken with St Paul's in the background). Then the reception was at one of the ancient livery halls nearby. It was a great day with one rather interesting custom. The groom's mother is Japanese so the happy couple performed the breaking of the barrel. A small barrel was filled with sake and they were given a wooden mallet with which they had to break the lid while we all shouted 'moshi moshi moshi'. We then all got given a small cup of sake to drink. It went down rather nicely after the several glasses of champagne we had already had! :D

Some friends were there that we used to know when we lived in Hong Kong but hadn't seen for over 20 years so it was great to have a good catch up with them too. :D

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#7182 Post by Bunnylump » Mon May 21, 2012 10:53 pm

Sounds wonderful. :D I love different weddings.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7183 Post by Bunnylump » Wed May 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Hey, anyone tried PLAYING google today? You can play a tune on the Mini Moog, change the sounds, and even record and repeat on it!!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7184 Post by Bunnylump » Thu May 24, 2012 5:19 pm

...Boiling.

English Literature exam this afternoon - there is a building site next to the school and they were using hammer drills. :roll: It was totally distracting the pupils so they had to shut all the windows and doors. The temperature rose to 40 degrees C. :shock:

I was in a small room on the other side of the school with a lad needing a scribe. It was STUPIDLY hot, and added to this the blasted eco-gardeners outside were eco-gardening really loudly. Poor lad kept saying "I'm really sorry miss, but I'm so hot that I probably smell." I told him not to worry because I did too (quite literally had sweat pouring down my back - yuk). So we sat in a puddle together and moaned a lot. :lol: Bless him - at the end he said "I'm really pleased it was you in here with me. You're the best, miss. And I didn't even mind if you smell." :lol: :lol: :lol: (I sort of hope he was actually joking!!)

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#7185 Post by clvrlad » Thu May 24, 2012 5:35 pm

:-p well if your not going out for your walks to get showered what do you thinks going to happen ;-)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#7186 Post by gill216 » Thu May 24, 2012 7:01 pm

Enjoying two very different kinds of weather. We left Withernsea at noon, temp 13 degrees and windy. Got to Leeds at around 1.40 and it was 28 and no wind at all. :shock:
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

giraffe
Twigi

#7187 Post by giraffe » Thu May 24, 2012 7:46 pm

It was like that here, really fresh and overcast first thing, but by midday sunny and hot.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7188 Post by Bunnylump » Fri May 25, 2012 7:47 pm

Just got a phone call from K - she's had OFSTED in yesterday and today. They observed her teaching maths, spelling, ICT and teaching the orchestra. Unfortunately for her, during the ICT lesson (32 eight year olds in a computer suite - I personally couldn't think of anything worse in the world) the computers decided it would be a great plan to play up. She had been demonstrating something on a PC which then showed all the kids on their screens what she was doing, unfortunately then she couldn't STOP it showing them, so not one of them could use the computers. Nightmare. :roll:

Poor love is shattered. She's had 8 hours sleep in the past two days and is totally drained. Who'd be a teacher, eh?

Wulfruna

#7189 Post by Wulfruna » Fri May 25, 2012 11:17 pm

...Gradually coming down to earth again after our lovely holiday away from it all...... :D
Though we were a bit surprised to find when we landed back at Heathrow that it was actually hotter here than it had been in Athens!
Fortunately, our watering system in the greenhouse had worked a treat and kept the tomatoes and bedding plants well watered, although some of the outdoor plants are looking a bit parched - it's just as well that we don't have a hosepipe ban down here in the SouthWest, so we were able to give it all a good soaking tonight :D :lol: .

Redfraggle
Glamorous Granny
Currently reading: 50 Shades of Grey

#7190 Post by Redfraggle » Sun May 27, 2012 5:16 pm

We had a lovely weekend in Scotland attending a wedding. Yesterday we decided to go for a wee jolly to Ayr and the van died. Long story short, we rang the AA (this happened at 12 noon) and 10 o'clock last night we were picked up and towed to Cairnryan where they wouldn't let us board the boat. Spent the night in the van and were towed onto the boat this morning at 4.30am. Then towed off again at 7am. Needless to say we are both exhausted and £330 poorer for the experience - but hey - no one was hurt during the process and today the sun is shining! :D I do love an adventure!!! :mrgreen:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7191 Post by Bunnylump » Sun May 27, 2012 5:47 pm

TEN HOURS???? That's ridiculous, by any standard. I would have a letter of complaint winging its way to the AA already...what sort of service is that?? :shock:

I've been out with K in the MX5 with the lid off in the sunshine. I must be getting old - when I used to drive a Spitfire, I loved it. This time I felt rather like a poser, and VERY vulnerable. You forget how low to the ground you are, and doing 40 feels like about 90 in my car!!

kathlyn

#7192 Post by kathlyn » Mon May 28, 2012 3:46 pm

Organised a surprise exhibition of art work this morning, for our teacher who is retiring after 7 yrs of teaching in the village and many more years teaching elsewhere. He was taken totally by surprise when he arrived to take the class. Later in the morning I presented him with an album of original art work done by all the class members and a group photo was taken and then we had Pimms and nibbles. Very sociable. :)
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7193 Post by Bunnylump » Mon May 28, 2012 5:57 pm

Aw, that's a really nice idea, Kathlyn. I bet he will treasure that. :D

kathlyn

#7194 Post by kathlyn » Tue May 29, 2012 8:50 am

Just noticed bunny and gill have gone green. :lol:
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

giraffe
Twigi

#7195 Post by giraffe » Tue May 29, 2012 9:35 am

Yes, I was wondering about that, just looks weird!

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#7196 Post by gill216 » Tue May 29, 2012 12:09 pm

I noticed that too and it took me a while to work out why but I have. Its admin rights.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#7197 Post by eirian » Tue May 29, 2012 12:29 pm

you are trusting Bunny with admin rights? :o
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

kathlyn

#7198 Post by kathlyn » Tue May 29, 2012 1:49 pm

It wouldn't have been my choice of colour. Unfortunately there's not an icon thingy for my thoughts!

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#7199 Post by MBH » Tue May 29, 2012 2:12 pm

eirian wrote:you are trusting Bunny with admin rights? :o
:lol: :lol:

Obviously we're all supposed to be green with envy ;)

I think it's probably to give Bunnylump a few extra superpowers to fight back against Scurra (who still controls this world we play in) :D

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#7200 Post by Scurra » Tue May 29, 2012 3:10 pm

MBH wrote:I think it's probably to give Bunnylump a few extra superpowers to fight back against Scurra (who still controls this world we play in)
Yup, that's about the best summary of it I can think of. :)
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".