Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#7341 Post by MBH » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:41 am

I got a pair of inline skates for my 40-something birthday. Since I can ice skate I should be fine on them (was the theory). Theory met reality very quickly and my tuck and roll over the concrete garden planter is still talked about :oops:

I'm sure I could get the hang of them BUT I need a safe environment.....
Redfraggle wrote:Well I plan to practise in our school assembly hall until I get my skate legs back again.
.... that would be good :D Pity I can't come and join you.

The sad fact is that the skate parks that are around are thought of as being for the youngsters - and in the sad world we live in, a guy of my age stumbling around may well attrac the wrong sort of attention from the locals :(

One day........ (like so many other things).

Redfraggle
Glamorous Granny
Currently reading: 50 Shades of Grey

#7342 Post by Redfraggle » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:47 am

I tried in line skates and nearly fractured my skull - due to the fact that I was in the street and let Leah pull me along on her bike. She went too fast and I had to let go. Not a good look. The neighbours loved it though!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#7343 Post by Bunnylump » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:50 am

Last time I tried them, I did it in Gadebridge Park (not the skate park). The park has concrete paths within the grass, so that wasn't too bad. But I was so useless at it I decided to give in gracefully.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#7344 Post by LAT » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:20 pm

I've never tried inline skates, only the old-fashioned type with 4 wheels at 4 corners of the foot as it were.

giraffe
Twigi

#7345 Post by giraffe » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:26 pm

Your feet have corners? :shock: Do you struggle to buy shoes?

LAT
Nagging Nora

#7346 Post by LAT » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:45 pm

:lol: Yes, dreadful trouble.
I've never managed to buy up-to-the-minute fashionable shoes and always looked a bit square.

Wulfruna

#7347 Post by Wulfruna » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:47 pm

Goes with the square car... :shock: :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#7348 Post by LAT » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:49 pm

there was me thinking my car was the latest must-have model. :P

Redfraggle
Glamorous Granny

#7349 Post by Redfraggle » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:11 pm

I got my rollerboots today and tried them out in the school assembly hall - my legs are aching. It was a lot harder than i expected but on about the 10th time around the hall i started to get the hang of it. The girl I work with is getting a pair now too. She tried mine on today and went skating past the principal's office. The principal had a visitor with her :lol: I went out into the corridor to find June hanging on to the pipes :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora

#7350 Post by LAT » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:19 pm

:lol:
I'd love to know what the visitor thought! :lol:

Redfraggle
Glamorous Granny

#7351 Post by Redfraggle » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:26 pm

The visitor looked completely bewildered - it was a man in his 70's. He was even more bewildered when the boss asked June to skate back down the corridor and then 'helped' by giving her a push from behind :lol: We were in stitches - these are going to be good fun.

giraffe
Twigi

#7352 Post by giraffe » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:04 pm

F had his second Latin literature paper this afternoon. This is the other one that they had been taught the wrong texts on. I am so proud of him. He worked so hard the last 36 hours (he had two other exams on Monday, so couldn't start until then) and came out of the exam and said that with the exception of one question , where they didn't have the background knowledge to answer it, he felt it had been a good paper, but not brilliant. He had a little wobble on Monday, when I think the task ahead of him looked insurmountable, but since then has just got on and learned it. We are hoping that he will have done significantly better than the one last week when they discovered in the exam that they had been taught the old syllabus texts, and that the board will look on it favourably as a sign that he deserves a reasonable mark. He only has one more exam, and that isn't for a week, so at long last there is an end in sight to his exams. Apart from the initial catastrophic blunder I cannot fault the way the school have handled the problem. They have been updating us every couple of days on the correspondence between the school and the board. The head phoned all the parents involved and accepted full responsibility, without trying to blame the latin department or anyone else.

chazzie

#7353 Post by chazzie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:11 pm

Oh good news - looks like he deserves a good evening away from all that hard work......

strep98
One Hot Cherub
Currently reading: Moon Sister

#7354 Post by strep98 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:24 pm

.......hopefully buying a house.
I don't have hot flushes. I have short holidays in the Tropics.
Women are Angels And when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to flyon a broomstick We are flexible like that.
A pesimist is only an optimist who knows more

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#7355 Post by eirian » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:28 pm

glad the exam went well - he deserves a lot of credit for not letting it all put him off.

..... getting my laptop fixed! You'll remember I had a problem with my Dell, but not being Bunny, didn't have the courage to phone Dell up and shout at them. Instead we got a nice chap out who listened to us and realised that it's all because the wrong drivers were installed - Dell is apparently notoriously bad when the hard drive goes, as it loses all the drivers and they are a pain to reinstall. I'd attempted it myself, but because I didn't really know which drivers I was looking for I failed. This chap came out, realised the problem and fixed it in about 30 mins. Of course, there's plenty of time for it to reoccur, but at the moment, everything is looking back to normal :)
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#7356 Post by eirian » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:29 pm

whee! Strep, that's such good news after all the problems you had last time. I do hope everything goes smoothly this time...
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

strep98
One Hot Cherub
Currently reading: Moon Sister

#7357 Post by strep98 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:31 pm

me too, put the offer in. Now waiting for the rest of it all to fall in place.
I don't have hot flushes. I have short holidays in the Tropics.
Women are Angels And when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to flyon a broomstick We are flexible like that.
A pesimist is only an optimist who knows more

giraffe
Twigi

#7358 Post by giraffe » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:31 pm

Fingers crossed strep!

LAT
Nagging Nora

#7359 Post by LAT » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:51 pm

My fingers are crossed for you too strep. I hope it all falls into place.

And for Fernando as well, hoping all his hard work pays off, he certainly deserves it.

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#7360 Post by gill216 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:06 pm

Fingers crossed for you both.

I'm feeling pretty good today. Last night we went to a football/barbecue/party and as most of you know I hate football with a passion so I offered to be house slave and refill the glasses, cook food, provide snacks etc. I did have another football hater to keep me company but she broke her foot 4 weeks ago and she's in a Madge mobile so I had to fetch and carry for her too. Doesn't leave a lot of time for drinking and I seem to have gone off alcohol anyway :shock: :? so as I watched everyone become more and more inebriated I decided I'd not bother having a drink and be the taxi lady instead. There was no hangover, I didn't appear in any of the embarrassing photos and I can tell them all exactly what they did or didn't do last night :lol: :lol:
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan