Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#7481 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:16 pm

...Bored...

Does anyone else find this? I've had a stupidly manic week again and then was looking forward to doing nothing much (apart from all the boring stuff like housework etc.) this weekend. And now I have my wish (nothing critical to do) and D is out drumming, most of my friends are out having a life (they don't have husbands who do music stuff all summer), I am BORED out of my brain. :roll: I've just spent about half an hour wasting time playing drawsomething on my phone.

Where has my life gone???
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

Laura

#7482 Post by Laura » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:28 pm

It probably went to the pub when it realised you were too busy being busy!

But yes, I know what you mean. It's so annoying, isn't it? When you think 'I'll finally have time to watch some telly' and then you realise there's nothing on that you want to watch, and it's raining so you don't want to go anywhere.

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#7483 Post by LAT » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:36 pm

That sounds like most of my weekends. My OH is usually around but he never wants to anything more strenuous than watch TV or browse the internet! :roll:
So I end up pretty bored too.

strep98
One Hot Cherub
Currently reading: Moon Sister

#7484 Post by strep98 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:22 pm

I'm definately suiterd to bullets more than arrows. archery was much more difficult :(
I don't have hot flushes. I have short holidays in the Tropics.
Women are Angels And when someone breaks our wings We simply continue to flyon a broomstick We are flexible like that.
A pesimist is only an optimist who knows more

LAT
Nagging Nora

#7485 Post by LAT » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:56 pm

I have a shooting range outside our back gate but I've never tried it. I do go walking there sometimes when the flags aren't up. I'm still hoping to see the highland cattle that are meant to be grazing at the top - out of reach of the bullets - but so far I haven't been successful.

Is there a reason you are trying out all these different weapons? :lol:

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#7486 Post by clvrlad » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:58 pm

and there's me thinking of a hot cherub with a bow

thought you were giving cupid a run for his money ;-)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

giraffe
Twigi

#7487 Post by giraffe » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:34 pm

The only time I have fired a weapon was in a shooting competition with live ammunition, and I was so traumatised by the thought that I might accidentally kill someone that I forgot to take the safety catch off and thought I had broken it. One of the most terrifying experiences of my life.

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#7488 Post by MBH » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:36 pm

strep98 wrote:I'm definately suiterd to bullets more than arrows. archery was much more difficult :(
Both are on my list of things 'to do properly' at some time. On the odd occasion I've had my hands on a bow and arrows it has felt amazingly 'comfortable' as if I've done it before. [No - I don't think I believe in past lives..... but you never know - LOL].

Just practical stuff for me today - shopping, laundry. Yesterday's dog walk was a washout both weather wise and the fact noboody showed up. Annoying since it's a 30+ mile drive each way for us and we make the effort to take Maisie down for the company.

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#7489 Post by eirian » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:42 pm

I'd love to try those things out - really want to try archery at some point, just no idea when I'll get around to it... Now, Wulf used to always be the best shot at the Rifle Range when we went to a fair.

... exhausting myself helping Sigur & his dad put the boards back up in the ceiling of our extension. Plasterer is just getting started, but the electrician said we needed to cut out pieces of the insulation where the lights were going, otherwise the heat in the lights would set fire to it... so all the roof boards had to come down, holes cut, and the boards put back up. And those boards were heavy... so we took all the boards down last week, yesterday was spent cutting the holes and today we put the boards back up - me & his dad holding the boards in place with our heads while Sigur put the screws back in - after all, Sigur didn't need a step ladder to reach the roof!
For some reason I now have a headache.

Wish I'd had your boring weekend, Bunny :lol:
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7490 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:39 pm

Well, I decided to stop feeling sorry for myself and took Dibble and Suzy over to Ashridge monument. I ditched them there so they could walk down to Aldbury through the woods, and took myself off for a walk up to Ivinghoe Beacon (I really like walking on my own because I can walk really fast- although I'm so unfit that the steep chalk hills nearly killed me!!). Glad I did because it actually turned into a really nice day. Then I went back and met them for a drink in the pub garden in the sunshine. :D Got home and we've just had a massive Greek salad and barbecued chicken in the garden so I'm now feeling refreshingly summery!! :D

I think the trouble is that to be able to effectively slob about you have to wind down first. Everything's so manic at the moment that I'm in manic mode, not in relaxed, dossy mode. :lol:

Oh, and I tried archery when I took the year 7s to Phasels Wood. I was HOPELESS at it. :lol: But I wouldn't try shooting guns on principle because I'm anti-gun. Pointy sticks whistling through your heart is one thing, but firearms are another in my (admittedly weird) book. :lol: D, on the other hand, tried archery at the Apsley day and they were so impressed that they were trying to get him to join the archery club!! :lol: :lol: I think you need good upper body strength (which he, and MBH have). I'm pathetically weak in my upper body but have fearsomely strong legs. You wouldn't want me to kick your shins!! :lol:

Cenwulf
The Complete Fool
Currently reading: Schott's Miscellanies

#7491 Post by Cenwulf » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:54 pm

strep98 wrote:...just been up the sealife viewing tower in Weymouth and survived without wanting to jump out :D
So what's the view like from the top of the Factory Chimney?
I didn't pay much attention to it until it was nearly complete - and thought it looked like a factory chimney. The name has stuck.
I won't be going up it - it seems like a waste of money. Perfect for the grockles, though.

At least it's better than the Awful Tower next to the Olympic Stadium...
Unfortunately, the number of ways of doing something wrong far exceed the number of ways of doing it right. G. Kasparov

16000 - 30/03/2017

neves-ytnewt rebmun rebmem suomynona srelzzup

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7492 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:00 pm

I agree, I think that just looks like a mess. I think it was a good idea to have a tower, just one which was beautiful rather than like a Meccano nightmare would have been preferable. :roll:

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#7493 Post by Scurra » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:10 pm

I think we might have to agree to disagree on that one, Bunny and Cenwulf.
Although I have no desire to go up it (vertigo), it looks perfectly beautiful to me - and I've seen it closer up. :) But people who have been up it say that the main part of the experience is to travel through it as well - a "normal" tower would provide nothing interesting in and of itself, but merely the view from the top. The Orbit provides more than that (it reminds me of the Eiffel Tower in that the structure itself is part of what makes it interesting, as much as what it does for the landscape. And, of course, everyone hated the Eiffel Tower when it was originally built...)
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

LAT
Nagging Nora

#7494 Post by LAT » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:13 pm

I think I'm with you Scurra. And I would like to go up it, just as long as I don't have to go too near an 'edge' when I get to the top.

Looking forward to trying the cable car ride too. :D

giraffe
Twigi

#7495 Post by giraffe » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:17 pm

I think it's nice too. Looks like someone tried to knit a trumpet.

LAT
Nagging Nora

#7496 Post by LAT » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:21 pm

That's a great description! :lol:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7497 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:22 pm

IMHO a tower should be phallic. That's the beauty and power of them. :D (EG Tokyo Skytree) And although I can see that it would be an interesting walk up all that squiggly stuff, I don't think it looks beautiful from the outside, personally. But then it is a good job that everyone likes different things, isn't it? The only thing I think it does have going for it is that it's a NEW design, rather than trying to copy an old style. And of course, innovation should be applauded.

Cenwulf
The Complete Fool
Currently reading: Schott's Miscellanies

#7498 Post by Cenwulf » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:23 pm

Mind you, what can you expect from someone whose idea of 'art' is firing balls of paint at a wall, or sending a giant block of wax backwards and forwards through a doorway?

But that's the Art world nowadays; someone gets a wacky idea and installs it in a gallery and calls it 'art'. The Artistic Community* claims it's wonderful, meaningful, thought-provoking, etc - but all the public can see is someone getting a lot of money for any old rubbish. It's what I call "Emperor's New Clothes" art.

*those self-appointed 'arty' types who believe they are the ones who 'understand' Art, and anyone who doesn't get it is a philistine.
Unfortunately, the number of ways of doing something wrong far exceed the number of ways of doing it right. G. Kasparov

16000 - 30/03/2017

neves-ytnewt rebmun rebmem suomynona srelzzup

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#7499 Post by MBH » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:26 pm

Bunnylump wrote: I think you need good upper body strength (which he, and MBH have). I'm pathetically weak in my upper body but have fearsomely strong legs.
Ha!!! Upper body strength is one thing I've never had :roll: I'm just a bit better now than I was as a teenager. [One guy called it "old man strength" because no matter how much he trained his dad was always physically stronger than him]. We probably develop a certain strength - or more likely 'technique' - as we get older.

Since it is the week of the Hoppings fair, this is the regular place where I had a chance to shoot (with the widely off-true sights :lol: ) Each year I would get some prize or other from a gun or archery stall.

I don't know any of the towers you're talking about here in the UK but I have heard there was a controvertial one innvolved with the Olympics. As I thnk is generally known - I like heights :D Been up the Parisian one many years ago and it's cousin in Blackpool a number of times.

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#7500 Post by gill216 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:36 pm

As I thnk is generally known - I like heights
Oh yes, Lat and I know that well. I think either of us could have strangled you in Belfast. I'd practised for that rope bridge on a glass balcony for weeks and Lat had summoned up all that she had in her just to get across it.

Then we see you hopping down the cliffside and peering over the edge. If either of us had had it in us to get down there and join you I think we'd have happily pushed you off!!!
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan