Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
giraffe
Twigi

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#7841 Post by giraffe » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:01 pm

I think the police have taken it quite seriously as the young lady that answered the door is disabled, and three men pushed past her into the house.

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#7842 Post by gill216 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:25 pm

Another scumbag has been taken off the streets today. They've just arrested someone for 50 caravan burglaries and removed about the same number of televisions from his house. One of them would have been mine if they'd moved my caravan a day earlier. Good news for the 6 people around me who can now go and reclaim their property.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#7843 Post by eirian » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:22 am

... dropping Thomas off for his first day at pre-school
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

Wulfruna

#7844 Post by Wulfruna » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:09 am

What a fabuloous picture of my gorgeous grandson :lol: :lol: . We'll be dying to hear how he gets on. The big test, of course is what happens when he has to go back again the next day..... :shock:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#7845 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:23 pm

Aw - how cute! :D Hope the day went well!!
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#7846 Post by eirian » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:55 am

the day went really well - he was really excited about going back this morning :)
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7847 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:18 am

:D That sounds very positive! Although I find it completely terrifying that he's old enough to be GOING to nursery... :shock: :shock: Mind you, my little soldier is 22... :lol:

supersleuth

#7848 Post by supersleuth » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:49 pm

Finally, finally, and fingers crossed, ironing out the last of the glitches in our newly re-vamped website.

http://www.ypwd.info

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7849 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:23 pm

That looks very professional! Well done. And a very worthwhile cause, too.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7850 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:51 pm

...To an exhibition of art and photography. Two of our friends were exhibiting (along with some other weird and wonderfuls!!)- Maude
http://www.eg-design.co.uk/ and Neil http://www.commercial-photographer.info/. It was held in St Mary's Church in Pitstone, which was a nice setting
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sheepies/4895273648/

And best of all, I've got some Christmas presents!! Neil was doing a 2 for £30 deal on some of his lovely 10"x14" prints. Here are two of the ones I chose. The first one was taken when he was in Cuba, the second is local - near where we had the Ashridge PB meet.

Lovely, aren't they? :D

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#7851 Post by MBH » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:17 pm

They are :) Wonderful depth to that second one.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7852 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:25 pm

You know, the real shame of it is that he's such a brilliant photographer, yet he struggles to make a living with it. I have ordered another beautiful one (which I can't show you because it isn't on his website) which was taken at dawn in the woods in autumn. That one will be going on my wall. :D He picks his spot, then sets up at about 4am, when he has about a 20 minute slot where the light is "right". Now there's dedication for you!! :lol: I am in awe of people who can take lovely photos. Mine are always a bit sideways, with people's heads chopped off...or a telegraph pole growing out of someone's head... :lol: :lol:

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#7853 Post by LAT » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:00 pm

......on a boat on the Thames. Husband's aunt was 90 and her son had hired an old steam barge to take us from Runnymede to Maidenhead. The boat was over 100 years old but has recently been renovated. It was wonderful, all wood and brass, the weather was great, the scenery beautiful (gosh how the other half live, some of the houses were magnificent!) and the lunch delicious. This celebration had to be postponed from June as there was too much water in the river then. :lol:
I was so pleased for her that it turned out so nice today. :D

Wulfruna

#7854 Post by Wulfruna » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Recovering after being away for a week helping to organise an international conference (in Malvern) for 65 women from 25 different European countries. They have an annual conference in a different country each time and it was the UK's turn to host it. So we do know some of the regular attenders, and it is always exciting to meet new people. It was great fun, but hard work!

I had been helping some of the East Europeans with getting visas - a nightmare task with the strict rules laid down by the UK Border Agency :( . The form even asks "have you been involved with a terrorist organisation or engaged in terrorism" :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: . We had to send in all kinds of documents to prove they were bona fide visitors - not just an invitation letter, but also the conference programme, the budget (showing that their costs would be underwritten by us), and receipts for the booking at the Centre. Another Catch 22 is that they advise people not to book their travel until they have actually got their visa - and then on another page suggest that they bring their flight bookings with them to the embassy to prove that they have bought return tickets! But it all worked out in the end and they did not have to wait a long time to get the visa as used to be the case in the past.

I was also involved beforehand in doing translation from German of a celebration booklet which was presented at the conference - the organisation (of European Christian Women) was celebrating its 30th birthday.

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#7855 Post by clvrlad » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:47 pm

sounds like hard work ;-)
im glad you enjoyed it as well
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7856 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:10 pm

...Running around a wood all day doing activities with year 7s. It was the Cuffley Camp trip - assault courses, problem solving (bridges across swamps with tyres / boards etc.) woodland shelter making with massive branches, that sort of thing. The kids particularly enjoyed making the shelters - the best one by a long was was made by a traveller boy's team - which was even slightly waterproofed with moss etc. We tested this by making the kids get into their shelters and then tipping watering cans of water over them... :mrgreen: :lol:

Anyway, the kids largely had a great day (only two of my team in tears and one boy falling off a rope bridge!!) I am now KNACKERED. Certainly beats being in school. :D :D

Snoopy

#7857 Post by Snoopy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:45 pm

What a wonderful day you all had. My grandson had his first Cub camp this weekend and came home filthy, tired but very happy.

Today I was in Glasgow at a posh auctioneers to get some Chinese vases and plates valued. They will be put into an auction in January but I don't think I'll be living it up on the proceeds :( :(

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#7858 Post by gill216 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:57 pm

I'm looking out over a ploughed field and watching the real life redjimmy's in their helicopters evacuating the oil riggers from the north sea and landing about 200 yards away from where I'm sitting in the brilliant sunshine at almost 5pm.

I left Leeds this morning in the pouring rain and wished I hadn't bothered . The rain and road spray on the M62 was horrendous. I had wipers full on both back and front and I couldn't see a thing in any direction. I hit the A63 and the sunshine coming through my car window was burning my ear. OH has been out for a bike ride and has now gone to play golf. Withernsea strikes again. Doesn't matter what kind of weather we are supposed to have it's almost always the opposite. It's like living in a parallel universe at times. It must be really bad out at sea for them to do this. Get home safely boys.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#7859 Post by clvrlad » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:07 pm

well i can see drizzle

compared with the downpour and floods from yesterday this is good weather ;-)

hope they are all ok ;-)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#7860 Post by MBH » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:49 am

Had a total mess of a week thanks to Tuesday morning and the rain/floods :(

Taking Maisie for her early morning walk which involves driving down to the Quayside business park I was on Scotswood road driving carefully through the weather. [30 in a 50 limit]. I don't know if it was reflections of light making things look normal but suddenly I drove into about 1.5-foot depth of flood water. The engine cut out :cry:

Traffic Control truck heading in the opposite direction turned round the roundabout and the guy pushed me up out of the deep part onto a slight rise allowing me to get out of the car without flooding my shoes. He also closed off Scotswood road in both directions declaring it officially impassable.

Poor Maisie got to do her walk and 'business' along the grass by the road and was put safely back in the car where I thought I could just restart it once it had drip-dried out a bit.....

How far out of date am I?????????

I'm sure in years gone by the engine would drain of water, then if it didn't turn over a spray of WD40 of certain areas would fix that, and running the engine would then dry out the rest. :( It seems todays cars are not now designed to 'go outside' the way they used to do.

I was told the air filter will have turned to blottting paper making that useless, and it is not impossible that the engine might be wrecked and the car a 'write off' :shock: What the heck???

The RAC said about 75 minutes to wait for the truck to arrive. That would have been 7:45. Got a call from him at 8:00 saying he was in Washington and everything was stuck - the A1 was a flooded mess. I stayed as long as possible and eventually needed to find somewhere to leave the keys and to start walking Maisie the 3-miles back towards home. Hospital appointment for OH meant I was on a time limit. I found out later it took the RAC almost 4 hours to get to my car (from the 8am phonecall from him).

Got a hire car replacement for now, but it has not been a good week at all.