Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
giraffe
Twigi

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#7861 Post by giraffe » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:09 pm

MBH that sounds really miserable. Hope it gets sorted out soon.

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#7862 Post by clvrlad » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:19 pm

owch

hope everything turns out ok with the car
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#7863 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:59 pm

Oh, poor you!! How ridiculous that a car can't just "dry out"!!! That's the trouble with new cars these days, they are too clever for their own good, and if anything goes wrong with them you can't fix them yourself... :roll: Fingers crossed that it isn't as bad as predicted (surely not??) and that they can sort it out without too much trouble.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

kathlyn

#7864 Post by kathlyn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:57 pm

Hope it dries out MBH. It happened to my OH's car several years ago but it did eventually dry out and work again. Although he did have to drill a hole in the floor to drain the water out of the inside.
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#7865 Post by gill216 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:40 pm

Hope that sorts out favourably for you MBH.
I'm still sitting outside in the sunshine in Withernsea while my daughter is sitting in Spain in torrential rain. All of the schools in Andalucia were evacuated yesterday because of a potential hurricane. They are going to a mojito party on someone's covered patio this afternoon just for the hell of it.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7866 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:42 pm

.. to a cookery festival at the Royal Masonic School for girls, and watched a pastry demonstration by Richard Bertinet. He made choux pastry swans, mille feuille with raspberries and pistachios and tarts with creme patisierre. They looked fabulous. Mind you, as he was doing it, I was imagining the hideous mess I would be making if it was me doing them... :lol:

And now I'm about to have some people round for a meal - nothing so fancy, I can assure you!! :lol:

giraffe
Twigi

#7867 Post by giraffe » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:18 pm

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7868 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:34 pm

So, what are YOU worrying about??* :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

*I jest, of course. Hope you have good car-related news soon. ;)

...Today I've mostly bin...
walking a bit more of the Ver Colne Valley Walk. It was a nice day and pleasant scenery, which took in a visit to Redbournbury Mill
http://www.redbournburymill.co.uk/

If you're ever in the area it's well worth a visit. It only costs £2 to look around the three floors, and there are displays and lots of stuff to look at. The best part is that it's a WORKING watermill, which produces several different types of flour, and has a bakery attached which sells artisan breads.When the mill is operating, the whole building vibrates as you walk round it! There is also a fantastic working steam engine which was rebuilt with the intention of helping the mill work because the water levels dropped, but isn't actually used for that purpose. However it is fired up and you can watch all the pistons bobbing up and down and all the spindles turning etc. (yes, I am sad enough to quite enjoy things like that! :lol: ) And the best part is that you can then buy all the different breads and try them out. We got some really yummy round of organic wholemeal cheese and onion bread - which was only £1.50!

This is all part of my current mission to visit all the nice places which are a stone's throw away from me that I have never quite been to. As soon as we have another nice day I intend to do the other half of the walk and investigate what I've missed there... :D

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#7869 Post by MBH » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:48 pm

If I get a chance to get on here I'll go on the whinge thread about car-hire replacement vehicle (dis-)organization :roll: NOT had a good week at all.

Immediatly stung for £75 excess fee by the car repair centre, and eventually have a courtesy car that is a brand new tin box with no suspension. (Well that's what it feels like compared to the Insignia I drive).

The weekend has now vanished and I'm back to work tomorrow :( Whatever will happen NEXT?

I'm off to bed.

Well done those solving CISRA puzzles - I looked at them but got nowhere (even looking over shoulders in GoogleDocs) - and I'd never heard of that gasket thing :roll: For the 'Who Shot First', I saw the letters that needed replacing but would never have seen the source of the words... Not a good start.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7870 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:17 pm

Night night MBH. Hope this is a better week for you. ;)

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7871 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:36 am

...hearing about the project (s) for research that my son has chosen for his PhD...OK...wait for it...yet another really relevant, grounded, career, real-world topic which will lead to a job ( :? )(cue fanfare)....

astrobiology.
Yes, folks, you heard it here first. My son is looking into life from other planets. Appropriate, or what??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#7872 Post by gill216 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:13 am

Funny you should mention that. I watched a late night prog. the other night about the Big Bang Theory and I was fascinated by the alternate theory's and scientists reasons for them. I bet those involved in the research are paid silly money so I say good luck to D.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7873 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:30 pm

He is now asleep on my sofa (as you can imagine, all 6 foot 4 of him taking up the entirety of our three seater sofa) having been fed real food for the first time in weeks. He was really pleased with his purchase, yesterday, of a wooden children's toy cooker, which he says is perfect to put his telly on the top and his playstation in the oven bit. :lol: :lol: He did have to splash out though, it cost him 20p from the "20p shop"!! :lol: :lol: He couldn't understand why we thought that was so funny!

clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

#7874 Post by clvrlad » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:52 pm

sounds sensible ;-)

you sure he's not from yorkshire?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7875 Post by Bunnylump » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:58 pm

No, definitely from another planet...hence the desire to investigate the other life forms, I think... :lol:

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#7876 Post by MBH » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:34 pm

I really, REALLY want his Tutor / Mentor / or whatever they have at that level to be call JIM. If so I can write the last line of his project report NOW :lol:

Maisie has finished the bit of class-training we'd planned for her and don't think we can go a lot further with formal classes - her upbringing has been too different to the usual dogs that attend these classes. Instead over the weekend I hired the enclosure at the training place for a half hour and let her run free :D An amazing sight to see her flying around and stretching her legs.

She got the treat of munching her way through a dried pigs ear (she had one at home but it stunk, so the other one was saved for this trip), and we got a chance to try getting her to come to us from an off-lead situation. Since she can still run twice as fast as Usain Bolt this isn't something I wanted to chance outside a properly enclosed space.

I think she enjoyed herself - :lol:
Attachments
DogTired.JPG
DogTired.JPG (49.38 KiB) Viewed 1059 times

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#7877 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:48 pm

Aah, it's a dog's life! :lol:

Today I've mostly bin...shocked. Just found out that a year 11 (that's a boy who's 15 or 16) has been exposing his tackle IN LESSONS - under the desk. :shock: What is the world coming to? :?

Redfraggle
Glamorous Granny
Currently reading: 50 Shades of Grey

#7878 Post by Redfraggle » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:20 pm

Do you think I could get over my fear of dogs if I was to get a tiny one? We were burlged last week 2 nights in a row (Thursday and Friday) and since then I can't sleep at all. Everyone keeps telling me to get a dog - even the police said it. Im almost convinced but I am terrified. I only heard them in the house because of the squeaky stools in the kitchen.

Laura

#7879 Post by Laura » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:31 pm

Well, I hate animals, in that I just don't want to be near them - obviously I would never hurt one. As that would involve going near one. BUT, I did childmind for some girls when I was a teenager who got a couple of kittens. And because they were TINY and very cute when they got them, I was ok, and as they grew I didn't notice so much and didn't mind them as much as other animals. If you really do feel that you have to get a dog, then that might be an easier way to start?

Redfraggle
Glamorous Granny
Currently reading: 50 Shades of Grey

#7880 Post by Redfraggle » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:35 pm

Im really not sleeping - Im feeling extremely anxious and that's not me at all. Ivan didn't hear them and it was my worst nightmare to have to whisper 'Ivan there's somebody in the house.' But I ran to confront them but now Im not sleeping and I actually feel i could maybe get a dog (a small one). :roll: