Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
giraffe
Twigi

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#8061 Post by giraffe » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:24 pm

Two of mine live 17 miles from school and it's not the getting close to school that is the problem so much as getting to the main road at this end. That said we don't very often get snowed in.

It's a 3 mile walk to the bus stop for my children since they changed the bus route. That would also involve crossing the motorway junction on foot and walking about 2 miles down a country lane with no pavement and trees that meet overhead so it is dark in the middle of the day. I argued the toss with the bus company about the changes to the bus route, and the accomanying 62% price rise in fares, but it made no difference.

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#8062 Post by LAT » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:00 pm

MBH wrote:Primary school was about 400 yards with a lollipop lady across the main road. I always walked there as well (not sure what age I started walking alone - I bet it was before 9).
By the age of 9 I was cycling to school on my own - a distance of about three-quarters of a mile. But not until I had passed my cycling proficiency test I think.

Looby

#8063 Post by Looby » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:31 pm

I used to walk the half mile to school at the age of 4. A group of 5 of us walked together in the care of the 'big' girl who lived round the corner (she was 8!)
There's no point in having a last minute if you don't use it!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#8064 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:44 pm

I must admit I used to walk to school when I was in infant school (5 to 7), which involved crossing two roads. But then those were the days when we were allowed to "play out" in the road from about the age of 4 - we'd have our breakfast at the weekend and then disappear out, playing with all the other kids in the street until dinner time. My parents wouldn't have a clue where I'd got to. Oh, how times change...

Mind you, I did have to laugh the other day. I said to a group of students I was speaking to that if they forgot to use full stops and capital letters I would rip their arms and legs off and beat them about the head with them...like you do... :lol: . One of them is on the Autistic spectrum, and takes things literally. She looked really shocked and said "MISS, you can't do that! It's illegal! You might have been able to do things like that in the 1970s, but NOT NOWADAYS!!" :lol: :lol: Now, I remember being smacked, and having board rubbers thrown at my head, but I don't remember arms and legs being ripped off with impunity... :lol: :lol:

!
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

giraffe
Twigi

#8065 Post by giraffe » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:15 pm

...worried that K's school might be closed tomorrow. She has her Maths A level in the afternoon, and if the school is closed she will have to take it in the summer. She was hoping to be able to drop Maths and concentrate on the other three. :(

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#8066 Post by gill216 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:32 pm

Not looking good in our area for snow either. We've already had enough to make our drive and road lethal by morning if it freezes. We've swapped our cars around so the old banger is the accessible one and it wont be the end of the world if we (or anyone else) slide and bump it. Our fence is usually our first port of call if it gets icy. Everyone else's too!

We have 2 funerals. One tomorrow in what is probably the worst part of Leeds to get to if it snows heavily and the other in Newcastle on Monday. Not sure we will make it to either.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8067 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:53 pm

Oh, crikey, Gill, that doesn't sound good!! :(

To Giraffe: our school is opening for exams come hell or high water. On Monday (when we got the first lot) the rest of the school was sent home but the kids doing exams stayed. The school paid for taxis to get them all home. They will be doing the same tomorrow.

giraffe
Twigi

#8068 Post by giraffe » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:08 pm

K's school says that there are three options Green the school is open, Amber exams are on, but nothing else, Red it's closed. They don't normally close for anything, but they are expecting a foot of snow tomorrow, and at least half the pupils are bussed in from Wolverhampton, 20 miles away. A couple of years ago the busses got stuck on the motorway, so they have decided to be a bit more cautious.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8069 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:11 pm

:( That's really horrible for her, not knowing. Especially after having done a load of work beforehand. How frustrating!

LAT
Nagging Nora

#8070 Post by LAT » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:22 pm

Oh dear, that is a pain for Kingsley. Hope for green or amber - as long as it is safe for them.

giraffe
Twigi

#8071 Post by giraffe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:06 am

:D or should I say :mrgreen:

Website says green!!!!

kathlyn

#8072 Post by kathlyn » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:35 am

Hope the maths exam goes well Kingsley.

It started snowing about 1am this morning but it's very fine snow so it's only about an inch deep and has only just covered the area where OH car was overnight and he left 4 hrs ago. Just spoken to OH and in Derby you can't see through the snow that's falling outside his office window.
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#8073 Post by eirian » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:13 am

there was a light coating this morning when I left home. It's currently snowing outside here in the centre of Manchester, but I don't think it's heavy enough to cause problems. Just hope it's not too bad at home - I need it falling, but not enough to mean the car needs digging out/defrosting, so I can get Sigur to come and pick me up from the tram stop!
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8074 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:49 am

It's very fine snow here, but has kept going for a few hours now. Roads are still just driveable at the moment but are gradually deteriorating. Our school is shutting (main school) at 12 30) but the exams are continuing. Fortunately for me I've finished the ones I'm concerned with for today and am home OK. K managed to convince her Head to let her come home from the school she teaches at. She works in Chorleywood, which would involve a massively steep hill on a little lane back up to the main road through the common. She would then either have the M25 to drive along plus another 5 or 6 miles across our town, OR travelling all the way back down single track lanes. So I am relieved she's back safe. D has just had a callout from the DCLG because they have a humidity alarm going off. He's said he'll WALK there to have a look at it!! Very wise, I'd say, but of course he won't be able to take many tools with him. :roll:

It's completely crazy the way this country grinds to a halt at the first sign of bad weather, isn't it?

giraffe
Twigi

#8075 Post by giraffe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Lally's school closed at 11,30, so glad I didn't send her in, and F's is closing at 1.30. Was feeling like a bad mother, but not any longer. K's exam is starting half an hour early so they can leave a bit early.

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#8076 Post by MBH » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:25 pm

A few flakes of snow to add to the little bit of 'frosting' we had earlier in the week. Roads are fine.

It was commented on the local radio about the fact that SNOW is only national news when it falls in the South :lol:

Does anyone think that the media is now OVER-reacting with all the weather warnings? It's actually putting people off doing things for fear of bad weather than never materializes.

Everybody stay safe, and look after yourselves ;)

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8077 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:31 pm

Yes, I agree, MBH. The dire warnings which have been being given have been very OTT. Having said that, it IS still snowing here and it's getting heavier, so I might yet eat my words!! But I suppose it does remind people to do things like check on elderly neighbours, etc.

LAT
Nagging Nora

#8078 Post by LAT » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:58 pm

We have fairly heavy snow here and it is still falling. Managed, just, to get my car down to the village where I have left it so it will be easier to get out next time we need to go anywhere. At one point I had to veer to the wrong side of the road when the car in front of me slowed too much going up a hill and I didn't fancy having to stop and restart! :shock: There was already one car on the wrong side of the road there looking stuck! :roll:
Then we went in N's car to do the weekly shop - picking our route carefully as the normal road we would use looked blocked. Coming home we again had to detour and have left the car a short walk from the house, not where we would have liked to but we decided against riskin the hill where I'd had to take the avoiding action.

It seems unlikely we will get to the funeral. :(

We certainly hear plenty about the snow wherever it falls but I suppose if it falls heavily in the south then the travel disruption etc affects more people so it is considered of greater interest.

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#8079 Post by eirian » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:53 pm

I'm not sure that it particularly affects more people in the south, it just affects the people who make the news...

But that sounds awful LAT. Please take care!

I do hope Kingsley's exam has gone ok.

We seem to have escaped the worst here, but for all those caught up in it, keep warm!

I agree that the warnings do seem to have been a bit OTT for most of the country, but it's better for people to be over-prepared than under-prepared and get caught out. Although I suspect there are quite a few kids really fed up that they won't be able to build the promised snowman!
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

Wulfruna

#8080 Post by Wulfruna » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:19 pm

We've not had any snow yet here down by the coast, but it's usually the inland areas that are most affected in the South West. I agree that the media reports are way OTT - and they imply that we are unprepared and helpless when the snow appears. They ignore the fact that many other countries are similarly affected but don't panic about it - they just "shut up shop" for a couple of days when the snow first causes (normal!) disruption and don't worry about it - it is perfectly ok for schools and offices to close so that people don't feel guilty about not trying to travel on those days. It is all only temporary after all!