Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
clvrlad
Currently reading: snuff

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#8381 Post by clvrlad » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:25 am

dont disagree except i'm carrying the bags :-p
There are 10 kinds of people in the world
Those who understand binary, and those that don't.
DVP anon member........errr what was it again.....

giraffe
Twigi

#8382 Post by giraffe » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:15 pm

To Southampton (Yesterday) and back. Worn out with all the walking I have done.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

#8383 Post by Bunnylump » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:22 pm

Did you have a nice time there though? :D

I've been clearing out a bit more stuff from the house, doing 5 loads of washing, erecting the giant gazebo to put the contents of our two sheds in it so D can start to empty them and dismantle them (we have a giant new shed being delivered next weekend) doing a massive Tesco shop. I really do know how to have fun, don't I? :roll: Place looks like a bomb has hit it too. :roll:

Mind you, at least Tortie is happy, it's actually warm enough for him for a change, so he's been hurtling around the patio at top speed. :lol:
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

chazzie

#8384 Post by chazzie » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:54 pm

giraffe wrote:To Southampton (Yesterday) and back. Worn out with all the walking I have done.

You should have said - I was actually at home in Soton yesterday... would have welcomed you with a cup of tea - and chance to put your feet up!!!

Hope you had a good day!

giraffe
Twigi

#8385 Post by giraffe » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:00 pm

Thank you for the kind offer, but we didn't leave here until 3.30 yesterday in the end. It was a bit of a flying visit for the university open day today. It's all changed rather a lot in the 25 years since I graduated, but it was nice to have a look round, and F seemed to quite like it.

giraffe
Twigi

#8386 Post by giraffe » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:08 pm

This afternoon I'm taking both girls to Malvern to the National Schools Symphony Orchestra week. Lally wasn't keen to go last year, but has been looking forward to returning this year ever since. :roll:

gill216
She who cannot be Thwarted
Currently reading: Nothing

#8387 Post by gill216 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:43 pm

Update on the e bike. 15 miles this morning. Even managed not to stop when cars were coming. That's progress!

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#8388 Post by LAT » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:41 pm

Just for Gill :D a quote from one of my daughter's updates - concerning cycling in Shanghai

It’s been really good fun becoming a part of the city’s traffic flow. Crossroads in particular are crazy: each side of the road often has three if not four or five lanes, the last of which, for turning right, pays no attention whatsoever to traffic lights. Nor do cyclists, no matter which way they’re going. So sometimes you find yourself in a mass of cyclists moving in twelve different directions (right, left and straight, from four different sides), four lanes of cars turning right despite pedestrians crossing, plus whichever cars are legitimately meant to be moving. I’m not sure if that explains it very well, but it’s mental – and a wonder there aren’t more accidents!

She did go on to say that she had worked out the routes to and from her office, schools and shops that involve the fewest left turns. :lol:

Cenwulf
The Complete Fool
Currently reading: Schott's Miscellanies

#8389 Post by Cenwulf » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:57 pm

... catching up.
I haven't been on the forum since mid-April*. This is probably due to lack of 'mood', but I have also been fairly busy doing something else.
I think my 'mood' was depleted right down by the presence of audio puzzles in the '24' issue, and as I Don't Do** audio this meant that I was put off the whole set.

*Apart form a few times when I've visited as a Guest or logged on as 'anagram'.

**I prefer something I can print out, so I can use Google if necessary; sounds can't even be printed, let alone Googled. When you're as clueless as me about pop music, trying to identify sound clips is probably a non-starter.
Unfortunately, the number of ways of doing something wrong far exceed the number of ways of doing it right. G. Kasparov

16000 - 30/03/2017

neves-ytnewt rebmun rebmem suomynona srelzzup

gill216

#8390 Post by gill216 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:37 pm

Cupboard clearing while OH is cycling part of the Pennine trail. I tipped every cupboard and shelf contents onto the floor and I have 6 bags. Not carriers, proper bags. I have a fishing bag, golf bag, cycle bag music bag, toolbag and a sh**te bag. None of which came from their own cupboard or shelf. Not counting the empty battery cardboards, mint wrappers etc that are all now in the bin. Whats worse is I'm talking about one room in the caravan and I'm not finished yet!

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8391 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:56 pm

Cenwulf wrote:... catching up.
I haven't been on the forum since mid-April*. This is probably due to lack of 'mood', but I have also been fairly busy doing something else.
I think my 'mood' was depleted right down by the presence of audio puzzles in the '24' issue, and as I Don't Do** audio this meant that I was put off the whole set.

*Apart form a few times when I've visited as a Guest or logged on as 'anagram'.

**I prefer something I can print out, so I can use Google if necessary; sounds can't even be printed, let alone Googled. When you're as clueless as me about pop music, trying to identify sound clips is probably a non-starter.
We all have puzzles we can't do for various reasons!! I like audio puzzles... :lol: But then I expect YOU like sudokus...I absolutely detest them. So Scurra tries to put in a mix to suit all tastes, and I think he does a pretty good job, especially bearing in mind what a funny bunch we all are. :lol:

gill216

#8392 Post by gill216 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:21 pm

Scurra tries to put in a mix to suit all tastes, and I think he does a pretty good job, especially bearing in mind what a funny bunch we all are. :lol:
Hear hear from me on that Bunny. I have NO input to the mag puzzle content. Some puzzles I love, some I hate- and sometimes I come across a puzzle I struggle with only to slap my forehead in retrospect. I've done this very very recently. Sometimes puzzles are put there to remind us of things we should be looking for but have forgotten to do so.

Also well done to Cenwulf for voicing his critiscisms in a constructive way. They won't be ignored but neither will they affect future issues if I know our editor well.

Something for everyone is his aim. He seems to know us all well and sometimes he has to upset some of us. That's just how it is. :)

giraffe
Twigi

#8393 Post by giraffe » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:57 am

I don't do audio puzzles as I'm tone deaf. But someone kindly posted a list of the tunes, which I then used to solve one of them I think. It turned it into a printable puzzle.

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#8394 Post by MBH » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:28 am

giraffe wrote:someone kindly posted a list of the tunes, which I then used to solve one of them I think. It turned it into a printable puzzle.
That makes sense - it takes one step out of a multi-step puzzle but still leaves the solution to be discovered.

I've done NO puzzle work for ages - no time, and SO tired - not a good combination for concentrated thinking :( I've not vanished though, and I like the fact I can come back into the gang at any time and be welcome :)

giraffe
Twigi

#8395 Post by giraffe » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:21 am

....hanging wallpaper. It is so humid today that I'm absolutely dripping. Six strips hung and I am now contemplating the window and radiator.

eirian
Currently reading: Thomas the Tank Engine (and friends)

#8396 Post by eirian » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:37 pm

MBH wrote:I've done NO puzzle work for ages - no time, and SO tired - not a good combination for concentrated thinking :( I've not vanished though, and I like the fact I can come back into the gang at any time and be welcome :)
I know exactly how you feel, MBH. I've not done puzzles for ages - just no time, but it's good to know we will always be part of the 'gang' :)
Perseverance: - the courage to ignore the obvious wisdom and carry on anyway

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#8397 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:27 pm

Of course you will! :D I have no internet at the mo so am on phone very difficult to see and to type.

Wulfruna

#8398 Post by Wulfruna » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Wow - that's quite a few of us being a bit slow on the puzzle front (including me :? ), but still enjoying the whole sense of being a community with a common cause...... :D
Hopefully the reality is that most of us are still basically enjoying the puzzle challenges, but not necessarily completing them all in the traditional way and within the traditional timescale. I also hate the audio ones, but just blot those out of my consciousness and try to carry on with the rest (well, maybe not all....... :roll: ).
Let's not forget that Scurra is busting his guts (together with his loyal team of setters - which of course includes Cenwulf ;) )to supply us with a regular publication, as promised for our subscription.
Please don't be put off, O Mighty Jester, by the thought that we are a bit slow on the uptake with regard to the puzzles themselves - we still love them!

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#8399 Post by MBH » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:13 pm

Been into my personal email for the first time in AGES and found a Password for the current issue :oops: Hmmmm - maybe I should at least have a look.

giraffe
Twigi

#8400 Post by giraffe » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:23 pm

.....finishing the decorating.