Future of Puzzlebrains

Messages to the Puzzlebrains community.
Scurra
Alias the Jester

Future of Puzzlebrains

#1 Post by Scurra » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:11 pm

So, it’s been a while. :D

First, the good news – Puzzlebrains isn’t going away. The unexpected - and frustratingly serious - issues with the website have encouraged me to pursue a complete reconstruction of the puzzle site, which I have been working on for the past few months, to the point that, whilst it is certainly not yet complete, it is working sufficiently well that I’m ready to invite folk to come and test it out.
The bad news is that you will need to register again! And the worse news is that it is possible that – at some point in the future when I change the web-address – you may need to register all over again… (Although I am a little more optimistic that this time it will work out alright because the data is a little more under my control.)

And the other bad news is that, at the moment, the site only has two actual puzzle sets available – one is a demonstration set that has been made available before and is designed as a sample for new visitors, and the other is the current set (issue 44 – The Treasure) which, as a result of the site mess-up, did not previously have an answer checker, so that’s a start, at least! And the new site allows for some fun new features, which I’m sure you will discover when you explore.

So, point your browsers at https://www.scurra.com/puzzles and create an account and see if you can break stuff! If you have problems, drop me a PM and I will see if I can figure out what is going wrong. It’s worth remembering that different computers and different web-browsers display pages differently which can be a nuisance. I have tried to check as much as possible but I am always ready to be surprised… I am working on earlier issues but I am not going to make them available until I am happy that they are working correctly. And at the moment, my priority is also in moving forwards.

Hence, the good news is that there will definitely (yeah, right!) be two more issues of Puzzlebrains before the end of this year – and, with my optimistic hat on, there will be four issues next year. But the first of those issues won’t arrive until late summer (possibly August), with the intention that the second will arrive at the beginning of December.

And yes, I will be asking you for money. ;) But not straightaway. After talking with various folk, I have concluded that, if I’m going to be doing two puzzle sets this year, then it would probably be fair to ask for a £10 subscription fee. But we’re not going to ask you to pay up until there’s an actual new puzzle set for you to do. Consider this a sort of advance notice.

In the interim, there may well be some new one-off puzzles for you to do on the revised website and the forum will be here as usual; please share your news so we don’t just fade away.
Thanks for bearing with me, and thanks for all your support over the last ten years (!!)

-- David

p.s. I will be sending this message out in a few weeks time by email too, as I want folk who are not regular visitors to the forum to see it. So I apologise if it feels like spam, although I hope that this time it doesn’t get treated as spam as some previous messages have seemingly been. :(
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

Scurra
Alias the Jester

Re: Future of Puzzlebrains

#2 Post by Scurra » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:53 am

Update: hopefully folk will have received an email outlining the future plans and, yes, asking for money. :)

Summary: two issues this year (September and December), and four next year. And a new website that hopefully won't be quite as prone to breaking as the old one was!
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".