Today I've mostly bin...

Chat about anything and everything under the sun.
Forum rules
Please don't discuss puzzles in here! Thank you.
Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott
Currently reading: Go Set a Watchman

Re: Today I've mostly bin...

#5761 Post by Bunnylump » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:34 pm

Yes, I did. But it was pretty dead. It was very old (we found a receipt for it when clearing out - it was second hand in 1952 and cost £10 (which they had to pay in three instalments!) It was an old upright wooden frame piano whose frame had warped. It had got to the stage of not being tunable. The sound it made when we heaved it onto the van was horrific. It sounded like something you'd have in a nightmare.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

“Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.”

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#5762 Post by tricia » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Bunnylump wrote:I'll be there. Probably in about 9 hours? So that would make an unusual breakfast... :lol:

NOoooooooooo- we'll just say you a\re on the nigt shift and have turned thte day round. Or as it is Australian - it would be tghe right time :lol: :lol:
Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5763 Post by Bunnylump » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:22 pm

...Going to watch my daughter's class perform the song she wrote. The headmistress is leaving, and K has written a song for her. She's recorded the piano part and taught her kids the song (they are 7 and 8 year olds), get this - including counter melodies! The kids did AMAZINGLY well - they were actually IN TUNE (pretty impressive to get 30 8 year olds singing in time and in tune!). They did their performance outside, and she even got them to sing loudly enough for everyone to hear.

The headteacher was in tears... :)

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#5764 Post by Scurra » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:43 pm

Not writing the 50,000th post. :)

(In fact, this is something like post 50,500 because messages have been deleted and moved and so on. But still, 50,000! And only half of them were made by the dancing rabbit.)
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

tricia
Currently reading: The secret life of Bletchley Park Sincla

#5765 Post by tricia » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:13 pm

Today took a very stressed Olly to the vet to get his jabs. He hates the basket - we have never found an easy way to get him in. But when he is coming home - he goes straight in

Tricia
Curiosity killed the cat But satisfaction revived it!!

Those who ask can be helped

Wulfruna

#5766 Post by Wulfruna » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:45 pm

Being Grandma :lol: :lol: ! We've had a lovely morning in the park feeding the ducks and playing ball with Thomas. It's just a quick visit, as we are on our way back from a conference which was taking place not too far away and we couldn't pass up the chance to call by.
We haven't seen him since Easter (other than on video via Skype). But it was the most wonderful experience when we arrived and he greeted us from the front door with a massive grin and hands clapping in excitement :D :D

giraffe
Twigi

#5767 Post by giraffe » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Sounds like you had a nice morning Grandma!

.....walpapering. Slightly less stressful than yesterday, but the next bit has a plug socket, a window and a radiator. :evil:

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5768 Post by Bunnylump » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:32 am

Don't you worry, Thomas. You'll soon be as gobby as me... :lol:

kathlyn

#5769 Post by kathlyn » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:10 pm

Been out looking at laptops not sure which one to get so just having a play on OHs to see if I like it then maybe on Monday we'll go and buy me one.
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

Scurra
Alias the Jester

#5770 Post by Scurra » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:20 pm

These days the only thing that really matters on a laptop is the keyboard and the screen.
What's "under the lid" is almost certainly powerful enough to run anything you want, so it doesn't matter too much what the specification is. But if the keyboard is too cramped or the screen isn't clear enough then you will regret it!

My own personal prejudice: don't, whatever you do, get seduced by these new "tablets". They look very nice and the touchscreens are neat, but in my experience they are surprisingly inconvenient to actually use for anything other than e.g. watching a video.
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.
All of my puzzles are simple and obvious. For certain values of "simple" and "obvious".

giraffe
Twigi

#5771 Post by giraffe » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:55 pm

Kingsley had a laptop for her last birthday and we all seem to find it difficult to use. It also doesn't seem to be compatible with anything. We tried to plug a mouse into it and it refused to recognise it, and it won't speak to our printer. Mine is only about a year or 18 months older and is lighter and easier to use. And the screen on hers seems to be wide and not very tall. I think they are both Dell.

kathlyn

#5772 Post by kathlyn » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:50 pm

OHs is a sony which he's only had for a few months. I didn't like it to begin with but after having a play with it today it seems ok. Just a matter of getting used to the new spec.
We don't stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing!

giraffe
Twigi

#5773 Post by giraffe » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:24 pm

Had a bunch of Lallys friends over and took them to see Harry Potter , then back here for sandwiches and birthday cake.

Really enjoyed the film, much better than the last couple. It tied up all the loose ends nicely, and although somethings were different to the book they were just as good. I'll have to go to see it again, after all Kingsley hasn't been. :mrgreen:

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#5774 Post by LAT » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:49 pm

Oooh, how exciting! We are hoping to go next sunday when my daughter will be home, but the tickets don't seem to be on sale yet. I might have to send OH to the cinema to see if he can book it.

giraffe
Twigi

#5775 Post by giraffe » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:56 pm

I bought tickets 3 or 4 weeks ago. I couldn't do it online as it was too complicated and it wouldn't let me buy the right number of tickets, so I went down to the cinema.

giraffe
Twigi

#5776 Post by giraffe » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:10 am

HOOOOORAAAAAAY! Just hung the last bit of wallpaper in Lally's room. :D

Now to get the furniture back in before Kingsley gets back this afternoon and finds little sister has taken up residence in her bedroom!

kathlyn

#5777 Post by kathlyn » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:49 pm

Got my new laptop :D , now got to learn everything agian :roll:

LAT
Nagging Nora
Currently reading: Piranesi

#5778 Post by LAT » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:34 pm

My husband's laptop died today so he had to go out to buy a new one too!

.....I've been following a trail in Bucks/Herts. Well sort of two trails in fact. One on foot round a lake renowned for wildlife, in particular birds; and the other in a car with frequent stops visting the surrounding area.
Bunnylump has put together a great trail for the meet in August and I had the pleasure of trying it out today. :D It's looking really good and lots of hard work has gone into preparing it. She is a clever purple rabbit. :D

MBH
King of the Swingers
Currently reading: 39 Clues series/Darksmith series/and....

#5779 Post by MBH » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:43 pm

LAT wrote:She is a clever purple rabbit. :D
She certainly is :D [Big hugs for Sis]

Sounds like you've had a good day LAT - I'm sure the gang will enjoy it in a couple of weeks.

Bunnylump
Granny Boingybott

#5780 Post by Bunnylump » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:59 am

I had great fun with LAT trying things out on her. And she's come up with lots of extra questions and some much more sensible ideas for organising it all which I would never have thought of. :D Oh, and she's also sorted out all my directions, which, as usual, were most often saying "left" when I meant "right" :oops: :lol: And of course we had to "try out" the pub together... :mrgreen: